1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Rakhii, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies, I simply had to share my story with you. I hope it will motivate others who are struggling or apprehensive that weight loss isn't possible.

I had never been obese but I was overweight by the time I delivered my baby.

Dec2011: 71 kgs
    Pre-pregnancy: 61 kgs
    Pre- marriage: 55 kgs
    As of today (21Jan13): 60
    Weight lost: 11 kgs in 1 year.

My ideal weight range: 53-56, based on my height. With breast feeding, being on maternity leave and all, I hardly reduced any weight for the first 6 months after delivery. I thought I would go on drastic diet plans like GM diet, cabbage soup diet etc. I used to reduce when I do the diet for a week but used to put back every thing under a week later. So, I was going in circles. Also, I had noticed that these diets were making my breasts sag. I used to/still do (take pride in them, lol) love my breasts and that really put me off the drastic diets.

I researched a lot and finally came to a realization (for the first time, quite literally), that weight loss should never be my goal. Healthy mind and body should be my goal and my life style. I realized that my entire life style should take a 360 d turn.

Then, for a week I sat down and really concentrated/meditated on what I want in life and if weight loss is one of the top 5 in my list. I realized that being my pre-marriage self is important to me for a verity or reasons. In that week, I also trained my mind that no matter what, I will respect my body and will not feed it junk (not everyday at least). It deserves better. It deserves loving yet, consistent care. Its my temple where my soul rests. That was it. Training my mind was half the battle won. This step, I realized, is extremely important before we begin to make changes in my plans.

I looked at a couple of websites and narrowed it down to a website which gave me a meal plan (free) for the number of calories I needed to consume per day. According my weight loss goal, I wanted to burn 2 pounds a week (a little under a kilo). I also downloaded an app in my phone which shows me how many calories a particular food has. That's all I needed for a healthy weight loss. In 6 months flat, I went down from 71 kgs to 60 kgs. Not bad eh?
    Like I said, my meal plan is carefully chosen which supplements all the required vitamins and minerals needed for a body.

I still have 5 more kgs to go to go back to my pre-marriage weight but I am 100% sure I will get there in under 2.5 months.

So, ladies, its possible to loose weight in a healthy way. I am a prime example. If anyone is interested in my meal plan, I can show you how I do it.

Good luck!!!

Laxmi, upavi, pinky84 and 8 others like this.

2. Rakhii

My food intake as of yesterday:

Yesterdays Menu:
    Breakfast: large coffee with 1 milk and 1/2 sugar: 20 calories, 1 bread slice, toasted but no butter (90 calories); hard boiled egg 1 (60 calories)
    Snack: 1/2 cup blueberries (41 calories)
    Lunch: 1.5 cup cooked whole wheat Pasta salad with light tuna (300 calories)
    Snack: Low fat jello (5 calories, more coffee 15 calories)
    Dinner: 1.5 cup cooked wild rice with pasta sauce and 1/2 green pepper (320 calories)

Total calorie intake 851 give or take.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rakhi congrats on losing weight. if i may say so, that is too low calories. that you are having. i seriously can't comprehend the culture of popping multivitamins, vitamins along with food. you live in a place with abundant variety of fruits,and nuts, why not go for the natural way..(sorry if i am rude asking this..just curious..)

going below 1200 is always risky for a women. your body starts going into starving mode.. be cautious..

3 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Shanvy, you made real valid point. One should not put the body through starvation mode. What you have seen is only one day's schedule. It was one off day as I had slept at 8:00 PM along with dd; else, usually I sleep at 10:30 and 30 mins before I go to bed, I usually have some fruit/cheese. So, I am under 1200 cal's but over 1000 for sure :) what you have seen is an unusual day as I had slept early.

The concept of popping multivitamins is fairly similar to the concept of prenatals. We dont pop it to cover all the vitamin requirements exclusivey. What it basically does is bring the total body vitamin requirements to 100%. Like, if I consumed 70% of my daily recommended vitamin A intake, this vitamin will help bring it to 100% and then some. Also, it covers every vitamin requirement from A-zinc; things we might not even realize we are not taking.

I have one question though, I researched a lot before I started this lifestyle 6 months ago. My research could be wrong, so correct me please if you think I am wrong. I do not eat when I am not hungry. I eat small portions when I am hungry and that's that. Even if I dont hit 1200 calories, if I am full by EOD and I had consumed only 1000, I simply leave it at that. Does that take me to starvation mode, even if I hadnt been hungry all day? I dont know. My understanding of starvation mode is that, body will stop burning fat because it thinks I am not going to feed it. That makes it 10 times harder to loose weight, because body has stopped/reduced burning fat. In that case, I should not be loosing weight consistently. So far correct?
    On the contrary, I am loosing weight every week. So, I am not 100% sure if indeed am putting my body through starvation mode. what do you think?

5. Rakhii

Yesterdays Menu: Aim to consume below 1200 calories

Breakfast: Cheese string (60), Small Tortilla + low fat strawberry jam (85+25), Large coffee with 1 milk and half sugar (20 cals)
    Snack: Celery stick: 1/3 cup (8) with homemade Hummus 2 tbsp (50)
    Lunch: extra lean minced turkey with cabbage, cauliflower, peas and beans: 1.5 cups (300)
    Snack: jello (5), blueberries 1/2 cup (41)
    Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with mixed veggies and small fillet of salmon (320)
    banana: 100

Total calorie intake: 1041

6. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Congrats on your weight loss Rakhi...

but I agree with Shanvy here, you are eating less and eat at least 1200 calories in a day..in fact forget about calories (can u keep counting calories for the rest of your life like this..every day?) so focus on eating healthy...calories will be taken care of...and yes workout...and lose weight in a such a way which you can maintain throughout your life...that is important...

Your breakfast doesn't look sufficient to me...include yogurt, fruits and nuts , milk in your diet..

Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Thanks sunnaa for the input, actually I am lactose intolerant. These days, specially after delivery, any milk is triggering a reaction too. So, I am trying to stay away from it, as much as possible. Milk products are ok though, so I try and eat yogurt/cheese.

I will try and bring to 1200 calories :); just that, I didnt want to eat just to reach the calorie count; so if I am under 1200 calories on any given day, I am fine with it.

P.S: Yes, I want to count calories until i reach my ideal weight goal. After that also I might, only the count might go to 1700 and not remain at 1200. Have to see...I havent made up my mind yet.

8. Zebensa

Zebensa New IL'ite

Hey rakhi
    hai iwas touched with your story im struggling to loose my wgt from 78 after having four kids my problem is i cant follow my diet for more than a week tell me how toset my mind to loose wgt only friends can say this not a doc
    Pls share ur meal plan with how some sweet encouragement from urside to guide me loose wgt my husband always make fun of my fatlooks i want to show him i can become thin before wedding i was only 47 kg but now78 oh god help loose my wgt pls

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. Rakhii

Zebensa, you can do this. If I can, so can you. Do not worry; you will get there. I am not sure if you can reach all the way to 47, with age factor, but I am sure you can drop till 55.

The trick is NOT to starve. Eat small portions and only when you are hungry. In the beginning you will be hungry so often, but you when you dont give in to cravings like eating rasgollas and motichoor ladoos, you will see that after a period of time, you will no longer feel the longing to have sweets.

I have got my meal plan from Heart and Stroke Foundation website based out of canada. Goggle it. My goal was to reduce 2 pounds a week and for my height it showed I must consume 1200 calories a day.

10. Rakhii

Yesterdays Menu: Aim, consuming less than 1200 calories

Breakfast: Cheese string (60), 1/2 pita bread (85), low fat strawberry jam (25), large coffee with one milk and one sugar (20)
    Snack: Rasberries+blueberries 1/2 cup (40)
    Lunch: Chili (430)
    Snack: Cottage cheese 1/4 cup (50)
    Dinner: Green salad (40), home made hot and sour Thai soup (150)
    Red wine: 4 oz, (85)
    Banana: 100

Total calories consumed: 1085