1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Chitra,
    I don't use any pesticides for any of my vegetable plants they are doing very well except greens( Thotakura & Sirikura they had some black bugs i sprayed soap water few days it took care of it)
    yields are more than what I expected I felt lot to do with the good soil and taking out all decayed leaves and loosening the soil every now and then…

Tulasi

2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Blondie,
    I bought a baby banana tree yesterday from Lowes. I would appreciate if you could give me some tips as how to take care. Thank you!
    regards,

3. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Sindhuja,

I hope you have bought the dwarf variety.:)

Some care tips are:

for Indoor:

1. water once or twice a week regularly amount depends on the size of the plant / pot.

2. Cover the potting soil with moss to reduce moisture loss due to air conditioning /heat

3. Place in a sunny spot where atlest 4 hours of direct/ indirect sunlight is available.

4. Snip off brown and wilting leaves regularly.

5. Once every 2 months fertilize (I use the slow release fertilizer sticks)

Out Door: when planted in the ground

almost none other than watering in draught and mulching to avoid loss of moisture and to transplant into pots and bring them inside before the first frost.

When planted in pots...same as indoor care

enjoy your banana plant....

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Blondie,
    Thank you for the tips. I think it is Musa basjoo (japanese). How about yours?

regards,

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Mine is a dwarf one Sindhuja. No idea as per what variety. It does not bear any fruits (none so far in 5 years). A friend of mine gave the sapling to me. Another friend of mine after seeing the banana plant in my house went and bought a regular one and it grew > 8 ft in 2 years. Now the only place she can keep it is in the 2 storey foyer where there isn't much light.

Your variety is an excellent one. You have a choice of either leaving the plant out side or bring it in during winter and no danger of killing the plant. (suitable for all zones and very cold hardy)

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Blondie,
    Thank you, Blondie. I have planted it outdoors. I just googled about the Japanese banana tree and got to know that it grows very fast. But from what I read i think mine is a ornamental one. Attached is a picture of my banana plant. There are two together. I do not know if I have to separate them or leave as it is.

regards,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  7. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi sinduja,

wow, you also started planting now. Looks good .:2thumbsup:
    with other green thumb experts here I am sure u will also have your garden in no time.

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Madhu,
    Thank you! Yes, after seeing Tulasi and Blondie's garden, my interest in gardening has been doubled . I have three types of Jasmine, and four different color rose plants. I also have pudhina. Attached is the picture of one of my rose plants which is tri-colored. First day the flower will be yellow, next day it turns orange, and third day it will become pink. My DH also loves gardening but he does not have time.

regards,

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi Sindhuja,

wow, I love ur tri color rose plant. :2thumbsup:
    I had no idea there are rose plants that change colors each day. Thanks for showing to me. I love jasmine smell. My mint plant keeps dying due to the
    sunny state. When I was in CT, I could grow mint but having hard time growing
    mint here. Any tips. I know I should probably water more.

10. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hey Sindhuja,
    Its so nice to see your rose plant.Its very colorfull..I have one rose plant which turns white then turns pink after few days..then I have couple of button rose plants with pink and red in my front yard with lots of flowers...I love roses and jasmines too
    Tulasi