1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Blondie,

That's Thotakura. Kariveppaku is one of my favourite plant.. even mine has two more small plants but very scared to replant it.

Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  2. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hey Hasini81,
    Thank you for your comments.Thats good you got motivated now
    Happy gardening
    Tulasi

3. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

Hi tulasi,

Your garden is very beautiful. I lov gardening too.
    Im so happy to see ur plants snaps. keep up the good work :2thumbsup: .

bye,

Padma.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Blondie
    Very nice pictures . I am not able to identify the plants so please if you have time just let me know the names. Also I was impressed by your grocery bag idea to water. I have been gardening for so many years never thought of this idea and its great because its so simple, yet works. thanks thanks.
    I'll get around to taking pictures of my rose garden and post sometime.
    regards
    chitra

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

the posted pictures are of banana tree, curryleaf,crepe myrtle, basil (tulasi of puple leaves kind) jasmine and the regular tomatos. By moving the cursor over the images (not clicking on it ) windows will display the file name which I have named accordingly.

I am perticularly proud of my crepe myrtle because it is sitting on < 10 inches of soil. Deeper than that all there is concrete pebbles which the builder did not remove while laying the sod carpet (lawn). I wanted to have my crape myrtle there at any cost and it did cost me more than thrice i paid for the bush at the garden store to have it planted. It was while digging that we realised what the builder did. For four years after planting the bush never flowered. After further research to adjust soil ph and adding more top soil that finally since last two years i am able to make it flower :yes:

the self watering planters available now are good for those type of plants that can tolerate continuous moisture around the roots (flowering annuals) for perennials and tomato plants the bags seem to work the best. (most of my planters are self watering)

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Blondie
    Yes I saw the names. thanks. The crepe myrtle looks cute in that size and the flowers look great. interesting story behind it. The hibiscus color is unusual too and nice. curry leaf tree has grown so good. mine is probably half the size but i need to replant it to a bigger pot.
    what are self planters? are they available in homedepot etc? do we need to water the plant in this or not?
    Thanks again
    regards
    chitra:-D

7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Chithra,

self watering planters are those that have double bottoms. You still have to water them ( what a misnomer:)) but the excess water instead of running off like in regular planter gets collected in the bottom compartment. there are holes in the dividing diaphragm through which the water seeps back into the soil. You can always place a wide receptacle under the regular planters but some of the water gets evaporated.

Yes they are available in any of the home and garden centers.

have fun gardening....

8. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Wow Tulasi and Blondie - you both have very nice vegetable gardens..!

How do you guys manage indoor plants? The jasmine fragrance is sure great - we used to have one plant indoor a couple years back and once saw bugs in the soil. Since we were expecting a baby then, left it outdoors.

-Gayathri.

9. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Blondie,

your garden too looks great and karevepaaku is my favourite and i can sense the smell :tongue which i am missing when i buy it in the grocery store.

keep posting the pics

cheers
    sreelatha

10. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hey Padma & Gayathri,
    Thank you for your compliments about the garden

Padma, Blondie also posted some beautiful pics of her garden have a look at them.

Gayathri, I normally put all my Indoor plants where the sun falls except money plant. same with outdoor plants in the winter I move them inside and once in while if the weather is good will put them out in the sun for few hours in a day for plants like jasmine & curry plant..

Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007