1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Two Cents - Kali Puja @ West Bengal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vjbunny, Nov 5, 2011.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

I wanted to see the most famous Durga Pandals during Durga Puja at Kolkata…. But due to inevitable reasons I couldn’t...I felt so sad:cry: but my nature is such that these sad feelings lost for few hours only...Later I thought chalo I will try to make it next year if possible....:thumbsup

Then a week before Deepavali I saw that Pandal erection was in full swing and came to know that it was for Kali Puja I didn’t want to miss this but my DH had made plans to go to Orissa…… I couldnt reject that as well as he had made that plans for Dasara vacations....I felt bad that I will be missing this chance as well…..

The day before I was to leave my friend informed that Pandal was fully erected ………Wow my joy knew no bounds:banana and had to hustle:spin my poor DH who came home tired but he being a dear that he is… knew how much bad I felt when I lost the opportunity to see Durga Puja...took me to Pandal...near our area……
    My DH was mesmerized and forgot his tiredness and began to clicking pictures..and outside the Pandal there was cultural programme too...which they had organised so beautifully and all the dances were folk dance and local one I dont know whether it was film based never the less it didn’t had any vulgar dances and the costumes were also colourful eye catching and decent...n Very Indian ones wow the rhythm, the songs , the dance and the dancers their costumes were so beautiful we almost spent half an hour seeing these ...It is the first time we enjoyed cultural do…. but we had to make our move as our legs started singing as this programme was conducted on road with just few chairs placed on either side of the road and there was even provision for vehicular movement...So we were seeing it standing….In summary it left us very happy....:):thumbsup

Now yesterday I went to Chandan nagar to see some more Pandals they are awesome the patience with which Jagadhatri is decorated is simply beyond words.....

Attached Files:

7 people like this.

2. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Wow! so nice to hear that you were able to visit the pandal and watched the cultural programmes and had a great time too.. You could have posted few pics also na so that we could have viewed it virtually!

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Am so glad you got to see a pandal for Kali Ma. Looks like she was equally determined to meet you. Really glad you are getting a true taste of Bengali culture and are enjoying it. :) Have fun. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi One more here the Kali I saw before leaving for Orissa....

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Wow! Awesome pics vj... have got the virtual darshan... Thanks for sharing!

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I have been to kolkatta during the Durga pooja vjb and believe me it was lovely. a festive air throughout and so crowded but a very well organized and decent crowd, I had felt. like you I too went from one pandal to the other :)))
    oh yess I just remembered...and then we went to Darjeeling and Puri..u seem to have taken the same route?:):cheers

1 person likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Bunny dear glad to know you could see the pandal and Durga Ma. Thanks for the photos, had virtual darshan because of you.

8. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear vjbunny, Good account of your experiences! :)
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics!

9. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear VJB....

A nice post on Kali puja.....

I was lucky enough to live in north-east India and had the chance to participate in the pujas.....

Manasa Puja,Vipath nasini puja,Druga puja,Lakkhi puja,Kali puja ,Saraswathi puja........

All the pujas involve community participation and enthusiasm.....

The fragrance of Dhuna- incense.......

The colorful Pandals and murthis........

The resonating Dhak...........

The Tasty Kichadi prasad.......

The pious chanting......

The dhunachi......

All the senses are stirred and devotion will bloom in everybody's heart.......

A nice account by you VJB.....

Thanks for sharing the pics and giving us a darshan of Kali ma......

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

VJB.. Hi..
    thanks for sharing the lovely moments..
    though I'm married to a Bengalee I've never been to Kolkata during Puja time that mainly being that my In-laws were settled in Bangalore but now MIL has returned to KOlkatta.. my Hubby and son had been once.. I believe its so beautiful..hopefully sometime in future I will go too..
    K