My Trip To Sravanabelagola,halebeed, And Belur

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sunkan, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

We left very early at around 6 in the morning and as we proceeded wonderful breeze promising a nice climate, and a wonderful day ahead, the sceneries are one thing always keeps me in awe, the forest range he minute we leave Bangalore all the pollution stay behind allowing our lungs to breathe with ease, we had packed enough food for the family of 14 and made our way. One can never say this route as a luxury route it is a simple one with just some café available for food, some snacks but yes manasa restaurant in Hassan had wonderful vada so huge and soft in the morning, though we had our sandwich I just could not resist the vada there, so packed some and later all felt we should had packed some more.
    The toilet is also ok always better to keep change they charge around 2rs for a trip inside, and if you are lucky you may get a very clean atmosphere, there, no western toilet facility anywhere, so one who are used to them may find it difficult in this route..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our first stop was sravanabelagola, only my sis and brother’s family climbed up as it was an uphill but yes one gets the facility of palanquin service for a 200rs service charge one is taken up and down…​

Once this darshan done it takes at least an hour and a half to go and come back from there, we moved on to halebeed the wonderland of sculptures began, as we reach there through forests one gets a feeling good, the developments are yet to pick up here in a big way, it is advisable to carry an umbrella and a torch while visiting, as it is very sunny and tough to stand around the temple and watch each and every detail, here too I advise one take a guide’s help as they explain all in detail, the sculptures are just not plain but in detail, like you will find the dance of ganesha and his pressure of feet is felt by the mouse down and one leg comes down the line of sculpture to actually show us the pressure, there are different types of narasimha it seems to be the favorite deity during the time of vishnuvardhana and other kings, heard they had come down from pandiya nadu in tamilnadu, all the mahabharatha war and the dasavatharam are prominent in the sculpture, the vamana avathara where the guru advises mahabali to be careful that the brahmana is no ordinary one is sculpted. Arjuna aiming an arrow at the fish above is also there, rows and rows of animanls are sculpted, one can sometime feel the sculpture from inside by inserting one’s hand behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place has been vandalized no doubt so the sooner one makes a trip not to miss out more the better, the statues have developed fungus kind of stuff small lines eroded due to the rain and sun, elephants, lions, annam, yali, all these are prominent liners there once inside we notice there are two different worship place of shiva one is larger than the other even nandhi is so, the little smaller one is for the queen to do her puja and the larger one is for the king to worship..
    [​IMG]

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

the ceilings are like murals with frame work around the sculpting done looks more like coins done over the period, there also we find warfare and other life in the natural forms..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the place is very cool inside and it is dark color so one has to have a torch to see things in detail, the thoranam of mango leaves are also open cut sculpting where by u get to see he inside of the sanctorium through the leaves andflower decorations,
    [​IMG]

We had our lunch on the open space under the shades of trees and cool atmosphere and relaxed for some time, it is always better to take our own drinking water and plates and packets so that we need not litter the place and put back all in a bag to be disposed on our way out, tiny figurines of ganesha and other deity are for sale here if one is lucky one can get a good set of them in different poses, we also get black stone diya’s and ganesha but the sculpting is a shameful stuff after the visual inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here u will c the ganesha's dance pressure is felt on the mouse and the sculpture comes down below the frame, this is the beauty to halebeedu, which was haalu beedu once upon a time..

We moved on to belur from there, though belur is not as elaborate still has wonderful sculpting though the style is a little different we have more leaves and snakes here in the formation around the statues..once inside we can see a independent rotating bangle in the sculpture which can be seen only with the head light available there for 10rs for which one should take receipt, I feel the best option is to carry a torch which will help all to see everything in detail, the roof work is also interlinked so one gets to view the decade old style of sculpting, from there on we return at full speed back with a short break again at manasa for an evening tiffin and coffee and move to Bangalore and reach by 10.30pm in a very elated mood from the land of vijayanagara period of sculptures..

HAPPY JOURNEYS IF YOU CAN TAKE PLEASE TAKE THIS AS A GUIDANCE....SUNKAN

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,
    Lovely write up and pictures....already my mind is planning another trip there. I have been there as a kid, but would love to take the little ones at home. Lets see when i come to india. Will definitely keep this as reference!
    Lovely pictures also!Bow

4. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,
    Superb write-up and even superb pictures..thank you for bringing us the details of your trip. I hope I will be able to take a day off to visit this place when I come on vacation this time.

Regards
    USHA

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunkan
    I read it in the mail but thought will reply to it here. it was great read this. I had been to these place some 5 to 6 yrs back. Reading the article and the pictures was remembering my trip. I had been there with my family,younger sister family and my parents. It was just wonderful. That time i never had digital camera, but have all these photos. climbing the steps in Sarvanabelagola was nice fun.
    Even after the knee problem mom climbed the steps but my sis couldn't climb, but dad had not left her alone made her climb the steps.
    I enjoyed the carving done in beloor and Halebeed, the sculptures are carved so evenly, even the smallest designs where given up most importance.
    It was just enjoyable reading all again, and remembering all the incidents.

6. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

Hi Sunkan Mam,

We are planning for a trip to Bangalore.. thanks for the info... hope we visit all these places too :)

Sasirekha

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

that was one splendid trip
    although i have been to belur/halebid
    in my school days
    we missed out on sravanabelagola
    so we climbed the steps
    pant pant...hush hush
    sweat sweat
    luckily it was not very sunny....
    and HE is carved out of a single stone...!
    not visible from the road leading to the temple...!
    you have to see the massive figure
    only after reaching the top...!!
    i was reminded of reading
    the emperors new clothes
    where a child tells the emperor
    he is wearing nothing except his undies
    ...here in sravanabelagola
    he stand huge and tall
    it must have taken some grit
    to let go of all worldly pleasures
    and stares to renounce......

the halebid experience....
    did i hear
    the anklets clink
    the damsels with beautiful ornaments
    walking.....?
    their bosoms adorned such lovely ornaments
    that they will put those designer jewels to shame..
    the great narasimha...
    his nails so sharply digging into the flesh
    bringing out the intestines so true to look....
    the ravana carved out with kailasam on his head...

what did those kings out in the past do
    when they got these artisans to go
    chip chip chip
    these marvels? for posterity?
    are there any artisans today
    who will go chip chip the same way
    even for a few millions?
    perhaps a big NO will be the answer....

this little piece of architecture
    should be made pure literature
    for kids in future
    lest they forget beautiful nature....

sathya

8. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sunkanji
    I enjoyed all your writings, the pictures.
    Very nice one ji.
    i am willing to go to these places after seeing your writings.
    Viji

9. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi sunkan maam,
    beautiful pics and a detailed narration for them...lovely....i had been to belur and halebeed as a kid with my parents....by my memories are hazy as they are many years back....the sculptures are really wonderful....
    your photos made me want to go there again... :)
    thanks for sharing...

10. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkanjiii

Very nicely written I enjoyed a lot..you brought back the memories of mine..when i went to those palces few years back.... thankyou for the pics...

Love
    Brindha...