My trip to Coorg and Mysore

Discussion in 'Travel' started by radhikrish, Jun 3, 2010.

1. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

I recently went to coorg and mysore with family on a short vacation. I had been to madikeri before (6 years back) , but this time , planned to explore southern coorg also. Madikeri is on the northern side of coorg and is always crowded with tourisits , where as south coorg is more beautiful and virgin with lot of coffee plantation and beautiful landscapes.

Started from chennai by cauvery express at 9.30 pm and reached mysore next day morning 7 am. I am giving below the day wise itinerary

Day 1 Reached mysore morning 7 am , hired a cab and went straight to kutta, south coorg , where we had booked our homestay. Had breakfast enroute a restaurant suggested by driver (just 5-10 mt from railway station) . Reached the homestay around 12 noon. Distance from mysore to kutta, gonikoppal (south coorg ) is around 100-110 km. Had lunch at the home stay and proceeded to nagarhole NP for safari. Safari was in a mini bus and started at 4 pm and lasted for about an hour and quarter . We could sight many animals . Enjoyed the safari.

Day 2 Early morning (6 am) went to tholpetty wild life sanctuary( in Wayanad - Kerala border) and had a jeep safari, which was even more exhilarating. We could see more wild animals and birds and also the foot prints of tiger (as it had rained the previous night), and the driver guessed that the tiger would have passed through the pathway around 4 am in the morning , but we missed seeing one, just clicked the photos of tiger paws :rant. Came back , had bath, break fast and went to Irpu falls. Nice waterfalls, some people were bathing there, we didnt want to bath there, hence didnt come with change clothes etc. Spent time till noon, came back and realxed at the home stay till evening and went to see the coffee estate and plantation surrounding the home stay in the evening (owned by our host) . This was the most enjoyable part, as the estate had lot of trees apart from coffee plantations, like orange (yes, saw oranges in tree fully ripe and ate one plucked from tree :)) , chillies, brinjal, sapota, vanila, cardamom, pepper, jack fruit, inaddition to paddy. They had a private stream also flowing amidst their property.

We couldnt go trekking in brahmagiri ranges as trekking was not allowed now due to elephant census being taken at this time .

Day 3 started to madikeri after break fast, and proceeded straight to baghmandala, had a dip at sangam ( of three rivers - Cauvery, sujyothi, and kannika ) with dh. Water was good and though only at knee deep, it was crystal clear and there was not much of crowd too. There were good facilities for changing clothes and even toilets (paid ones) were really clean. Had darshan at temple (beautiful temple with kerala style architecture ) and went to talacauvary after lunch at bhagmandala. Weather at talacauvery was even better with slight drizzles. Climbed the hill top (about 300 steps) to get the view of bhramagiri mountain ranges (spectalur view) and reached madikeri by 4 pm. Checked in at the hotel and went straight to raja seat(it is a park with a view point) and then to omkareshwara temple (another beautiful temple, which we some how missed during our earlier madikeri trip) and retired for the day. Skipped abbey falls as no one was interested (already seen during our earlier trip) , and also since already we had covered irpu falls in this trip.

Day 4 started from madikeri after break fast , went to dubbare elephant camp, (where my dd had an elephant ride :) ) cauvery nisarga dhama, and reached kushal nagar by noon. After lunch went to see the budhist monastry (golden temple , which we had already seen during our earlier trip ) . This time all the three halls, were having some sessions(like class) with budhist monks sitting and chanting rhythmically, so no one was allowed to come near the budha and padmasambhava statues. Did some shopping at the tibetan shopping place nearby and proceeded for mysore. Reached by 5 pm , checked in a hotel and started by 7 pm for palace illumination, as that was sunday.Palace is illuminated only on sundays and public holidays. Spectalur sight and it was just spell bounding.:wow After seeing palace, went to chamundeswari temple (for 7.30 -9 pm darshan) , had good darshan and had a night good view of the city atop the chamundi hills and returned by 9.30 pm.

Day 5 - saw inside of palace and jaganmohan palace(art gallery ) before noon . Palace was fantastic, what with the work done at the interiors (I thought this was better than what I saw a couple of years back at capital hill, washington, where people were raving about the work done at the ceiling and walls. Only thing we dont know how to market things which are there in our own country) Art gallery had fantastic collections of Ravi varma's painting apart from the famous Glow of Hope painting. Took rest till 4 pm and then went to see Brindavan gardens (was disappointed seeing the condition of the garden ). Stayed to see the musical fountain and returned .

Day 6 - went to melkotte (about 50 km north of mysore ) and srirangapatna (about 15 km north of mysore) - saw both temples of melkotte - yoga narasimhaswamy(atop the hill) and cheluva narayana swamy temples - Fantastic darshan and incidentally that was narasimha jayanthi and felt really blessed to have had the darshan on that day. Dont miss to taste some iyengar puliyodharai from the nearby hotels in the temple street . Lot of sugarcane cultivation was there in the entire stretch from melkotte to srirangapatna and we halted at a place to see the jaggery making process from sugarcane. Tasted some fresh jaggery too :tongue .
    Reached Srirangapatna by noon. After lunch (only place where we couldnt get good food in the entire trip ) at srirangapatnam, visited the ranganatha swamy temple and nimishamba temple . Saw places like dariya daulath (tipu's summer palace) , gumbaz (tipu's tomb) , bailey's dungeons (where a britisher by name bailey was tortured by Tipu as prisoner of war etc and lastly saw sangam (where two tributeries of cauvery from north and south merge- considered to be holy - but maintained badly- Saw some people of different religion , who had come as a big group and were eating biryani at the banks of the river , washed their used plates in the same water, where a few steps away some people were doing puja with the help of priest - sort of pitru sradham, I think) . We skipped ranganathittu bird sanctuary as recently only we saw a bird sanctuary at kumarakom when we visited in Jan. Did some shopping at cauvery emporium in the evening while returning .(bought couple of mysore silk sarees :2thumbsup: and agarbathis, perfume for dd etc)

Day7 - went to nanjangud shiva temple (nanjundeshwara temple ) which is about 25 km east of mysore and returned by noon . Again fantastic temple with a really great gopuram and we had the darshan of lord when abishekam was being done. Took rest in the room till evening and boarded train to chennai in the evening. Wanted to go to datta peetam however since dh suffered from vomiting while returning from temple(due to some fruit juice which he had along with breakfast) , we proceeded straight to hotel and took rest.

Wanted to cover Somanathpur (to see the hoysala architecture) and shivanasamudra falls (skipped as it is ideal to visit there after monsoon) and doddamallur temple (which was quite far away from myore - 80 km )
    I would like to thank some of Ilites (Cindhuja, padmaiyangar, sarojaramanujam) whose thread on mysore helped a lot in my planning my itinerary.:thankyou2:

Radhi

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010

2. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear SKchivukula,

Thanks for your response. just now I read your thread and posted my comments there. I too would post some photos which I had taken during the trip. It was indeed a wonderful trip .

Thanks for coming in

Radhi

4. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Lovely detailed description of the trip. The post reveals that you enjoyed and relaxed as well.

Thanks for the inputs as it will serve others who will want to visit the place.

Love,
    Parvathi.

5. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

hi dear lovely write up. hope you enjoyed alot exploring the places

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  6. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

hi Parvathi,

thanks for coming in . Yes, I enjoyed the trip very well, and wanted to make a detailed itinerary about the trip, so that I thought others could find it useful. In fact when I planned the trip, I had to do a lot of home work on the coorg trip especially, regarding stay, travel , places to see etc.as the aim was to relax and not miss the places to see also.

regards
    Radhi

7. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,

Thanks for your comments. Since you are from Bangalore, I am sure you would have visited most of the above places. Do share your experiece also, which place you liked the most? or anything I missed out seeing.?

Regards

Radhi