1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Translation of Osho's Book Released - I Seek Your Blessings!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 7, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

About a month back you would have noticed my peeping into the prayer thread. I was nearing the completion of my translation work. I was assigned to translate The Book of Man written by Osho. As the work neared completion I got jittery. The publisher was after me as I had taken a lot of time. And there was a multi-layer approval process. And mamooth editing work was there.

There were a lot of affectionate responses to my request for prayer. And today, my dear friends, I am happy to tell you that your prayers have borne fruit.

The translated version has been released. It was released two days back. But I got my 'advance' copies only today. The book runs into 480 pages.

The publisher has done a tremendous job in designing the book, especially the cover.

Now it is time to talk about the contents of the book. The one word that keeps coming to my mind when I think of the book is "explosive". I am not that big enough to say who should read this book. I am prudent enough to warn who should not read the book.

Those who think that their way of life is the best, those who think that theirs is the best religion in the world, those who will lose their mental balance if their existing beliefs are threatened, those who want to protect their prejudice in the matters of God and Religion and even sex, those who will find explicit jokes and profanity hurting to their sensibilities - if you think that you will figure in any of these "those" listed above, keep a mile away from the book. For the rest, it is going to be a treat.

Throughout the translation work I stayed faithful to the original but had the "translator's licence" (much narrower than the poetical licence) to make it readable to the Tamil readers.

I was given the added privilege of designing the matter that should appear in the backcover of the book. I wanted the backcover to serve as a representative sample of the whole book. It had a two-fold mission - to drive away those who are not meant for this book and to attract those to whom the book is intended.

I am enclosing the pdf version of the back cover for your ready reference.

The book is priced Rs.200. Normally a book that runs into 500 pages will be priced around Rs. 300 to Rs. 325. But the publisher wants the message to reach the maximum number of people. He sort of provided some kind of a cross subsidy thanks to which the book's list price is Rs.200.

The book is available at Kavitha Publications #8, Masilamani Street, T.Nagar, CHENNAI 600 017. Phone number 044-24364243

You can get the book from the publisher or any well-known bookshop. You can also get the book from the book fair in Chennai at Kavita Publications Stall. (Varloo has published photographs of the stall in the Chennai Bookfair in the thread:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...alotti-s-books-chennai-book-2.html#post206036)

I lived with the book for more than three months. In fact I have requested my publisher to return to me the same copy of the original book which I used for translation. That copy aged 50 years in just 3 months.

Writing the book has been a transformational experience for me. I am sure reading the book will be even more so for you.

On this occasion I seek your kind wishes and blessings.

With Love,

Attached Files:

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sridhar

Congragulations on the book. Would love to read it though i don't have that great command over the language..since i have read the original..would love to read your translation...since it is a difficult book...

2008 has started with a bang for you....wishing you many more laurels........

lets us party....:party:party:party

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Congratulations !!!

Nice to know about this and Pray the Almighty to be with you. Wish I could read Tamil (though I am a tamilian but born and brought up in Blr) and I would have been the first person to read the same. Maybe someday another person will transalte your works and books for the sake of us.

Till then wishing you all the very best !!! :party:party

4. varalotti

Hi Shanthi,

thanks. I have translated the book in such a way that even those with a minimum knowledge of Tamil can understand. I have used day to day expressions and have deviated from the text, when I felt a literal translation might not be understood.

Yes, Shanthi, it was indeed a difficult book. But now I am doing another one, Tao The Golden Gate, which is even more difficult.

Thanks for your nice wishes and the party -simile. Let me know when your DH lands in Chennai. We can have a great party.
    regards,

5. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,

Thanks. It's okay. The book is already a translation from English. When you have time try to get that English book. It's a great book.

Thanks once again for your kind wishes,
    love,

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    You seek for blessings? Granted with a prayer to the Almighty!
    I just now phoned up Marimuthu of Kavitha. He said both books have arrived. I plan to collect them in a day or two.
    You know, what a voracious reader I turn into, once I lay my hands on your books.
    So, the next step is, you can expect my review of the book !
    I am very happy for you.
    The best is yet to be.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I am so happy to read this announcement from you.

God is kind and the New Year has really started off with a bang for you and it is my prayer and wish that this continues throughout the year and the success strain underlines every effort of yours.

This is worth celebrating and once again, Congratulations!:party

L, Kamla

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Varalotti
    The attachment was a beautiful design for me.......... sorry for this
    I am truely very happy for you, as your new year has started very successfully to you.

Congrats !!!!!!!!
    May God bless you with many more feathers on your hat:party

9. varalotti

Dear Chithra,

Thanks for the prayer (blessings!)

I am happy and proud that my books have turned you into a voracious reader.

I am eagerly waiting for your review.

Thanks once again,
    Love,

10. varalotti

Dear Kamla,

thanks a lot for your prayers and wishes.

By the way did you read the back-cover of the book I had placed as an attachment?

First the publishers thought it would be a little too provocative. Then I convinced them to carry it as it is. They agreed after taking out a few lines. I have dropped those lines from the attachment as well.

Thanks once again,
    Love,