My tips on meditation

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Tamildownunder, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Meditation for the modern lifestyle

Meditation is always done internally, even in the middle of a crowd.
    The simplest method has no religious connotations whatsoever. It lets one reach within and find one's own core.
    Initially it helps if one does it alone in any quiet place preferably at the same time of the day. While it can be done in any posture it helps if it is practiced sitting down in the early days.
    Sit comfortably, relax any tensed muscles, close your eyes without the least strain and become aware of your breath. Aware of its going in and coming out. Do not attempt to control it. Do not focus your thought on anything specific. If your thoughts wander gently get back to being aware of breathing.
    That is it. Five minutes twice a day.
    After a week you will notice that the breath is slowing down. Let it. While you can do this longer than five minutes there is really no need. After a month increase the period to 6 minutes. Imperceptibly increase to about 8 minutes.
    In the normal rush of modern living there is really no need to go beyond this.

After a few months you will find that you are breathing rate (during the practice) is half or even less compared to your normal rate.
    The effect spills over into your normal life too.

Sounds simple. Let me assure you that it is not. Turning inward is tough. Finding 8 minutes twice a day is not all that easy.
    This brings me to the other issue. Do not be stressed if you miss the practice. Never feel under a compulsion that this must be done. Do not be worried if thoughts keep interfering. You are trying to reach yourself, who is not going away anywhere.
    There is no mantra, no image, no focusing your eyes on the tip of the nose, no chakras, and nothing religious of any denomination.

The process works.

Later you will find that you can effortlessly slip into this even when you are in a crowd, commuting or walking.
    Caution: Better avoid this when driving.

Arunadhri

1 person likes this.
  2. ANONYMIKA

ANONYMIKA New IL'ite

Very beautifully described for beginners like me!
    Thanks a lot.

3. keerthivasan

keerthivasan Senior IL'ite

I was looking for simple meditation tips and when i read your post i was thoroughly impressed
    very practical and to the point
    though its 2yrs old i felt so nice reading your post
    you hit the nail right on the spot
    thank you very much
    regds
    Keerthi

4. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

#11 is a very practical tip to start meditation on a beginner`s level.Thank you.