1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My thought on those three days!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sumee, Mar 30, 2013.

1. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

“Those three days” . Which three days? I think my friend here will know what I am talking about, especially women from South India.:)
    Well I am talking about “those three days” in a month, the very thought even today brings a smile and a grimace on my face.:rotfl
    Coming from a fairly conservative South Indian family living in Calcutta, my mother otherwise a liberal minded lady was conservative about “those three days.” I still remember that poor sofa in our living room and the best part: it was occupied in turns by us 5 sisters . Poor sofa,it never got a break…I am sure it hates me even now..hahaha:rant Whenever we asked my mother why weren’t we allowed to mingle with everyone, why can’t we enter the puja room or take our clothes for the cupboard why were we treated like untouchables? My darling mother never gave us a straight answer.: In fact she became stubborn,a Hitler . I wondered why?.Maybe her mother too never gave her the answer..God knows!!!We never got a proper answer. Mom I am still waiting even though I know the answer now..:thumbsup
    And again it was a world of no computers. So no way could we get the right information. Also beyond a point we were too lazy to question. But then like two side of a coin there was advantage and disadvantage too . Advantage was Well “those three days” we did not have to help mom, could order my sisters in the house to do my work which otherwise they never did. Just relax,eat and laze. Of course we had to go to school and collegel!!!!.:rant But then, Revenge was taken on me by my sisters too. How ?that’s another story.
    On the flip side since it was that time where sanitary napkins had not entered the market and it was not something discussed openly like today,it was very difficult to manage those three days. :bowdown
    When my daughter entered her teens, by then I grew wise so decided I will not impose too much restrictions on her. Even that she used to get angry for not getting full freedom, She never understood the rules applied to me by my Mom was too deep in me to change fully.. But then one thing I understood :that the very custom of “those three days “ will not work in the long runand will eventually fade away as times changed
    Today whenever I see so many sanitary napkin advertisement on TV, I smile and go back to my teens..You know thoughts of “those three days”and think how everything in the world today has changed.:)

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

A nice writeup by a topic that is not touched commonly..Earlier,i used to wonder why school/colleges will not grant 3 days leave for us:rotfl(especially during exams)..Ofcourse knowing the practical difficulties by imposing this rule i used to be like 'oK whatever:coffee'....

But thinking on a serious note,those days women werent allowed to do anything,but today working women do everything on those days with the added stress that it creates..It would have been meaningful to continue this tradition had there been any proper scientific backing for the elder's words..JMO...