1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Story In Womans Era - Let Him Learn The Hard Way!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Good Message...

Dear Varalotti,

That was a nice very story ! Rahul is made to realise the value of money, for all the effort and the learning he had in the process of money-saving, he truly deserves that trip more than anyone else !

I have seen many families buying expensive toys and playthings to their children, without them knowing the value of money ! I remember, one of my cousin, breaking a robot worth almost 3000Rs, within an hour of its purchase ! His Parents could do nothing but scold him..but that scolding had no use, the damage was already done...If that 3000Rs was put to use in a better way, lot of things could have be done with it like paying bills, buying provisions or even giving charity, What's the use in wasting such huge amount just like that, without having any use to anyone ?????? I am not against parents pampering their kids with what they want, afterall, if parents cannot fulfill the wishes of their children, who else can ? But before spending the child should know the money that goes into buying any gift for them and how much it takes for the parents to earn that money to get that gift, so that they will handle the items with more care..I recall my mother's saying often, whenever we take money matters lightly when it comes to buying any item which is not worth its costs, She says "Aathula potaalum Alanthu podhanum" nu ! Which is very true !

I liked the approach of the mother and father of Rahul, in making him understand what it is to earn that 2000 bucks..Rahul in the process of earning that 2000Rs, would have learnt how to be prudent with the money he is spending, he has in the process learnt that even curd rice is enough to fill his appetite, and he needn't have veg.rice everday to fill his stomach..It's not that rahul had failed to realise this fact earlier, it's just that since he had lots of money, he had been little extravagant, now when he is constrained to save more money, he started looking at what others bring or buy at canteen for lunch and decided to be prudent like others ! When one starts saving money for rainy days or for better purpose for the future, they awake to see the happenings around them and have better understanding of what to do and what not to, like in the case of Rahul in your story ! This quality comes only when you consicously become responsible for your own actions !

And also, as Rahul had realised the worth of Rs 2000 fully, he understood the need to give that money to his neighbour who was in distress, I think It was that "money-saving" excerise that brought in the maturity to Rahul to help others in need, through his hard-earned money !

Any parent who allow their children to grow as spend-thrifts and any children who don't realise the worth of parent's hard-earned money, should definitely go through your story ! It has a good social message !

When you respect the money that you earn, money respects you..else you land up being a looser for your lifetime !

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with us, Varalotti !

Love,
    Preethi

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Latha!

Dear Latha,
    Thanks for the post. The delay doesn't matter. What you say is true. Children always tend to treasure the things they have got the hard way. My Dad taught me that lesson. I was in the school final year (that was some 30 years ago) and I badly wanted to have a wrist watch. My Dad bought me a piggy bank instead. He made me save the money for my watch. It took some 4 months to save Rs.94 for my first Henry Sandoz and Fitz Watch. But I cherished it and even now I cherish the memory of having earned the money for the watch.
    In those days every thing was scarce. In our town only one in ten or fifteen persons would have a wrist watch. Not like these days where even a 10 year old walks around with an expensive cell phone.
    I am happy that you liked the story.
    Varalotti

3. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

On browsing, I happened to read this story today and am very impressed.

During the time when the aluminium 10 paise coin was introduced, my father used to give us one coin each (we are four siblings) everyday and we had individual "mann undials"(piggy banks in clay) to save it in. On the days, he was short of four coins, he would keep them aside and give us once he had the four coins. Also the money received from visiting relatives and elders went into the piggy. We were allowed to use the money only for buying gifts for each others birthdays and I still have sweet memories of calculating how much money we had in it and how much the gift was costing and the amount to be taken out. As we grew older, the amounts increased, the piggy bank got converted into a kids account with Canara Bank but the rules still applied.

Today to teach our kids the value of money, we pay our kids for keeping their room clean, doing some extra jobs (regular duties are charted out) and get cards and gifts for our birthdays and anniversaries. Any job half done or messed up gets a fine. And very well done jobs get a praise, hug and sometimes an extra buck.

Though excited at first, now they realise how difficult it is to keep up the routine of a job and also how important it is to do so. Having realised the value of money, they have learnt to think twice before asking for things.

I enjoyed the story and also thank you for reviving sweet memories too.

4. varalotti

Dear Chitra,
    I should say that I and my story are lucky enough, to catch your attention after a long time.
    It is quite interesting to read your childhood memories. I also had a similar piggy bank experience. I had a rhino shapped plastic piggy bank in which I used to put in all small coins.
    When I was in my 11th standard I stood proudly before my father and demanded a wrist watch. (In those days that was a sign of luxury; and for us boys, the first sign of manhood)
    He told me that I should save enough money myself for that. I saved Rs. 102/- and a group of three adults in the family went to buy the watch. They bought me a watch for Rs.94 (I was allowed to spend the Rs.8 for myself). I wanted a watch which cost Rs.120/-. My father put his foot down and said a loud no. How can you buy for more than what you have?
    That kind of discipline made me think twice before I decide on loans. Only when I changed my car in 2005 I went for a bank loan, and that too when the interest charged was less than the Post Office MIS interest. Otherwise my policy has always been save, accumulate and then buy. Not borrow and buy.

Thanks, Chitra. And you also made me relive my childhood memories.
    regards,

5. rzgarlapati

rzgarlapati New IL'ite

The Story is really nice, really heart touching:2thumbsup:

6. varalotti

Thanks a ton, rzgarlapati. I am happy to see that this is your very first post in IL. I deem it an honour that my story got it. Welcome to IL and have a great time, here.
    regards,

7. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir, I am searching for all your stories and reading them one by one that is a very good story. This is one of the values that is to be taught to the child apart from other human values. Thanks for the story. Normally when my daughter asks something my husband would say we will buy it. I put a halt for that and ensure that she is made to think whether that is absolutely required or not and then buy it later. The method adopted in the story is very good and we too can adopt that in future.

Thanks and regards, sujatha

8. varalotti

Dear Sujatha,

That was something my father taught me. Though I have to admit I cannot hold on to anything if my daughter asks me something. I do make her justify the new item and at times I play the role of a devils advocate as well. But once she convinces me I get her what she wants.

I also wrote an award-winning entry of what my father taught me and gave me. Please follow this link, Sujatha.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...tine-month-contest-bonanza-indusladies-3.html

regards,

9. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Wow! Very nice story. I loved it.. And I have kept the idea to implement when my kids comes :)
    Though my father applied similar thing to us.. From class 1 to 5 we used to get ten paise every day to buys any candy or anything in lunch time.. Then we used to calculate who got most by month end.. We used to emotionally blackmail my elder sis to give up her money to her young siblings. That was my bro and me. :mrgreen: greedy of us..
    when we came in class 6th it rose 50 pasie per day.. Then in 9th std it became 25 rs per month. Since we used to bike our way to school.. What i liked about this way was.. My father cud teach us.. the important things like inflation.. He would teach us.. How now we cannt buy a pen or copy for 2-3 rs.. so he used raise our pocket money.. I remember once telling my father.. Its our birth right to get our pocket money.. He laughed his stomach out..
    Now with Husband 's family they never gave any pocket money to their kid.. So he doesn't like this practice. I wish when our kid comes.. I can change that belief..
    I remember during engg times.. My dad would ask us to tell him the amount we want for each semster. He used to let us do maths and later prove that we did right maths.
    I remember me spending rs 5000 from my pocket money savings on my job celebration party.. Which i told him. and he never disagreed on that.. HE said U r the youngest and still the first kid to get the job.. GO ahead.. There s no better time to celebrate it.. I loved him for it.. And still wonder... only father can do that..
    But when bro came back after engg .. he gave 10k saving to my dad.. I was :oops:
    I had spent all the money i got.. And he didnt spend it.. I asked why didnt u spend.. He said.. U r the youngest kid.. so u dont understand.. But a father with govt job, raising 3 kids in engg college and marrying a young daughter.. He s stretching his finances like anything for us.. So i didnt hv heart to spend this money.. So adorable bro :mrgreen:

Regards,
    Ria

5 people like this.
  10. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear mr varalotti,
    its an extraordinary story....perfect characterization of mother, father and the child. totally liked it...keep them comin
    regards
    pavithra