1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

My Story in US,Passed CPA and looking for Job Opportunities

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Scorpion, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion New IL'ite

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hello Ladies:),[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I came across this forum and spent past few days reading all the stories posted on this forum. I can empathize with most of them as staying in US on H4 visa takes a lot on you,especially if you are a job aspirant,independent and dream to earn for your family.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I came to states almost 4.5 years ago, I don't believe so many years passed by. Initially u don't feel the pinch of staying home and watching movies all day an binging on whatever comes in your hand. As time passes by you feel the urge to do something and work in the country where you can make dreams come to reality. So many of us with immense talent and great communication skills.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]So I looked into option of studying in US ,but since I completed my masters in Finance(MBA) from Mumbai,India the thought of doing masters here again dint sound appealing to me. My Uncle told me to look into CPA and said it has very good job opportunities in US. I did all the research on applying for CPA and took me almost 4-5 months as there are lots of rules and regulations for each state.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]It took me 18 months to crack CPA, I almost went to library each day for studying as it was so difficult to study at home as there were so many distractions for me sleep,tv,talking to family in India. It was a tough journey (I mean it).[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Finally I passed CPA,but the battle was half won as ahead of me was the main hurdle of getting a job and finding H1B sponsoring company. I applied in lots of companies and couple of them tried to contact me,but as they knew my visa status they were hesitant to employ me.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]For the past 6 months I have not been applying for jobs as I was disappointed. I know that is not right.I have again decided to try my best and not lose hopes.Ladies if any one of you can help me with any inputs it will be greatly appreciated. [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]SORRY FOR SUCH LONG POST---I HAVE PUT MY HEART OUT[/COLOR]

2. Scorpion

Scorpion New IL'ite

Sorry for the above post don't know why the post looks like a big code :(

pasting my my post again

II came across this forum and spent past few days reading all the stories posted on this forum. I can empathize with most of them as staying in US on H4 visa takes a lot on you,especially if you are a job aspirant,independent and dream to earn for your family.

II came to states almost 4.5 years ago, I don't believe so many years passed by. Initially u don't feel the pinch of staying home and watching movies all day an binging on whatever comes in your hand. As time passes by you feel the urge to do something and work in the country where you can make dreams come to reality. So many of us with immense talent and great communication skills.

So I looked into option of studying in US ,but since I completed my masters in Finance) from Mumbai,India the thought of doing masters here again dint sound appealing to me. My Uncle told me to look into CPA and said it has very good job opportunities in US. I did all the research on applying for CPA and took me almost 4-5 months as there are lots of rules and regulations for each state.

It took me 18 months to crack CPA, I almost went to library each day for studying as it was so difficult to study at home as there were so many distractions for me sleep,tv,talking to family in India. It was a tough journey (I mean it).

Finally I passed CPA,but the battle was half won as ahead of me was the main hurdle of getting a job and finding H1B sponsoring company. I applied in lots of companies and couple of them tried to contact me,but as they knew my visa status they were hesitant to employ me.

For the past 6 months I have not been applying for jobs as I was disappointed. I know that is not right.I have again decided to try my best and not lose hopes.Ladies if any one of you can help me with any inputs it will be greatly appreciated.

sorry for such long post --- jus wanted to share it

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. Desigal10

Desigal10 New IL'ite

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for finishing CPA. Any luck in getting a job?
    I am in the same boat as you. I can understand its very frustrating. I completed my masters in accounting 6 months back here in US and I have been looking for job since then. Its harder to find a job even on OPT. Now I have decided to take CPA and then start looking again. I came across this post when I was looking for CPA study groups. I had few questions for you. I wanted to know the CPA application process right from the beginning and do we have to evaluate our transcripts from India while applying. Also, did you take any CPA review courses? and what other study material/books did you use? I know requirements for CPA in my state and I also have some of the books/material from my masters, but I am so confused about how and where I should start with. I know I am asking lot of questions. I would really appreciate your guidance in this regard.

4. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Even i am in same boat. Even i am decided to study CPA. The information i got is we need to evaluate our certificate and have 150 credits(check your state)before writing your exam. Then register and you can write your exam. Regarding study material i found roger/yaeger is good. Do check whichever you are able to understand.

5. krisa

krisa New IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

Did you think about MS course with few credits (20 or so)? If you are in US for more than a year, you are eligible for state fees. So it may not cost much and you can change it to F1 visa after you start. So you get EAD to work for a minimum cost.

6. Desigal10

Desigal10 New IL'ite

Hi Geetha,
    Thanks for the information. Do you know anything about Becker review? I have heard about it a lot in my area. Which jurisdiction are you applying for?

7. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Even becker is also good. I am doing in california.

8. PoornimaS

PoornimaS New IL'ite

Hi
    I am in H4 for the past 3 years. i am planning to do the CPA course. I live in Sacramento, CA.
    Can you reply to me about the initial steps which is required to do the course.
    Thanks