My Story As An Egg Donor

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by AngelsGift, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

All those kids born out of your donated eggs are half siblings. Many times after growing up they try to find their siblings. Perhaps, you have a chance to offer these kids (with their parents permission) give an opportunity to know their half siblings or at least you keep that info. There were cases where a couple while dating found out that they were half siblings. Something to think about ...

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Angel, thank you for the reply. I am well past the age and even if I were young enough, I could not imagine putting my DNA in a child who will be in a family I don't get to choose or know personally.

BTW, your posts seem to be a believable "personal story" barely disguised for marketing. Raising awareness of the concept does not need repeated mention of the agency or having the agency's name as your member id.

satchitananda, Amica, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Agree with this.

Personally....well past the age ,but would never be able to do it.
    My eggs would form my babies. I could never give away my babies to strangers.I could never sleep peacefully not knowing how they were being taken care of or treated.

Rihana, Gauri03 and Mistt like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Being an egg donor is certainly not an easy decision by any stretch of imagination. The decision of taking all those hormonal shots which could potentially play havoc with one's body is a very big point which could put the idea firmly out of one's head. The thought that 'my' child is somewhere in this world and knows nothing about me and I know nothing about him/her would be very difficult to live with, at least as far as I am concerned. I would love to hold every kid of mine and have it grow up in front of my own eyes. I would definitely want to have a say in the matter. Then as one of the posts mentioned, there is a risk of half siblings meeting without knowing the facts, falling in love and the relationship developing in an inappropriate manner (given the genetic relationship).

The concept of egg donation is indeed very noble, since it gives a couple a chance at having a family when they can't have kids of their own. There are two points I would like to mull over here in this context.

1. You might have done this out of your own compulsions as well as felt rewarded when it worked out for so many families. I certainly do not mean to trivialize what you have done. Like I said earlier, it is no easy decision. Besides, talking of it - as a donor or a recipient - is not easy at all. Also one can earn money in many other ways, but to choose this option where it benefits someobody else in such a big way is noble indeed. However, my personal take is that there should be some kind of control where egg donation like blood or organ donation should be strictly non-transactional (financially speaking). This would ensure that a lot of poor women in our country would not be exploited at the cost of their personal health. Maybe the criteria in the US are very strict but I am not so sure whether the same could be guaranteed in India (though there are laws in place already to ensure it does not happen).

2. This is a purely personal opinion. The world is already over-populated. There are also millions of kids the world over who have no parents, family or home. I would rather adopt one of them and give them a home while giving myself the opportunity of having a proper family with a kid I could call my own. After all I am not going to open up its blood vessels everyday to check out whether my DNA flows in the childs veins.

I also agree with the point made above, about the organization's name being used as ID and being mentioned in the write up.

Thyagarajan, yellowmango and Rihana like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This reminds me the thriller I read some twenty years ago. Yes it is KEN Follett
    - The Third Twin is a techno-thriller by the British writer Ken Follett and in 1996.

A New York Times bestseller, the book deals with genetic engineering and the nature and nurture debate through the subject of identical twins raised apart