1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son's birthday

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sudhara, Mar 2, 2010.

1. laamadhura

laamadhura New IL'ite

Hai friends,:hiya

I agree with what laxmi says...there is a great pleasure in watching your kids celebrating their day.I am the mom of a four year old.i celebrated all three birthdays of my kid in 3 different ways..for the first birthday i created the background screen myself...for the second i was engaged in some other work and i just ordered a designer mickey mouse cake and a huge number of toys as return gifts....The third one was the way which my son requested..
    i tied a huge pinata in the midst of the party hall and filled it with choclates and the return gifts......i think all of you could guess how overwhelming those events were.even now i could feel those ecstatic moments in a single thought...and now i am planning something new for his fourth b'day.Unfortunately i could not upload those photos now... anyways i have attached a photo in which part of the screen is seen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

I know a few parents who strongly feel that throwing a party is a waste of money and that they would rather buy their child an expensive gift. I also know a few friends who go overboard celebrating their kid's birthday by booking a banquet hall, caterers, inviting some 100 families, having entertainers like face painters, clowns and magicians and to top it really expensive personalized return gifts.

Every year I have 3 birthday celebrations for my children. One is the star birthday- a day where we celebrate the birthday with a paysam, temple visit and a traditional feast. The second one is the DOB- where we have an intimate celebration with just the four of us. It includes a home made cake, gifts, dinner at my child's favorite restaurant and temple visit.
    The third one is a celebration with friends during the weekend after the DOB.

I think birthday celebration should be age appropriate. I celebrated my kids 1st Birthday in a grand manner - book a party hall, caterers and the whole nine yards. To me, it was a big thing-a milestone. First year of life is very important to a child and parents- the year they grow from a tiny little bundle to rolling over, crawling, standing, walking, talking bundle of energy. So, yes it is time to celebrate and let the world know about their achievements<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 18.75pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>.
    For the next couple of years (2- 5) I had invited some family and a small group of friends for a party at our house. The main idea was to get my children to become more social, comfortable around friends, kids of his age plus kids who are elder and younger to them. Also I used to have a theme for the party- just to make my life easier. So all I have to do is shop around that theme; Simple one like jungle theme, princess theme etc. So choosing return gifts, decor, cake, party games was all easier.
    When they were (5-10) they already had their own set of friends and they clearly knew what they want to do for their birthday, whom to call etc. So, parties happened mostly outside- day at the zoo or at an amusement park with my children and their friends with a few parents (including us) volunteer to watch over them.

Having said all the above, I have to mention that my PIL are very conservative and never liked the idea of wasting money for parties. What they do not understand is that these parties make birthdays special - a day different from our everyday routine, a day where the main focus is on my child, a day that I am adding to my child's memories.

Cheers!
    Radheshyam.

3. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

sudhara you did the right thing by celebrating... i always wanted to celebrate my kids birthday party, but my MIL doesnot like it so we dont celebrate.... but kids always ask for a birthday celebration whenever they see a cake....