1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son VERY fussy to brush his teeth

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by pritulax, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Same problem with my daughter......She's fond of rhymes,music...so I sing this song,brushing myself...This also has helped...

Brush, brush, brush your teeth..
    I brush my teeth right to left
    I brush my teeth left to right
    I brush my teeth up and down
    I brush my teeth down and up...

First I evoke interest in the toothbrush and paste, so that she is'nt scared...I ask her what colour is this brush (it is in her favourite color-red), then I show who are all there in the red couloured brush, she says duck, karadi ma (bear), dog....

Of course all this took 2-3 months time...but even now, she revolts sometimes...i take my DH's help....

1 person likes this.
  2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi.... I posted a similar question a while back and I am still looking for a solution. I go through the same ordeal you go through, especially in the morning, when my husband and I are not in our best moods, trying to leave for work. My daughter sometimes just tightly shuts her mouth, refusing to let me take the brush anywhere even near her face. I almost have to literally pry open her mouth to get her to brush for 10 seconds :-(

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Pear Tree
    Try the suggestions in this thread... May be one of it may work for you.. and get back to us...

4. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    Am sailing in the same boat. My son is now 2 yrs old. When I transferred him from finger brush to kids brush few days he was excited. We use to sing brush, brush, brush your teeth. But now daily 2 times I just hold him tightly and when he screams I quickly clean all his teeths. Yes we have to do that. No hubby's help nothing. It takes 2 mins. And kids understands everything. The moment I stop he smiles and acts as if nothing happend. I would say try to explain if kids are older enough to listen. If not do it by force. They will get when they grow older.
    Good luck everyone:) with kids seriously, everyday is a challenge.

1 person likes this.
  5. pritulax

pritulax Bronze IL'ite

hahhaa kids now days are so clever and advanced in thinking than us. My son doesnt do it just because i want him to.Sometimes (very rarely though) he comes by himself and says 'pal thecha' meaning 'lets brush' and takes the brush and says eeee...aaaaa...eeeee. spits, gargles with water, pats dry his cheeks with towel and goes off.
    hmm as you say as they grow up it will become fine. I also had issue with potty training him, but now he is fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  6. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

My advice to all mothers who are struggling ( along with me) to establish a daily brush routine. My co sister son also refuses to brush..eveuntually his teeth became black..and at the age of 3 he had so many cavities that a bridge had to be placed. Now his mouth smells of the metal teeth. This is all because of no brushing routine..and eating lot of candies..sodas and chocolate.

7. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Brushing is a hell of a task in the morning... he wants to eat dosa (his favorite food item) even before brushing and he will rush to his dad for a sip of tea also sometimes!! (dirty habit inherited from his dad only!)... i hate even to speak or drink water before brushing... i dono how those people have tea without brushing!

we go to the basin... i give him the brush... he will put in his mouth and move it (not brushing though just in the mouth) i give him a minute or two... then i take the brush put little paste and brush his teeth (he will scream and bite the bristles) i just do it fast and then stop...

any tips to make him gargle and spit... i had to start paste because he already has 16 teeth (4 molars - 2 upper and 2 lower) and he likes jelly chocolates (though i give it to him rare)....

brush to mouth started after few days of standing next to me when i brush... but spitting he doesnt get not even gargling... i have no idea how to teach... other than try and try and try!!!! :(

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ammani how old is your son?as soon as he wakes up take him to the bathroom. Do not allow him to go anywhere else. If he asks for food tell him he will get it only after brushing. If he cries let him. Do not give up. Eventually he will get it that you are serious about it.

Can your son spit the toothpaste? If not try using fluoride free toothpaste. They come in different flavors which might attract him to brushing. Everytime you put water in his mouth tell him he has to spit it. Demo it. It takes few days but these kids learn it in few days. First let him spit then start teaching gargling.

9. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Hello Ramya,

he is 16 months old..

he follows me to the bathroom to brush... that part is easy... i brush and then i brush him.. he watches with full concentration... i have to give his brush to him before i start brushing my teeth otherwise he pulls my brush from my mouth... so i give him his brush... he puts in his mouth (no toothpaste on it) and brush his teeth... not properly though... i gargle and spit in front of him but he doesnt follow... i have been doing this from more than a month now... no improvement till date... i use the fluoride free toothpaste itself... i got scared that he will swallow when i brush and used that at the beginning itself...

still no idea on how to start him to spit... when spitting food he will just open his mouth and bend... food falls down... but this he will swallow... i use my fingers for now... i cant stop brushing because he has 16 teeth already and he eats everything... sweets especially are his favorite!

10. Sashank

Sashank New IL'ite

Hi .. Gals ..
    Found this forum recently ( 1 day ) ..
    And you wouldn't believe .. reading this thread especially have made my day bright !!!!
    I have 2 year old and I go through this struggle with brushing every day !!!!
    So the morning starts with screams and temper tantrums .. that spoils the whole day some how !!!!

This has been the case for the past 4 months .. from the moment I stopped hand finger !!!!
    Every one says it will be better as the days go ..
    But in vain ..
    Dont want to brush .
    Dont want to spit .
    Dont want to wash .

Goddddd !!!! Save me !!!! How did ppl had 10 - 12 kids in olden days .. !!!!!???????