1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son VERY fussy to brush his teeth

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by pritulax, Jul 15, 2012.

1. pritulax

pritulax Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I am having hell of a time making my LO brush his teeth. He is very fussy about it. He doesnt like it. I hav tried all sorts of methods, toothbrushes, paste...but in vain. Because of this, his upper 4 teeth are blackish in color with decay. Also he has bit hard and broken 1 of his upper teeth which has now stated to decay. I have shown to dentist who said that these will fall off so dont worry...but things are getting uglier day by day.

pls advise

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can introduce a chart- with columns for stickers.....each time he brushes his teeth, he would earn a sticker and he can stick it on the chart....once he earns sufficient stickers , he can get his favorite chocolate/toy as prize......( But, this would not work for long time, only till he has the interest in stickers...:bonk.should think of something else then......)
    Good Luck......:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. pritulax

pritulax Bronze IL'ite

I have tried to lure him into brushing using GEMS chocolate.....but he simply would eat them and not brush or would just run away not bothered at all

1 person likes this.
  4. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Show some videos in youtube where kids are brushing their teeth and how their teeth look after brushing

5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Do you get toothbrushes specially designed for children?The ones where the handle has some toy? Dont give them gems or chocolates in favor of doing this. How old is your son? Maybe you could brush your teeth and ask him to follow you and see who will do better?? Try explaining to him that his teeth are black and it will be like this forever if he doesnt brush them. Show them videos or some other child brushing. Often children see others and emulate them. This is professional advice.
    Now personal advice (hehe...) - Catch his weak point and tell him that he will not be allowed that if he doesnt listen to you. For eg if he likes to watch tv or go out to play..stop him from doing that if he doesnt follow a routine. I dont know if this will work...but a reward system should be there for following your words.

1 person likes this.
  6. silentlotus

silentlotus Senior IL'ite

Dear Pritulax,
    When your dear one is in good mood in other part of the day explain him the need of brushing and the way it affects when not done in simple manner to their understanding. A story also can help. You can use scare tactics in a subtle manner since kids today are very clever and can understand very well. So again in the morning you can remind it in a pleasing manner. You can combine this with other motivating actions.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@pritulax How old is your son? Maybe he does not like the toothpaste/toothbrush. Show cartoons where they teach how to brush teeth.

Try stopping chocolate till he brushes his teeth. The more chocolates he is going to eat, without him brushing, the more cavities he is bound to get.

If nothing works, mouthwash maybe?

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vjbunny I think this thread needs to be moved to Toddlers section.

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya...
    Took care of it... Thanks

Hi Pritulax
    Now his teeth has become black and must be reducing in size so tell him that his teeths are becoming home for bad things(Bacterias) which will eat it full and he wont have teethes to east his favourite things unless he gets rid of bacteria by brushing so lets declare war on bacteria and brush daily... tell it in interesting story telling way and brush with him both day and night... You may show the ads that focus on this points to reinforce the reason for brushing and hygene you can also tell about washing hands and bathing etc too

PS: Please post your thread in toddler forum (it is for discussing 2 and 2+ year old kids) and his school issues in school goers and teens forums...

10. dharshiniusa

dharshiniusa Bronze IL'ite

Hi pritulax,
    i am having same problem with my 3 year old...his teeth is all ok..he would scream and yell if i put water in his mouth..so me and hubby would hold him tight..we asked his doc he said he would be fine in few months time as he grows up..lets see...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012