1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son don't want to chew his food

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ajuma, May 5, 2012.

1. honey4

honey4 New IL'ite

Okay ladies count me in too. My son who is 2.3 yrs old is the same. Doesn't want to chew (mind you...he eats some foods without issues like papaya, cheerios, puffed rice). So he eats what he likes without fuss. However he cannot chew hard foods. I still have to mash up or grate foods. I used to worry a lot which caused lot of frustration and anxiety for quite a while. Also he stopped breastfeeding when he was 4 months old and he went on and off for a while till he was 8 months old and i gave up breastfeeding at that point because he was teething and started biting. :bowdown So that way he had feeding issues from the start. He has a strong gag reflux too. So cannot force him to eat.:bonk But now i let it go and accepted it. I hope someday he will properly chew his food. People tell me he will change once he goes to school. I havent talked to his doc till now but want to do it at the next visit. Will update once i do.

2. Quest95119

Quest95119 New IL'ite

Such a difference!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. rajanishrestha3

rajanishrestha3 New IL'ite

i thought i was the only mom in entire world to face this problem ...... thank god there are many more mom facing the same problem..... pheww............ my son is turing 3 on november and does the same.. he is not chewing any thing not even banana... i blend veg for him and mix with dal and rice . he sallow them directly but is not chewing at any cost :(

4. Aniee

Aniee New IL'ite

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hey Ajuma,

I am in the same boat now.... my son is 4.5 yrs old....still not chewing his food and not showing any interest in eating. How old is your daughter now? is she ok now?

Is there any parents succeeded with this type of kids? Please reply it will really help for the parents with such pains. thanks Aniee

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. malarvizhim

malarvizhim Bronze IL'ite

Me too sailing in the same boat.My son is 2.5 yrs old.He chews apple,chappathi,snacks etc.But when it comes to rice he hates it and swallos with the help of water for every spoon..Please give some ideas to change this habit.

6. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

gals...count me in...ditto problem with my son who is 2.9 yrs..swallows everything..does not eat bread, rotis, no hard foods, finger foods are meant for nose buds for him...he smells it and then it goes haywire..not into the mouth though..rice is swallowed with curd n dal...

veggies + fruits mashed and to be given, eats idli soaked in milk and sugar..

quite tensed about it...it is required to visit a doctor..seek suggestions n advise mommies..

7. raghavsmom

raghavsmom New IL'ite

I am so happy to see you all. I am in the same boat. Very active kid.
    But refuses to c ew food. He is 2.5 months old.

I went to few doctors in Delhi, they send him to school and he will be fine.

Hoping something good will happen.

If anyone gets some new tricks, then please share.

Thanks
    Rekha

8. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

I was having that worry for a long time but not now.
    My son is 3yr old & now he eats solid items/fruit loops/biscuit/banana/ dates/ nuts

9. pinki123

pinki123 Bronze IL'ite

My son is 2.4 yrs old.He also have the same problem.He doesn't chew rice,chapati,idli,dosa,etc.But he is ok with biscuits,cake,chips,...I have showed him how to chew.But no change in him.When I scolds him to chew,then he refuses to eat.I hope that he will learn it soon.If anybody has any idea pls share.

10. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Pinki,
    Never force a kid.
    My son learnt after going to school by himself.