1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son don't want to chew his food

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ajuma, May 5, 2012.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anvika, Amulya
    Welcome to IL...

Amulya did you check with your ped what are his suggestion... I think she feels that once she eats on her own she will not be pampered...

2. poornimagaja

poornimagaja New IL'ite

Hi Amulya,

Same here, my son is 3.7 years old. Still he is not chewing the food, even though we have taken as the mantra with the sentence “chew the food” every time I make him to eat. :thumbsdown
    <!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /-->
    When I start reading your post I thought someone is going through my mind and putting across my words. :yes: seriously.
    It’s the same story hear and am actually losing my temper sometimes as I am working full time. i'll control myself. He tries to avoid even milk, and sometimes if we force him to take some fruits or any other solids, he will just swallow everything in a minute and after sometime he vomits everything and happily plays around. :bonk
    In this 3+ years I have never ever heard him saying “Amma I am hungry”, I am very eager to hear that word.:bang I have tried leaving him for some time more than his usual meal time, still no reaction from the other side. Boss will be very happy in other ways.

If I take him to function or any parties, that’s it, shakehead everyone in the hall will be disappearing only we 3 will be there. People may think how they are feeding their kid with more stuffs even the kids stomach is full. But I know the exact reason. It takes hours together to feed him one time.:crazy Sometimes I will get scared to see the time as it would be meal time for my little hero. :hide:

:help:help:help

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  3. ajuma

ajuma Senior IL'ite

Thank you for all your replies.

Amulya, I am facing same problems with my son as you have mentioned.
    I m just trying trying, every bite of food I need to tell him, chew your food, don't swallow. Nowadays most of the time I am loosing my temper.
    I just give up and mash with hand and feed him. He just swallows it. Very easy for him.
    I also feel that because he don't want to chew the food his menu items are very less. And you know mashed food does not taste much.
    Because of that also he don't show interest in eating. He don't want to try any finger food like chips, biscuit, grapes etc.
    Onlywhen I scold him, that time he tries to chew otherwise just keeps his bite inside his mouth and keeps on watching nursery rhymes.
    I am just waiting for a day when he himself starts enjoying food. I have seen smaller kids eating chips, some snack item on their own while playing.
    I hope that day come soon for my son.

Thank you all.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ajuma,
    Same here too. Leave your kid in his own way. I did the same too.
    My son is 2.5yrs old and still not chewing food properly. He bites & eats fruits/biscuits etc etc but not food.
    Planning to see his way once he starts school in September.

Good luck for you too.

5. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Seeing all your posts is scaring me..
    My son is 15month old. He wont eat solid food. I still mash up dhal+rice+vegs and feed him in spoon. Anything in pieces that I put on his table he just pushes them down. I try grilled cheese bread in small pieces, chapathi in pieces , spaghetti , he pushes it off his highchair table.
    Ultimately I have to feed him with mashed food as a backup .

This makes it so tough to send him to daycare. Since am a working mom , I dont have the time to sit with him patiently and try different foods every hour.

His Ped dr says he will slowly get better by 2ys, but seeing your post I dont get any hope.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ranchu...
    All kids are unique some kids learn fast some take their time to learn dont worry dear... Everyone will learn when the time to learn comes... Relax...

1 person likes this.
  7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Once they go to day care, they will see other kids and learn to eat well. But it also depends on the teachers. They have to make sure that the kid finishes the food you send.

My dd can eat perfectly well by herself in school. But at I home, I still have to mash and sometimes feed her.

1 person likes this.
  8. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies
    I too have this trouble my kids . They are 27 months old . My boy can't tolerate even a rai in his food whereas my girl eats everything fruits , veggy everything my boy doesn't eat any fruit except banana that too occasionally.
    But he eats biscuits, chips, choco etc.. I think it's more got to do with laziness to chew ... Swallowing gives ten more free time for mischief .
    Surprisingly one day we went to a sandwitch shop and there he coolly ate one piece of cheese sandwitch.

I just hope things get better over time especially when they start their play school.
    Any one with such experiences ... That over the time things will get better ....l

9. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

@ranchu
    Hugs to you... I know how you feel when our kids don't eat and do according their age.... But don't worry work hard and results will show up. Yes now my son doesn't like mashed food. He eats parathas and also pizza which he use to spit out coz he was lazy to chew. If your kid has many teeths only thing he needed is encouragement. How I started is by changing the method how he ate before. Like first he used to sit on high chair. I made small parathas and took him to balcony, gave water and few bottles. Like that distract him and he will learn. Once they get that taste of adults food they hate mushy one. To make him taste and get used to eat few times I took him to near by park where he plays and I used o feed him.....being a stay at home mom I utilized whole of my time and yes the results shown up.... My kid still eats less compare to other kids but I definitely see changes.... And don't make different varieties. They get used to eat. Even now almost he eats same kind of food daily..... Try to utilize your weekends on this... Change the place and routine. And your kid is 15 months so don't worry as your ped said after 2 yrs he might change... Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

This trick is what I followed:
    1. Made the switch from rice to roti/paratha/dosa that she cant simply swallow. 2. Gave her slightly bigger bites for a while, so she needed to chew, else it would make her vomit.
    2. Also, when she started knowing her numbers, I asked her to count to 10, with 1 chew for each number and then swallow. I used to count with her too in a melodious way. Or try ABCD, some other song with recurrent words, etc.

All the best!

1 person likes this.