1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My second anniversary and a disturbing issue

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cheenu123, Feb 10, 2015.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

I have my second wedding anniversary on 16th of February. Few days back, me and DH were discussing about organizing a family lunch on 15th Feb, which happens to be a Sunday. We usually plan such meals for Sundays since it is convenient for both sides [my in-laws and my parents].
    Now, a little background, my MIL & FIL (he is no more) got married on 15th Feb. Since last few days, when I am at work and DH works from home, I don't know what transpires between the two, I am told by my DH that we have to cancel the Lunch on 15th Feb since his mom has told him that she can't have celebration that particular day, since she misses her husband badly.
    I was totally shocked because no matter how hard I try, i just can't accept this logic. I tried to reason with my DH. He said we can plan it any other day but not on 15th. Now my point is that on 16th, me & DH would take a leave and only the 2 of us would spend time together and 14th would not suit my parents since my mom would have a working half day. Also, organizing a dinner would also not be possible since my brother has a new born baby and he can't leave his wife and child , and my dadi alone at home at night. They can spare some time out for lunch since the baby sitter would be there but since my mom would be at work, the lunch can't be organized.
    So we were left with 15th Feb only. My DH feels very very strongly for his mom because after my FIL died a couple of years back, these 2 have been together and have bonded really strong, making me feel like a third party, sometime.
    My point here is not that I am dying to organize a lunch, but I am just not able to comprehend my MIL's intentions here. I asked my DH that why 2 years back, on 15th of FEB only you guys arranged Mehndi & sangeet? How could mom be happy that day, 2 years back and the same date brings remorse to her after 2 years [last year my MIL was wil SIL, at the time of my anniversary].
    To be honest, in the last few months, the equation between me & DH, me & MIL has improved because all of us are putting our efforts towards accepting each other and ignoring what can't be changed. This has actually brought a lot of piece and harmony in our family life.
    This episode has however, again hit me strangely, if not badly. Had it been my FIL's death anniversary, I would have accepted my MIL's logic and DH's blindfold support to her logic, wholeheartedly, but this scenario upsets me. Why cant she understand that me and DH are working and we rarely get days where family get togethers can be organized. Why is she coming up with this issue now when on the same date 2 years back she was in full swing involved in the celebrations.

I know this might be a very trivial thing and I should let it go, not act so self-centered, etc. but still, is my MIL and my DH justified? I have more problem accepting the fact that DH agrees blindly to whatever whim my MIL has without thinking about the grave repurcussions that these whims are imposing on our matrimony?
    I look forward to your insights ladies.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Op, I hear you. This is not worth fighting about. You cannot work it out logically either. Don't argue. Whatever your MILs emotional state, you can't figure it out. I can only offer you a solution.

Smile. Be polite and understanding. Say you thought about it; if mum will be upset, let's postpone it to the weekend after, the 22nd. Look at it this way. You anyway aren't celebrating on your anniversary. How does it matter if it is this Sunday or the next?

Happy anniversary.

sindmani, SGBV, nb25 and 14 others like this.
  3. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Yes Guesshoo, I have accepted this thing partially, but not able to let go of it, completely.

1 person likes this.
  4. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

You need to let it go.Put yourself in her shoes and try thinking.Anyone who las lost his/her spouse is definitely gonna feel emotioned on their wedding anniversery.As it is you arent celebrating on the exact date ,so why bother.I have a single parent and trust me on this.Its not easy for them.

4 people like this.
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Send her a spa vacation for that day since she is feeling bad and then have the lunch without her.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Not worth fighting for.You won't be able to celebrate if two people don't ant it.Just go out on your planned couples thingyy on the 16th and if you still ant the lunch....have it next weekend.

7 people like this.
  7. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

@cheenu123 Sister,

HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY, May Baba bless you both in abundance as always.

Stepping into your shoes, I would make it as simple as that, would prefer to go out for Dinner on another week day or make it next Sunday for Lunch, Feb 15th is anyway not your D Day, why so much hue and cry, not always we get things as we plan, Be happy that you both are celebrating on Feb 16th, what we have positive should cheer us more, Enjoy dear from now on instead of nagging yourself which can be any other day too.

May Baba guide us always, SAIRAM

5 people like this.
  8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You are able to consider all your families logistical issues when organizing , so why it is so difficult that she does not want to celebrate on 15th without her husband . What happened two years back is part of marriage rituals .

iF you can't postpone it , then cancel the event . Your wedding anniversary is in 16thfeb , enjoy that day .

7 people like this.
  9. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

OP,
    just accept his pain. you should think yourselves on ur dh's shoes and then decide what to do.

10. AruljothiD

AruljothiD Silver IL'ite

Let it go . Instead of thinking about your ruined lunch plan , make a new one --A Two day plans for Your Anniversary..:2thumbsup:

2 people like this.