1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My quest with crosswords

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thoroughly inspired by Merv Griffin's crosswords on tv and playing scrabble with husband, I decided to try some myself.
    On an American magazine i picked a crossword puzzle to solve during my flight. Out of 10 words I find 2. Husband encourages saying " these are American crosswords, you may not be aware of slangs, stars or terms here, I ll get you Hndu crosswords". Hope still left :)

Two days later - 7:00 PM - Try solving hindu crosswords from internet, and come across this "14 down - Staggers, due to ill-fitting satin shoes (10)" Break my head for half n hour. Husband appears in the scene, and writes "ASTONISHES". That was an anagram....Grrrrrrrr....

7: 30 PM - I do not leave hope. Try the next one " 23 across - Dome shaped hut for storage (5)" . again sit and break my head, this time for 15 mins. See all synonyms for hut...come across three 5 letter words, nothing fits..Turn around and see the answer. That is "IGLOO".

7:45 Pm - Again " 26 down, Capital consists loose change (4)... Try to fit in words like " coin", "yens" etc etc....Answer is "OSLO"....Encouragement comes "do not worry, it takes time to get a hang of it"

8:00 PM- Throw the paper and go out shopping.

That was the Hindu crossword no. 9113. Google it if you want ...

Today - No luck with the number 9113, lemme try 9114 :)....

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

This is a really good one dear Meets.. I too tried all this.. you need a knack so to speak.. there are so many guide books out there.. once you get the hang of its not all that hard.. so I then moved on to sudoko..keep posting updates on how this is going..

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Guide books is my next hope. The KNACK is ezzactly what I want.
    Thanks dear :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vidya,

Happy new year. crosswords and puzzles, they can keep me buzzing...and thinking.... i like to solve the crosswords that come with a theme, so i know what i am already dealing with. you can start with using a crossward compiler, or softwares....

my kids are now playing the text twisters and simple thematic crosswords...

Once you get the hang of it...it will become a breeze solving them..but anagrams they really make me mad sometimes.bonkbonk..but still love the flow of adrenalin when i try racking:queen

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

I too m hooked to the crosswords and sudokus....

But the "The Hindu" crosswords need so much of racking ur brains bonk...Initially I used to be able to get just 2 or 3 right....then somewhat improved.

Of late I m addicted to sudoku.....in India I used to wait for the paper in the morning ...first solve it and then move to the news section....I think I m good at it now:queen..
    Last week , in the "gulf news" daily, I came across a new game "kakuro" ..it was mentioned that its a new addictive game for the japanese...I read the rules and format but :spin..understood nothing....will have to try again...does anyone know abt it....

6. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Good one. I have been attempting (!) hindu crosswords whenever I get a chance from my hostel days - highly inspired by some of my friends who used to solve them as a matter-of-factly. Here are my two cents if they help you motivated. cross-c's in each magazine are different from in terms of style. I am used to the "Hindu" way now, I cannot think in "Express" style. Though it helps, it is not all that necessary to know all the words in the dic. Infact most of the words in cross-c (atleast hindu's) are simple ones.. There are basically two type of clues - direct and cryptic. Direct ones are easier to solve if you know the meaning of the word and the Cryptic ones are more fun and assure you that the word you have cracked is right as soon as you get a hang of it. I like the cryptic ones - normally there is one part in the clue that says it means something and the others say the cryptic part of it.. If we take the approach to crack the cryptic part, we can cross-check with the other part and confirm our answer.. For instance,

"Locates variety of sugar found in milk (7)" in 9116 edition, is "Lactose" which is more of a direct clue though it also finds an anagram in locates.

"The one mat ruined by insect infestation(4,5)" - The word "ruined" hints that there is an anagram in some part . "The one mat" when juggled gives "Moth eaten"..

Also, by experience I found that it gets better the more you keep following them and cross-checking with previous-day answers.. Needless to say, solving together in a group also helps :) Happy solving..

Regards,
    Gayu​

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Shanvy, Theme crosswords is a good idea.
    Gayu, you know what ? This is why I write blogs here. See I got someone for my rescue. I am wondering what the cross-c is :)..I got some valuable tips from your comment.

8. padmininatarajan

padmininatarajan New IL'ite

From an addict to others..,..My whole family is into Crosswords and my daughter-in-law too has been initiated and is quite good at it though she does get thrown by esoteric clues. My brothers and I call each other up and get answers if we are stumped. My son is very good at it but does not do it everyday.

I do four Crosswords daily and in a particular order
    1. Economic Times
    2. Hindu Metro Plus
    3. Deccan Chronicle
    4. Indian Express
    5. The Hindu (if there is time)

The trick to the Hindu Crossword is that there are two guys who set it. One is good and keeps to familiar clues. The other one is weird and includes vague clues that are incomprehensible.

The Deccan Chronicle one, from the Guardian, often has themed clues--countries, rivers, flowers etc.

BTW you can get a lot of info to solve clues on the Internet.

There are Crossword Dictionaries--The Dell is especially useful for US crosswords that are a seaparate category altogether.
    Roget's Thesaurus too is very useful for beginners.

Download Wordweb for free and leave it on your taskbar--a great help for synonyms, antonyms, grammar etc. and when you write.

Another great game that I love is Bookworm. My husband thinks I waste my energy on it, my son thinks it is no great shakes and my daughter now plays it online. I love it. A great stress buster!

I used to love Tetris when it was a handheld game. Online it is too stressful as it is too fast.

Send me an email if you want answers to clues.

What about a weekly crossword on Indusladies. I can set one to start with......

Moderator please oblige.

Padmini Natarajan

9. premaraghu

premaraghu New IL'ite

hello,

Stick to easy crosswords. that way you feel better that u r able to complete the full crossword

prema raghu

10. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch,
    I am a crossword freak too. Back home in Bangalore, my Dad used to get Deccan herald and the Hindu and everyone would scramble for the crossword page. We love the Hindu Crosswords...even the Sunday ones and literary ones. My Mom is very good at it. And my younger brother is a diehard fan of cryptic crosswords. Me ... I love any thing, Easy, Cryptic. Thankfully, after marriage, I found that I was the only one with this addiction, so I can indulge myself...
    I keep buying Times, The Sunday Times Cryptic Crosswords ( which are the toughest I have come across so far...) and the New York Times Crosswords. These days, even bookshops esp. those in the airports do not stock crossword puzzle books as Sudoku and Kakuro have become popular. Though I enjoy, Sudoku, I can not do even one measly kakuro... But all said and done, nothing like the joy of completing a crossword.
    Here in UAE we get crosswords, both easy and cryptic everyday in all the papers... then Gulf Today gives a humongous one on Fridays in its Weekend tabloid. So it is heaven for me....everyday.

thank you for letting me ride my hobbyhorse...