1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My preemie baby and feeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

I didn't need do the inside out chin technique, but yes your hubby being concerned is very natural. I know DH would literally wake me up every 2 hours even @ night to feed my baby. With the epi it was getting even more difficult. Everytime we visited the doc we were all smiles with the weight gain. Little did I realise that I was doing so much in my own little way and that BF itself is a complete meal and shoots up the weight.

Long way to go, take care and hugs.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,
    Tried the chin rolling, tickling, gently rocking the bottle while feeding, burping and positioning and every technique under the sun. End result - she fed when she wanted and the quantity she wanted. God knows how the NICU nurses did it, but once she was home, she never went back to the quantity or the schedule they put her on. Unless he misses a couple of feeds and goes long stretches without feeding, I wouldn't worry about the reduction in intake. To easy your mind, why don't you talk to the nurse and see what she has to say? When I called back to check about the reduction in the intake she always reassured me that wet diapers/happy non fussy baby meant she was alright. I also remember her telling me once that the BM does change in consistency and nourishment and maybe getting richer and with the added formula, she may be getting enough even though the quantity has reduced.
    Don't worry, he'll be fine.

Regards,
    L

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

The thing is today morning I was too tired since I didnt sleep at all till 7am feed, DH started feeding him.. Rithik did not drink at all.. DH started chin technique to make him drink 43ml.. I was just wondering..

DH asks me to make sure he takes correct amount every few hrs gap.. i think he is more worried abt his wt... but ped told he has gained too good ounzes in just 1.5 days after coming home like..

Am a kind of cool.. if he did not drink the required mls am not forcing him too much.. just making sure atleast he takes 30ml.. then trying 45ml in next feeds..

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Anitha I was wondering he could be tanking up too. DD did well in the morning somewhere after 7 pm she took lesser quantity. It usually starts with for eg 3 ounces, 2 ounces and then 1 ounce towards the end of the day. I think that could be the problem. In the morning LO could be hungry towards the end of the day he could be full. You may still check his tummy and decide. While there are no shortcuts all is needed that you continuously work at it to find out the best schedule.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Anitha, the technique your nurse taught you is force feeding... feeding the child when he does not want to in my lexicon is force feeding.
    I do understand your husband's concerns, having been there myself. But and a huge but, most preemies gain well once they reach the EDD. Their behaviour, unwillingness to feed changes I also understand that what I am saying here is cold comfort for you, because at the moment, it is you/your husband who are providing care for your baby. Celebrate every gain. Just repeating what Laks says here: BM grows with your baby and calorie wise is superior to formula. It is a great thing you are able to pump the most of what your baby wants. Hang in there, you will see the cheeks filling out soon enough.

6. AnithaPartha

Ladies,

Rithik is on schedule now.. He started taking 55ml every 3hrs.. His last feed was 45ml but was okay.. God knows if he will continue with same levels.. But if he goes in this range then am sure he will become a non preemie sooner :rotfl:thumbsup

Quick question - He was born in 33w and he is going to complete his 35w.. Coming sat he will be 36w.. as weeks grows will he become normal soon???

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

:clap for baby Rithik. Really happy on seeing the msg.

Take care. Yes he will be full term @ 38 weeks :wink:

8. AnithaPartha

DEar Ladies,

Rithik was asked to take 45ml min and 60ml max.. A week since he is taking 60+mls w/o any forcing.. Sometimes 55ml and no forcing..

Sometimes he splits ups(curd like liquid) is it normal?? Also, that is coming out from nose too.. Dad & MOm says its undigested milk which is coming out and he will be okay like and not to overfeed him.. But w/o forcing he takes 60ml which is max limit for him.. do we need to call our ped and talk?? ket me know pls

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

I think thorough burping would help. Though it is normal to have a curdlish liquid from the mouth which confirms digestion, I am not aware about the curd coming from the nose. I think it can be the overdo. Paed would mention certain limit considering he is a preemie and the age range, I think ounces have to be increased per month, do not risk doing 65 ml at one shot.
    You can wait for sometime and try 45 ml only, if it is recurrent curdlish liquid from the nose then consult the paed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

this is perfectly normal.... just burp him well and keep him upright for a while after feed.. dont put him down immediately... i still keep DD upright after burping for 10 mins... for milk to settle down... to avoid spit ups, though they still happen sometimes....