1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My parents goofed up.... inputs

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by google, Feb 26, 2013.

1. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

such a small issue being blown out of proportion google. i say dont lose your heart for this small issue.
    yes there could be some misunderstanding, but i dont think it actually needs to be looked in magnifying glass. I can say confidently, had it been my husband, he would have even forgot what he ate in my house, let alone discuss with me. I feel these things are trivial issues and has absolutely no worth disturbing the peace between hubby and wifey.

3 people like this.
  2. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Your husband is so immature and you are blowing the issue.Just leave this issue aside and ask him to treat the elders as elders like the way you treat elders( your PIL).Our culture is all svrewed up I guess.On one hand we say treat elders with respect ,on the other hand son-in-law and his parents treat girls parents as c***.

Forget this issue and just let your mom know beforehand about your hubby's preference from next time.If you were inthat place, I am sure your MIL would not have even bothered to "serve" your food(But the repy would have been in favor of your MIL by some here) .Even if your mom is a MIL, she will not get support from MIL supporters here as she has given birth to you(femae) and not your hubby(a man).And OP, what make you think your mom should have known his preferences?If you are so bothered why didn't you tell her the day before?

Hmmmmm...there are still a lot of educated women folks who think that son-in-law should be treated as king.God save India.

6 people like this.
  3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Even If I visit my inlaws once in 2 yrs, will they cook something I like and make me feel welcome?

1 person likes this.
  4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Tulipzzz...How dare we expect them to provide food for us( even if it has to be ordered from outside).It is our DUTY to do so even after 24 hours of travel.That is ideal DIL you see.

3 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some Friday devil's advocating here:

Women fall in love and marry, or their parents choose, a man from a family that does not not-follow the usual practices prevalent in India. Then, why complain later about the double standards for son-in-law and DIL?

6. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ~~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

Intentional or not, OP's mom did create a small history by not caring two hoots about her Son-in-law's preferences. :rotfl

3 people like this.
  7. snm1984

snm1984 Platinum IL'ite

In a weird unexplainable way I love OP's mom,men from time to time need to be treated that way.:rant

My mom goes overboard treating Dh like a king whenever he visits.Once when he was staying in our house,he got delayed at office and came to our house around 11 pm.I told my mom not to fuss but she won't listen.My sweet mom stayed up just for him(she's an early sleeper),prepared hot simple meal of dosas and chutney(there was already lot of rice and other curry dishes leftovers) and served him.Even my Dh was very touched then.Now my Dh chooses to forgot all those acts of kindness,he refuses to even say a hello to my mom/dad quoting stupid reasons probably fed by his equally stupid mom.Its been a year since he talked.Now I regularly tell my parents to have an indifferent attitude and not be bothered about this fellow.Such men don't deserve the respect and love from our parents.

9 people like this.
  8. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Google, as much you want your DH to be treated well, I think its such a trivial thing to make an issue out of it.

Personally I haven't seem anyone who likes to eat seafood, but not poultry. Its either veg or non-veg. So maybe it was something that slipped out from your parents mind.

More than food, if you parents gave some cold-shoulder or not talk to him well, that would be disrespecting. Especially when a person is traveling and eating out a lot, rasam and plain curd rice is divine.

If it bothers you too much, request them to make a lavish meal next time, and leave it at it.

9. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Happened with us..My husband eats EVERYTHING laid in front of him, even plain rice + ghee, and he wont complain. But he has a major problem with cabbages. He cannot eat carrots and the only thing that he does not like.
    We went to lunch at sister's place and she had made cabbage ka sabzi..along with the usual dal and stuff. DH ate it without complaining. He did not make a fuss of it. And only after I had told him that how did you eat cabbage?, did he say that "Its just one meal. Not a big deal".

IMO, the damaads (sons in law) need to stop behaving like one. It is not that your mom kept him hungry!

We have lived in the US for 8 years. Do we expect royal meals every time? I know we would even eat dal chawal on some days with simply pickle, when tried. No..then why such expectations when visiting India?

3 people like this.
  10. indian78

indian78 Senior IL'ite

Thats true ,as usual.No one is saint here,everything depends on perception
    more or less.