1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My not so BAD MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Soha, May 24, 2007.

1. Soha

Soha New IL'ite

Hi
    I hv joined this site this month only. The issues disscussed here and the solutions provided by others are really of great help. I also hv a li'l problem that is my MIL. I got married bfor 2 and a half yrs(arrange). My hubby loves me a lot & takes care of every li'l thing for me. We stay far from my IL's cos of my hubby's job. From the beginning he calls his family almost daily but my MIL always blames me for coming in-between their mother-son relationship, sometimes I get irritated and hv fight with my hubby over this issue but don't care too much for them & settle down the issue within a hour or two. Whenever I go to their place I just do my duties quietly and She talks to mein soft but taunting tone. In these years, she has used all the ill words she could use against me to convince my hubby that he should not trust me like I hv bad character, hv done some jaadu over him, is trying to divide him from his younger brothers and many other things. My BIL’s don’t even talk to me & my MIL told my hubby that I stopped talking to all of them. I tried to improve everything in starting but now I just remain quiet & wait for the good time to come
    Now, I m pregnant & my husband wants that we should call his mother to take care of me post-delivery as we don't hv anyone else to rely on in this time but I m sure that if I'll allow her to come to my place she is definitely going to spoil my married life.I don’t want her around me at such a precious moment of my life. I don't know wat to do. Plz suggest smthng.:cry:

2. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi soha,
    welcome to il.
    i think u should concentrate on ur baby now than ur mil.ur baby needs all ur attention now.dun keep worryin abt them instead just keep thinkin of the lovely times ur baby will bring you.prolly she will have some jaadu to change ur mil.....:) .
    take gud care.
    lotsa luv
    pavithra
    if i can ask have u started thinkin of names for ur baby?

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Here is my two cents of advice..

How about offering to your hubby calling both parents in turns..
    like first 6 month call your parents and next 6 months call your in-laws (next 6 months you will be more prepared to ahnle her )
    Tackling MIL and her accusation, best defense is Silence ..She will get tired of speaking ill on her own.. Never reply back ..bcos this will give another excuse to her.. Dont care too much for her.. Ignorance is best policy to handle people who dont care much for you..
    Keep it small and simple interactiosn with her... If you have no choice but to call her...Keep your group of frends ready.. have some female frends whom you could talk to and share ur things..
    Lastly.focus on your big occassion than other distractions..
    Hoep this helps.
    RIa

4. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

Hi, i had the exact same problem and what i had to do was to stay strong so that my husband couldn't think "Oh she needs help, she is tired..." I did all the things on my own and tried my best: my husband never was late or not going to work because of the babies, i whent to doctor appointment by myself, whent shopping with the babies, etc And i had twins! Of course i was tired but if Mil was with me i would be tired and depressed, and stressed! My mil is not much of a worker! She would have the babies and all the house work would be mine.
    Sometimes the house was not so in order; sometimes i did meals to frozen, we ate pizza and a good ideia is to have soup everyday (you can cook for 2 days or 3 and refrigerate) and eat it for dinner with cheese toast. Somedays i would have time to make very nice meal. I did the shopping for big and not fresh things by internet and the supermarket would bring home! The fresh things i would go with babies.
    The advise of our ladie friend is precious: KEEP FRIENDS CLOSE and ask your mother to help in advance.

It worked for me! One more thing: when things are difficult remember that having a baby is difficult for every couple and it is not because you are not accepting your mil's help. Of, couse that it is inevitable that you will have her at your house for a few times - follow the previous advise.

Best regards:2thumbsup:

5. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Soha,
    Congratulation! There is nothing as wonderful as 'Motherhood'. The first time u feel ur baby move inside u is something noone else can feel or take it away from u. :2thumbsup:
    Your husband can take a minimum of 2 weeks 'Paternity Leave'. Check out if your/your husbands' employers have a Work-Life Balance Program. You can ask for assistance from there for the first 1 month or so.
    Also, there are play groups and activities in the libraries, Barnes & Noble and Churchs. The activities will relax u too. These are free.
    When my daughter was born, I had a C section and got only 6 weeks maternity vacation from work. My parents were with me for the first one year. After that my neighbors helped. They are from Turkey. They have 2 daughters. They neither speak our language nor eat our food. But they were very good people. I told them 'no meat'. Any other food good for their family is good for my baby. They took extra care with her food. My daughter even picked up a few Arabic words! If you are not working, you may need help only when you go out shopping or have a bath. So check out your neighbors. High School students are more than willing to baby-sit to earn an extra buck or two.
    I believe "Where there is a will, there is a way"!
    I'm sure u'll save money + no stress this way. Enjoy ur pregancy!
    take care,
    Sharada :wave

6. Soha

Soha New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for giving me good suggestions.
    Pavithra ur msg is really full of positive vibes. First of all I m so happy to read that u hv used ‘SHE’ for my baby as I want to hv a baby girl (my astro charts also says so) but she is not going to spell her magic on her grandma as my MIL don’t like girls, perhaps that’s the reason she doesn’t like me also. She considers girls a result of bad Karma. She doesn’t hv any daughter and never wanted to hv. That’s a different matter altogether, so leave it.

Dear Ria ur suggestion is good but that is the main prblm. Actually my mother died last year, & its still difficult for me to accept this fact. Otherwise I would hv called her and no one would hv objected as my Mil also avoid to take any responsibility.

Senthan I hv read ur posting very carefully. Wat u hv told is true. I m very religious & always pray to GOD to give me wisdom (Subuddhi) to respect elders & love youngers. I always behave very nicely with all my Ils. Whenever I goto their place , even for a day , I always touch feet of elder ones. The first thing in morning I do is touching their feet. Always keep a sweet smile on my face (I think its my nature to give a pleasent smile to everyone I meet), cook for them, never let my Mil do any household chore in my presence. Take care of everyone’s needs whether they talk to me or not. I m not saying that I m all good . Once I lost my patience when my Bil(younger) talked to me rudely & used bad words for my husband also, I really replied harshly & my mil & fil supported him so I pointed out their faults also. But than I promised myself that I m not going to do this again as I was felling guilty later & this is not wat my mother taught me. Then onwards, usually they don’t talk ill in front of me & whenevr they do I ignore it & remain quiet.
    As it goes abt negative thoughts, I hv seen a lots of ups n downs in my life. So small things never trouble me much. But as I told I lost my mother last year, who was my strength, I really broke down & started feeling alone in the world as my hubby though very loving doesn’t get much time to be with me mentally due to his workload. But now I always feel good bcos I have my baby with me all the time.

I know one day my mil is going to love me & give me the respect I deserve but it will take sometime till then I wanna keep her at a lil distance from me as I don’t wanna hv many bad memories of taunting & blaming each other.

7. Anamika29

Anamika29 New IL'ite

Hi Soha, i can understand you completely. It is not that we don't want to do the effort or the work of being and having a good realationship wth Mil but we... I feel that if we have time and space betwin us we can work better on that relationship. As I've said earlier i didn't accept my husband sugesting the help of my Mil not because i dont respect her or want to have a good relation with her but because i feel that we will have a better realation if we don't have the chance of collecting bad memories. Also i knew i would be very tired if she was in my house since i woud have more work. Some people have very nice Mil so they can relax but those of us that have difficult ones should be more wise and carefull and i agree that it is a good opportunity for spiritual development but it doesn't have to be the hard way. I didnt accept my Mil to come and live with us but of course that she comes to visit very often and i try my best all the time to improve our relationship and my spiritual development. But the good thing is that when she goes away i have time to rest, to calm, to see things in the bigger perspective, to forgive her.... etc

8. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

"I lost my mother last year, who was my strength, I really broke down & started feeling alone in the world "

I am really sorry to hear that. I hope God gives you courage to handle it and be with this reality. But let me tell you, You are cherishing sweet becoming of a lifelong relation in your stomach.. So Dont feel Let Down and Alone.. No one is really alone.. We all have atleast one God to take care of us.. Sometime it looks He s not helping us, Not listening us.. But he eventually does.
    No one can ever fill a Gap left by parent's demise. But I am sure you mom's soul will be sad to see you sad.. Thats last thing she will expect to happen to her kid..
    I have read story of Halle barry..Almost reaching at brink of suicide and she returning from there.. Bcos her Late mother's spirit stopped.. See thats the power of Mother's love.. And you just be happy you are going to be one..

No trouble in world is in-surmountable.. With Mil, Fils or all the ILs, I think it just takes a bit of trick and diplomacy to have peace... Just dont be naiive with them.. Be smart , strong.. and dont give them idea of your vulnerabilities.
    I liked the suggestion others gave.. Hiring some high-school help or so .. But even if you had to resort to MIl's help..
    -- Just be open, give her un-prejudiced try
    -- Be positive.. Dont be overtly good.. Just plain basic netural.
    -- Whenever she says bad things.. Really chant some religious mantra..
    -- If you are working.. You will have escape to office.. If you are at home.. You will have kid to distract to..So both ways are win-win..

Be happy ..
    love
    ria :wave