1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My nostalgic moments of the day!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Soldier, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

This evening I just went in haste to withdraw money from ATM. Only while nearing the famous Kapaleeshwar Temple it struck to me that this years Panguni Utsavam had already been flagged of on 20th instant, i.e. Saturday. That was proved by the innumerous pavement shops that had mushroomed to encash the visit of 1000s of people across the city to witness this famous yearly pooja rituals performed to the Lord and his consort and seek their blessings.

I was suddenly reminded of my beloved MIL. Come March every year and she used to get bubbly to be part of this celebration. She would never miss any of the events that go on for almost 15 days from day 1. Even towards the fag end of her life, when she used to find it difficult to walk up to the place, we used to take her by auto and make her stand comfortably to see the procession of Lord. Some years before her demise, she once even had a fall during the too crowded Car Festival when she went to seek His blessings. Since then on, I used to hesitate taking her through the crowd but yet she would bravely say – am I going to fall every time. Calm down and let us go! That was the spirit she used to have. Not only that, she used to gift Sudha with money and pester her to get something from these shops that spring up during that time.

We never miss any of the events of this festival. As for me, I had mentioned in one of the threads soon after I joined IL, the one occasion of this festival I love to be a part of, is the Rishaba Vahanam, which always commences at the temple around 11.00 – 11.30 p.m. While the rest of Chennai is asleep, around 90% of the Mylapore population can be seen at the temple vicinity waiting to have Lord’s Dharshan. We make our entry even when the Lord is being prepared on the Vahana to see the Aarthi before he leaves the temple on procession. The sight of Lord Shiva with his consort Lordess Karpagamba when he comes and stands at the temple entrance before stepping out of the temple – referred as Gopura Dharshanam is a not to miss sight. I used to tell my daughter, on normal days, we go the temple to see him and see now he is coming out and waiting to see us all. She would comment “Amma enna maa comedy pannare”? That particular moment – that divine occasion would take me to ecstasy and I would pray Lord bless me to come and seek your blessings like this every year. The very majestic way in which Lord Shiva would be sitting on the Rishaba Vahana, like a Raja, at a great height from where he can conveniently and comfortably see his Praja is a never to miss sight. That way I feel proud to be associated with Mylapore.

My post would be incomplete without mentioning about the beautiful carpet of Kolams drawn over a wide stretch as a mark of welcome to the Lord. By the time Lord finishes one big round along the four Mada Streets and return back it would be 4.00 or 4.30 a.m. the next early morning!

When we return, sometimes it would be even 12.30 or 1.00 at midnight when Sudha will enjoy a cone ice-cream on our way back. Though my husband has to leave for office by 6.30 a.m. the next day, we never miss this temple event and we eagerly long to participate in the festival the next year too.

I just wanted to share my nostalgia and that has, as usual turned out to be a lengthy post.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mallika

I enjoyed reading your nostalgic moment of the day and I am the first to give the fb to you. Your MIL must have had good will power.
    Olden days women had good will power and have worked a lot.

Reading your post I felt I had a good darshan of the Lord virtually.
    Good that you are staying in Mylapore and are able to see the Utsavam every year. Reading this post it shows that you are a very religous person.

Thank you for sharing your experience

love
    viji

3. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Lovely post and thanx for taking me too on such a lovely journey with you. I could actually visualise what you have described.........but unfortunately never in reality i could get Gopura Dharshanam of the lord.

Last year we visited the temple and then later we realised that the procession is going to start and as i had two small kids with me and my sil was having 2 small kids we had to listen to elders and get into our car which took us to ambattur- our home far away from the procession. So only saw madisaar mami's drawing kolams and large group of people anxiously waiting........if only i could also see the Great Lord.....

At this point of time i appreciate your MIL'S enthusiasm. So good of you also to take care of her so lovingly and also to ensure her that she enjoyed the view. Hope next time i am blessed by the lord to have this lovely dharshanam.

Love,
    Parvathi.

4. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Dear Mallika what a lovely post you wrote there your MILS devotion to watch the event, I only went once or twice could not handle it , My hubby used to be in bandabost in the proceeding,when he was in Royapetta and Mylapore he used to come and tell me the proceedings all Chennai was there except you, but you will not be able to stand in the crowds, so i prayed for us all, thank you for reminding me.---i will go when able too---it is really so heavenly.:hide:

5. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mallika

What a lovely narrative about the hustle bustle of a night-long festivity !

Can't imagine returning home past midnight, in a city ! I have been to a Jathra only once, in a village, that goes on all night. But cone Icecream at midnight ! wow, that I must do sometime !:)

It was very touching to read about your MIL's enthusiasm for the festival . What great spirit to say "i wont fall everytime !"

Enjoyed reading :thumbsup

6. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Soldier,

Wow what a wonderful post you wrote about your nostalgia. Your MIL's enthusiasm is very inspirational.

You have so vividly described the festivities to us all and it was like I was watching it live before my eyes.

Midnight icecream - oh I have done that and it sure is fun to have it at that time. :-D

Touching post from you my good friend. It was pleasure reading it.

Jaya

7. lavisri2004

lavisri2004 New IL'ite

Hello Mallika,

After reading ur article, I had tears in my eyes. I was born and brought up in mylapore and left chennai in 2004 when I was 24, as u might have guessed yes after my marriage,now in Buffalo,NY.

When I read ur article, I cud relate wht u are saying, right from my KG I used to go and attend the "panguni utsavam" every yr for all 15 days and it all started with my grand father, who used to take me there, initiallu I iused to cry seeing the crowd and then he used to bribe me with the famous" panneer soda" which I love even now. Now my grnad father is no more , he passed away on dec 14,2009 when was 90 yrs old.till last yr he used to go and attend all the utsavams, though he cant walk, my dad used to take him in his bike, I really miss him today as I loved him more than my parents and he was a pillar of support all my life.

I miss those days and yeah I miss them even now,hmm.... :(

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear soldier

You have narrated the utsavam in a very beautiful and unique way.

I am born and brought up in mumbai, but has been to chennai, and seen the "Kapaleshwar koil". My moms "Chitti" used to stay nearby.

Your MILs enthusiasm is very contagious, and it surely seems to rubbed on you.

It must be really royal and magnificent to see the Shiva in the procession.

if possible do post the pics, of the procession.

9. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Malliks,

I did remember the temple functions when I was a kid, reading your live relay.

Whether I believe in it or not, those moments of joy are really great & enjoyable.

I loved Sudha's comment: Ennamma Comedy Panrae....:biglaugh

Keep continuing your Mils tradition of going to the festival every year and enjoy those moments.

Very nice reading through.

10. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear soldier,

We dont mind the length of the posting if it is very interesting to read like yours. I felt had darshan of Kapaleeshwarar sitting on the Rishabha Vaaganam. Very simple but opt description. Your MIL will watch the utsav from the swarg dear. It is not that other times we forget , but some moments make us to remember the elders more.

Utsavs are to enjoy thoroughly. At Kochi too the utsav in our Main Temple is for ten days. We never will be at home for all these days. The elephants, processions, Panjavathyam, crowd, music concerts and other cultural programmes , shops and eateries. God, I cant wait for the next year.

thank you dear. Love to Sudha.

ganges

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010