My mother wants to know the gender of my baby !!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by anitalovesyou, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Padmasudha:
    Give it a rest! Plenty of American kids wear hand me downs but for first babies stuff gets purchased.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I think Padmasudha meant well ! :)

Here is an interesting article!
    See: When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine
    Also see:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Blue-Tel...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364143274&sr=1-1

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    The pink and blue question:
    (fyi my background is in apparel including psychology of apparel and human development)

I frankly think that the choice of pastels for babies is probably based on what looks good on white babies. In that context, one would think that apparel choices for other races might be quite different. I remember years ago my Libyan friend (whose babies were brown) chose to make a little dress for her daughter that startled me at the time but made complete sense. She made this little dress from a white material with little brown and orange polka dots on it and trimmed it with little green and orange bows. It looked fabulous on her daughter. My goddaughter who is Tibetan (black hair, slanted black eyes) I sent little dresses with red in them. African American babies look great (especially if they are really dark) in neon green, orange, turquoise. And little blonde and redheaded babies look good in those pastels.

Choice of girl boy clothing for babies is often for the ease of the parent so you don't have to explain the sex of the little baby who looks like it could be either (most babies). Those bald baby girls with the bows taped to their heads, little baby boys in train or baseball outfits.

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi People,
    Don't you think the topic of discussion has been shifted to different area? Please stick to the query of OP, not to deviate it!
    Thanks for your understandings!

5. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

@thanks Vasumathy. I do think the topic of discussion went a little bit in a different direction :) but anyways I am happy everybody has given their opinion on the matter.

@to all- I think most of you are right when you say I should not reveal the gender before the delivery, especially when it is being asked about so much !!

@Fortune1 and anahita5, I think both of you are right when you say my mother might be concerned about my inlaws preference, or she might believe in the indian mindset of the male child being better..... but what surprised me is that my mil has not even asked me once, and the reason given by my mother for her repeated asking-- boy child takes the family name of my husband forward !! I have always found her to be modern, but this side of my mother is something new to me ! :0

I would appreciate more suggestions from all you ladies :)