1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My most embarrasing moment!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 19, 2008.

1. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chechi,

Embarrassing moments shared without any embarrassment.

With my cousin's permission I am narrating one of her most embarrassing moments ever.

That was the time they had shifted to Hyderabad. After settling things at home, my cousin's husband had left for office and advised her to get whatever from the near by shop if she wanted any. She nodded her head and said "No problem. I will take care".

My cousin's husband was on his way to home for lunch. On the way he saw his wife standing in the nearby provision store and asking the shopkeeper for something. My cousin's nalla neram he went there.

As this shop keeper didn't understand English, she was asking for a particular provision in whatever telugu she knew. But the shop keeper was giving her a blank look not knowing what to reply. When she saw her husband coming she asked him " why is not the shop keeper giving what I asked and instead staring at me'?. And when he asked what she said, he was :shock: by the answer he got and asked her to leave that place as early as possible.

In telugu if we need something, we need to say "Isthava (please give). But my dear cousin has said "Osthava" meaning " Are you coming ?bonk".

Now she has become very fluent in Telugu. But whenever we happen to c her we would surely mention about this moment and have a hearty Big Laugh.

As soon as I saw this thread felt like sharing hers. Would definitely share mine very soon.

1 person likes this.
  2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Thanks for peeping in Saroj
    quote=mjsaroj;327024]nice one i really enjoyed[/quote]

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Supriya,

That was truly embarrasing but i felt sorry for you. Poor thing you were so prepared and to not be able to say! You must have felt so bad i can relate to that.

Thankyou so much for sharing your experience here.

Love,
    Devika

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kanaka, now i know why we click so much , well one of the reasons you see so much similarity in me and Mr. Swamy.( i mean in our comedy of errors atleast)

Love,
    Devika

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sharadha,

I had a hearty laugh at your cousins expense Big LaughBig Laugh. Very bad na? but it was really so hilarious. Anyway its not her mistake theres hardly any difference in Isthava and Osthava!! Wow i learnt two vital words today!!

Love,
    Chechi

6. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Nice thread Devika.

I had a great time reading all the FBs! Very funny incidents indeed. Just like all of you I too have had my share of embarrassing moments. But one is fresh in my memory because it happened recently. This happened late last year.

It was my little one’s first day at day care. As is the norm, all her stuff was supposed to have her name tag/label on it. I had printed out her name on self-adhesive tags. I got ready early morning that day and stuck the nametag on each of her items. I dropped her off to day care and off I went to work.

My workday was going to start with a meeting. I was just in time for the meeting and everyone was already seated in the room. I entered the room and suddenly everyone went silent. I said the “Good mornings” and the “how’s it goings” with great enthusiasm only to get a lukewarm reply in return. People seemed to be shying away from looking at me directly. I wondered what was wrong. Then finally one of the men in the room said in a fun-filled tone, “Hey, we know that’s where the baby came from. You really need not label the location”! I looked down at my clothes and right at the place where the incision for a C-section is made (I had a C-section), there was my daughter’s nametag stuck on my trousers! Nice, big, eye-catching tag with name written in bold letters with a permanent marker!

For the life of me, I still don’t know how it placed itself so perfectly over there!
    I could not help but burst out laughing. My laugh immediately put everyone in the room at ease. I was quite embarrassed but I think my laugh worked well in dissipating my embarrassment and in alleviating the uneasiness that was created in the room.

As they say, all’s well that ends well.

SS

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    to avoid searching for our vehicle, we have painted my son's pet name on the front of our scooty and also on the back glass of our car. We can spot our vehicle easily this way, no confusion at all.
    Well, tis happend in the early days of my marriage. I did not know cooking at all before marriage. I told the truth to my in laws even when they came to see me. But then, I had to cook one day as mil was not well. I put on the cooker, finished making sambhar and vegs. Now it was time to pack lunches. When I opened the cooker, what do I see? Only raw rice, no cooked rice. I had forgot to add water to the rice. There was no time to make fresh rice too. And fil, bil and myself had to carry our lunch (those days nobody ate out). Mil came to my rescue by declaring that lunch is idli for all and helped me make that. I was very embarassed that I did not learn cooking before marriage.
    Another super incident. Myself and hubby were returning from Trivandrum. We boarded the train and after a few minutes another couple came and told us that, we were sitting in their place. I told them that they were wrong. Then we checked up in the chart and foud that they were right (to my dismay). When I checked my pass (I was working in the Railways then and was travelling in my pass), I found that I had booked for the previous day actually by mistake.
    As I was working in Trivadrum earlier and it was before the computers, one of my colleagues immediately 'cancelled' the pass with the previous day's date. Then he found a TTE who had vacancy in his coach and we were accomodated in that with in minutes. My hubby was glaring at me thro all this. After this, I make sure that the date and train etc. are correct every time I travel.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  8. Shilpak2303

Shilpak2303 Senior IL'ite

Haha, Some funny incidents i must say...had a hearty laugh reading thru them. Here is one on mine -

A lil background first-
    A new batch of 4 trainees had joined under me. One of these was "Sanjay"
    Now, my colleague manager, who was to conduct the training with me was also named "Sanjay"

On the 2nd day of training, this manager Sanjay called me up to say that he had some urgent work and he might get late. After some time the trainee "Sanjay"'s mother called. And here is how the conversation went -

Lady : Hello madam, I called to inform you that Sanjay is not keeping well, he wont come to office today.
    Me: Are you sure mam? Coz he called me sometime back to say he might be late
    Lady: Oh no no, he has very high fever actually.
    Me: Hmm, ok ...
    Just then I say my manager going on his bike in the parking lot.
    Me ; Oh but mam he is already here !
    Lady (confused/angry) : Madam, I am really telling you he is sleeping here so i called. He has fever.
    Me : Ohhh, are you Sanjay Naidu's mother ...oops, I am so sorry mam, we are talking of different sanjay's.

I was so embarassed to face the trainee Sanjay when he came the next day !

9. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi devika,
    very good thread!!!!!
    nice reading everybodys e-moments.
    well i have couple to share!!!
    this was back when me and my sister's were at school.
    our parents had gone out with our little sister,leaving the house to me and my elder sister.
    we were too tired after playing for sometime and went to sleep.
    and i woke up after sometime hearing a noise on the window.
    all i could see was a stick and the door being banged along with bell ringing non-stop.
    i went and opened the door and the whole flat was waiting for us along with my parents.
    all this time my sister was still sleeping!!!!!
    we got good piece of advice from everybody and from then whenever we were alone our parents always took another bunch of keys with them!!!!though we learnt from the incident and never slept like that again!!!!!!

another one happened recently.
    me and my DH had gone to the beach in our honda city.
    we were coming from a walk when 2 couples were goin before us were trying to open our car.
    we silently followed them, they were discussing as to why it would not open and glaring at us since we were watching them doing all this.
    my husband went to them and said i think only my keys would open my car!!!!!
    they felt very embarrsed and went to their car which was parked couple of cars away!!!!
    regards
    pavi

10. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

To Ms. Devika Menon
    Devikaji,

Yes, the husband and wife should share their moments of happiness and the despair. Every couple must spare an hour per week, at least, to talk about the untold moments. Such a sustem would help bridging the distance that lay in understanding each other.