1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My MOM hates mobiles!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Last night was a girls night out , so the girls of the family(Mom, myself and my daughter Neiv) went out to dinner. At some point our talks do center around IL. She asked me how things are going with IL and then requested me to put in a post . About what I wondered. I saw her looking around and replying, "About Mobiles".
    What about Mobiles ,I wondered. As if reading my thoughts Mummy said,"I hate Mobiles". Goodness!!! what brought about such hatred . She ennumerated,
    1. From the time mobiles have come in vogue, the number of lies have increased. People are in one place and claim to be somewhere else.
    2. Families dont meet any more except on mobiles. Their get toghethers begin and end in mobiles.
    3. Even when you go out together ,each one is glued to their own mobiles. She justified her statement by showing around. There were a few couples who had come in to dine and each were chatting with someone else on their respective cells."Why come together at all , when you cannot be together" ,she quipped.
    4.Then looking at me she said, "Look at you, You are attending official calls even after work hours.There is no limited work hours now . Everyone is working attending official calls even at home.
    5.You spend a fortune getting the best gadget, everyone just want to flaunt thier piece. I think its a useless investment.

Before she could go on,I interrupted and told her to see the plus side. More business,easy accessibility...but she cut me short. Your Dad did very well in life without it. I let it pass...After all Mom's should have the last word!!

God Bless ,
    Devika

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

When my family visits us once a week, all the four of them come with mobiles & are "at it" more than half the time. But if I get a call when atleast one of them is free, the racket, they create! - "we come all the way to spend time with you & you are busy with mobile !"
    Well, we need them, can't do without them in the present day - but cannot help mentioning, they are a nuisance, we are inflicting upon ourselves, by getting used.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Yes, Mom's always right! Right? I kinda agree with your Mom. Although I carry a blackberry myself but I do not ever have the temptation to browse it when I am with my husband. The reverse is not true though! :) But after getting worked up about it for some time, I just let it go these days and instead tell him to take his time while I come back after finishing up something. I must say this has worked wonders! :)
    SS

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Devika,

"4.Then looking at me she said, "Look at you, You are attending official calls even after work hours.There is no limited work hours now . Everyone is working attending official calls even at home."

This is a very very valid point, I think. Because now a days even when we go for vacation to India, office people are contacting us and distirubing Rant(?) us. I too hate mobiles. we have to use it as a phone in a limited way.Now they are making more and more features in the mobile like mailing facility, T.V., and MP3 etc., and all are becoming 'adami' /slaves to this. :helpVery nice blog.Bow

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Devika, I agree with your mother. Humans have got enslaved by the gizmo called mobile... Now office hours stretch into nights... and people hardly converse... they are busy smsing... People who do not own a mobile have becoma a minority... no... a rarity!

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Devika, i second ur mom.Being an IT proffesional myself, the point 4 is soooooooo true. I get calls even as late as 2 AM saying its pretty urgent, can you join the conference call with the clients in US of A- request from manager.Cant deny it.It has made life easy as well as miserable.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Devika,

I second your mom. but also it is a boon to keep track.

8. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Devika,
    I do prefer to take my cell anywhere I go, even for an evening walk.....I find it life saving......at least we can call 911 at any unfortunate time.....
    OK, we need to know where to use it and where not to.......I usually mute the mobile while in a dinner outside........but without it, I can't imagine going out......

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi Chithra,

I am sending you my Mom's kisses .She totally agrees with you. Muah

10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Thankyou SS. Krishnamma. Twinsmom,Shanvy,Meeta , Aishu for your valuable comments.