1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Mom brought an acrobatic speciman home!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, May 19, 2009.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Barely able to open my eyes with a nose that resembled Rudolf , I sneezed for the umpteenth time :-(before picking up the call of ‘Mommy’…
    “Hello? You still sleeping?? What happened ? You again sat up late night in front of that inanimate object writing nonsense. I told you so many times…:rant. Im going to break that comp:bangcomp:”
    “Na MA, I guess I’m not well…”Aachhhhoooooooo And as if to prove it another Aacchhooooooo followed.
    “WHAT?” she shrieked. “You NEVER fall sick.”
    Despite the splitting headache I managed to say,
    “Ma, cant help it you know, whatever you think I still fall under the species of human beings. So an occasional…”
    “Rubbish.. Who did you meet yesterday?? Were you looking very pretty?”
    “Ma, how does one answer that and secondly this is a viral”
    “Your attitude is terrible.Im coming there”
    Not realizing what I was getting into I said,
    “Ok Ma…”Acchhhhhooooo

Exactly 30 mins later she arrived with a pandit in tow.
    “What is he here for?”:confused2:……..Achchooo
    “To cure you”
    “Never knew this fraudster was a quack. Isn’t he the same fella who eloped with our minor neighbour and became a pandit when he was released from jail”Accchooooooo…..
    “OH SHUT UP”:shhh:

I looked at the pandit. He looked like a hybrid of Shakti Kapoor and Prem Chopra put together… Eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkssssss!:shaking:

They both comfortably settled down as I almost collapsed sensing what was in store.
    “Panditji , here is her horoscope ….tell me whats wrong with her”
    “VIRAL ………FLU……”I croaked in the middle
    “If you don’t shut up, I shall gag you” Mommy threatened
    Exhausted of all energy and absolutely enervated, I looked at them running through my horoscope and talking about rahu, ketu etc etc.

Just then the door bell rang and my doc friend arrived with the meds for me. He looked at the Pandit and was about to say something when he saw Mommy giving him that threatening look that probably choked his vocal chords for the day. He gave me the antibiotics and left for his clinic.

After 15 minutes , I saw this pandit swaying. Worried I asked Mom if he gets fits and should we call a doc.
    “NOOOOOOOOO… Hes found it.”
    “Found what?”Acchchoooo
    “That person responsible for your sickness.”
    I wanted to ask her if he saw a mirror cause I wasn’t so sick till I saw this guy Witsend.
    As I looked at him, eyes tightly shut, swaying around with greater force now and muttering something, I wondered :ideawhat would happen if I just screamed 'FIRE....... RUNNN'. I silently chuckled imagining the reaction but said nothing as I felt a pair of angry eyes on me.
    ‘You giggle too much and I am fed up of asking you to stop giggling this much. Now see whats happened.”
    So the virus doesn’t like gigglers eh? .*sigh*Acchhhooooo

“Get a coconut” said the pandit
    Mom signaled me to obey.
    “There are no coconuts at home”… and if there were I would have broken it on your head.. I wanted to add.
    I gave the pandit a look that made him change his mind,
    “ Koi baat nahin.. We can still go on without coconuts”
    Again that Premchopra grin and he continued his buffoonery.

After another hour this pandit was normal .By then my head was spinning and every two minutes I ended sneezing and as I sneezed his mantras became louder. Wow. How situational! I popped in the pills that my doc gave me and tried to close my eyes when I felt something funny tickling my face and my nose. I opened my eyes with a start to see some feathery stuff being paraded over my body and that thing made me go on a sneezing bout. Achhooooo Achoooo Achoooooo.
    “Take this thing away”:cry:I almost cried and asked Mom to stop this torture.
    She finally said.
    “Ok we are done. If you are not well tomorrow we shall come again”

The next morning , I called up my doc friend and he asked me to continue the meds and take some vitamins also. I was much better and kept looking at the phone waiting for that threatening call. And there it was………
    “How are you?"
    “Yeah MA Im much better so please DO NOT BRING THOSE ACROBATIC SPECIMENS HERE”
    “Relax, he’s not coming. Poor guy …. Seems he’s been sneezing all night and down with fever. God knows who did this to him……….”
    I hung up and what began as a giggle had me rolling on the floor with laughter…..:rotfl

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: May 19, 2009

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Devikutty,

Wow!! real rib tickling humour.Loved the way you turned the tables around in the
    end ....the poor pandit began his "Achoooo's " were you left off .
    You could have offered to accompany MOm to visit him and perform the same acrobatics he generously did to cure you !! He would have been thrilled to get a new disciple to propogate his Mantras while he was busy with his quota of Achoooo's!!
    Thank you for the chuckles that turned into loud guffaws as I read the end.
    R just looked up puzzled to be disturbed while he was snooooozing !! :biglaugh:biglaugh
    love,L chechi

3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi Devika,:hiya

You are a great writer.. It was like watching a short movie and i really liked the way you have expressed the torture.. Was he a black magicist?? I mean I dont hear these kind of people these days.:hide:

Also, the most funny thing was, you passed on your flu to him or it would be good to put it this way.. "He took away the Flu from you"... :)

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear devi mole,
    what can i say wait "Achoooooo" " achooooo"
    I am just wondering from where did i get this? when I was reading your post I am sure i was alright. then suddenly what happened? your narration was soo super that i visualised the scene Amrish puri( for me Amrishpuri seems fit much better) your innocent mom standing in between both of you. ha ha ha !
    with lite satire added as masala your post becomes so great.
    At the end a twist like in detective serial. Mole still i am laughing"Achooo, Achoooo" sorry dear.Please send that Amrishpuri or Premchopra here!!!!!! need him immedietly to transfer my"Achooooooo"
    with love
    pad

5. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Devs, ma belle reine!

So this is another special one from you, and soooo different from the others...and sooo hilarious...

I actually lived through each scene, giggling and chuckling in turns, appreciating the Achoooooos that punctuated the narration at the most appropriate intervals...and I held my sides and guffawed with tears literally rolling down...

I marvel at the genius that brings out such exquisite chef-d'oeuvres from your pen (oops! keyboard, is that a more apt term?)

And the 'coup' at the end was most fitting...you're the one that rocks!

Lovely one, Devs...keep 'em coming!

Love, Big Bear Hugs,

Padma (RS)

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Dear Chechi,

So lovely to have you inaugurate the thread and Im really thrilled to know this one set you laughing though it kinda invoked R's wrath heheheeeeeeeeeee!
    Hey thats a great idea Chechi, must ask Mom about it...heheee.:biglaugh

Glad you liked the blog Chechi, an honour to have you say that.:)

Love n tons of it,
    Devikutty

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Another side of my devi mol!

At times you are our conscience keeper or at times court jester making us laugh.
    I assumed you are going into H1N1 , glad it is small virus that you effectively dissipated to others.
    Humor is your forte too, overall you possess all admirable traits .
    Jaya !

Aachooooo--- i think it is spreading thro mail.

8. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

Dearest Devika,
    Awesome, awesome, awwwwwwesome! You've made my day! I started giggling, laughing.........rolling with laughter and am still laughing...........Wow! an acer, I must say.......you have a very good sense of humour. Had I read this before participating in the tagging game, I would have definitely titled you as the most humourous person in the snippet section though this is the first comedy from you that I have read of........I liked your presentation too, all in 'direct speech'. Wow! Keep writing........Devika! even with your aaaachchchoooooos! hahahahaaa

9. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Lovely. So finally you treated him well with only giggles:rotfl

10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Very very funny,I think it is inborn trait of we indians to go in for some thing like this instead of science.Anyway really really enjoyed it.