1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Maid Granted To Them?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reesha, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

summary of my story is:

I have 5yr & 8 months kids. i worked as full time employee in office 1.5 yr ago. i left that for pregnancy and I chosen freelancing to balance work-kids. My DH is out from 8Am to 9PM. my inlaws are with us from 8 years. from starting onwards they are not intrested to help me in house chores and keeping their old age as reason all time. but they will have ample of energy for their intentioned works and for public services. MIL will use her energy for house hold if maids are absent for continuous days. So i managing with maids(cook, cleaning & care taker). until now & they are enjoying king & queen positions because of maids for all works. 16 hr bed time for my MIL. remaining also for her own works.

Problem is:
    now i have to restart my freelancing and trying to take out time for reading/working. but i am not getting time to sit in front of laptop at least for 4 hours per day. still i have 3 maids same as like previously. but still i am not getting more than 1hr. i analyzed myself why i am not getting. i hired a new care taker/helper for my 8 month old. i supposed to have 7 hours time from morning with out my first kid. still i am taking care of infant food preparation, bath for my bonding. remaining time i planned to give infant to my helper. so that she will make her play, roam and cuddling. i calculated myself for infant work it is taking 3 hr . so i suppose to get at least 3 hr before my first kid arrives. but not getting because....

1. MIL ordering my maid to sweep house which is already cleaned 3 hr ago by some other maid. house is 3bhk so it will take 15-20minutes.
    2. MIL used to take care of cloths drying and flipping before i hired my helper. now she ordering my helper to do those work. so it is eating 1.5 hr daily.
    3. MIL used to prepare their Tea for them before my helper arrival. but now ordering my helper. so ahain 30 min
    4. FIL taking her help in his time pass repair/manufacturing works which are unnecessary to family needs as of now.
    5. MIL using my helper for her gardening work.

so on average daily getting 30 min or 1 hr for myself.

If my MAID ignores her, she is complaining/shouting like she dont have any preference at home. even maids wont listen her orders. they will listen only DIL orders so on...and daily she is insisting my maids to fallow her orders.

i hired maids for my convenance and for my career purpose. but ILs are utilyzing like hell, so finally i am not getting time which i planned for my career. maids also demanding more salary because of these over works.

even after my 1st kid came by 4PM, just formally they will ask him to complete his home work and will leave Hall. even they are not showing intrest to teach their grandson in case of homework. how many times i can request my son to go to them and take help. he is also rejecting to spend with them because of their impatience caring and forceful teaching attitude. they will shout him instead of creating intrest levels.

finally how to solve this problem in tactful way. i am always firm and diplomatic with them from past 8 yrs and manged to maintain distance with them with help of indus ladies forum. some how adjusting lot from long time because they are parents of DH so don't care either they are help full or not. its my inbuilt ethical nature controlling me a lot of times from shouting/pointing on them. not their behaviour. but now my lovable career entering into danger zone because of their behaviour.

NOTE. my helper is fully deaf. so she cant understand with out hand actions. so no one hired her. so i want to help her by hiring her. for that also my in-laws are angry because they are impatient to tell her with actions.

Another NOTE: my husband is Sravana kumar of this story. so its waste to discuss with him.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

If discussing with Shravan Kumar is useless then approach Shravan's parents directly.

Yours is a clear case of exploitation of the maid by your in laws.

Have you told them that you are looking to restart your career? If you cannot give them the details at least give a hint that the day care maid is solely to take care of the kid and not for their needs. Also you need to say this maid that she is here to take care of the kid so that you get that 4 hrs of working time.
    Let all of them be aware that you are working towards a goal and their Co operation and help is needed to achieve the goal.
    What is the job of the 3 rd maid? If one is doing household chores, one who is supposedly take care of your kid is repeating the chores what is the 3rd maid doing?
    Effective utilization of the 3 Maids is important here setting clear boundaries for each is very important.
    Be firm and assertive with your PILs that they cannot demand any work from this helper and they can use the other two for all their work. You sit with each maid and clearly assign them their duties.
    If Shravan Kumar cannot help at least pass the ball in his court by saying the kid helper is demanding more money because she is doing 5 additional chores (as listed above) apart from taking care of the kid.
    I would go in front of the maid and firmly ask " who asked you to clean ?it's already cleaned in the morning " and say this dialogue in front of MIL. If she says I ordered her to do tell her sweetly : It's already cleaned MA. Why do you want to clean again? :)
    Assign this to two others maids.
    This is a bit tricky!
    Be very clear that this particular helper is not for such work.! And whatever they want they need to ask the other 2 maids.

shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Ask the maid to hand over your 8 month old to your mil n complete the work n take the child back.

On the other side, You either lock the door or better, start sitting in your local coffee shop for a few days then start locking the door with ‘do not disturb’ policy. Strictly be unavailable to taking care of the lo during this time. Or they will never change.

This will force your mil to keep an eye on the lo n reduce the double work she asks from your child’s caretaker.

SCA, Meghaa, shravs3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

That's kind of mean of them. Shows they are doing it on purpose if she's asking her to clean floor again and again.

Suggestion 1: Those 3 hours in the day you had calculated for when you will work and maid will handle kid? Take laptop, pack up kid and maid and go somewhere. Leave the house. Go to a park or mall or food court. There maid will entertain kid while you work. Alternatively, lock yourself in your bedroom with maid, kid and laptop for those three hours. Put loud music and refuse to come out.

Suggestion 2: Embrace evil DIL title. Make a clear schedule of tasks for each maid that accounts for every minute of time they spend in your home. Sit with each maid, show them the schedule, explain their duties and clearly make them understand they are being paid to finish all the tasks on the list.

They are to take orders from you only. You will not require them to do the hijacked work and you will not pay them for it either. Be very clear on these two points with them. (For this, be strict, you yourself should stick to this rule, you yourself shouldn't reverse in heat of moment and tell them to do IL work.) Even If inlaws tell them to do something different they are to stick with the schedule and complete the list. Keep repeating that you will not pay them for any extra work they do for your ILs. (here I am assuming you are taking care of IL basic needs and these are just some extra optional busy work they are making the maid do.)

If inlaw successfully hijacks maid: Dont argue with Inlaws. Ask the maid if she finished <task> as per schedule. If she says no, scold her, insist she go do it immediately, wait till she goes, and then only leave the place. In this process, completely ignore inlaw muttering and yelling.

Suggestion 3: After implementing 1 and 2 IL complaints against you will increase. Ask Shravan Kumar to hire fourth maid to handle MIL and FIL works exclusively. And he can take charge of hiring the person, supervising and paying also. You stay out of it.

SCA, Meghaa and Reesha like this.
  5. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Right now started fallowing first Suggestion which is hasseless.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Learn to handle things diplomatically.

You only need 3-4 hrs a day during this time, right?
    You have a maid, fully in charge of your kids, while you focus on work, right?

Now, you must plan and be a little tactful to work this well.

Find a time & a place for your work.
    Let's say 8-11 am or 9-12 am. And the place can be your bed-room or office room or wherever.
    In any case working at home isn't an option, go to a coffee shop with your laptop.
    I've worked from church and park in the past when my home was a bit too noisy.

Ask maid to look after the kids during those 3 hrs, and not to disturb you unless it is urgent.
    Lock the room, and fully focus on work.

If PILs have to demand something else from the maid, they should find a way to alternatively take care of the kid.
    Or else, they can wait till you are done with work.

All you need is to organize yourself properly and communicate with others clearly.

Get done all your works before you start official works. That includes everything including cooking or kid's work just like doing stuff before going out for work.
    Maid is expected to just look after the kids and attend to their needs. Not to cook or clean in parallel. If so she would obviously expect you to pitch in for the kids, which is not helpful.

Communicate this clearly to PILs, to H and to the maid and before everyone for one last time for their agreement and actions.
    Dont avail youself for any changes later on.

And more importantly, pay a deaf ear to the criticism. Thats the key to success

shreepriya likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Good. Hope it’s going well.
    One caution though. Just rethink the wisdom of keeping a deaf carer for a kid. Charity is fine but think of your/your kid needs. It may not be optimal. All kinds of scenarios where she is alone with kid and doesn’t hear in time??? Try to change now itself while start your journey of back to work. While you are around you can train new maid. Once you get get busy with interviews/jobs it will be harder to switch or train new person.

8. needawayout

needawayout Silver IL'ite

Hey ... If you are in any city like Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, etc, there will be people looking for roommates. Take one for day time (maybe near your husbands office) and get your baby and nanny there. YOu can sit with your legs stretched and comfy clothes and study in peace. Or if you know any friends who are sharing apartments with other girls, you can go there.

A friend of ours lived with us for a while during day time when we were at work. BUt it was for a friend, so didnt feel any different for us. But worth a try for the peace it can give u