1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My Low Carb High Fat Journey

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by PinkRubies, Oct 5, 2015.

1. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

DISCLAIMER: I am on this diet whilst under supervision from both my GP and dietitian. This diet is not just to help me lose weight but mainly prescribed to bring my insulin resistance and PCOS under control. I don't recommend anyone else doing this diet without talking to their GP. The purpose of this thread is to document my journey but of course if your GP clears you I would love to have some buddies on this journey with me.

BACKGROUND:
    The last time I remember being happy with my weight and body would be when I was 16. When I finished school I weighed 78 kg, I was size 14AU/10US. Thats when i joined Indusladies seeking a weight loss buddy. I moved away from home for university and fluctuated between 75kg to 82kg. Tried to lose weight many times but things always got in the way and never stayed committed.
    Once I started full-time work, the stress got to me and by the end of my first year working I was 91kg and diagnosed with insulin resistance and maybe PCOS. The doctor had put me on the pill to control the PCOS symptoms till I lose weight.

NOW:
    Throughout this week alot of incidences happened. My work pants were getting very tight, it was getting very uncomfortable.My baggy pants are now like skin tight, so I decided to weight myself and it showed 95.6kg. I had never seen this number on the scale. My size 16au/12us were tight, and I am 95.6 kg!! Went to the GP, got bloods done. My insulin resistance is higher, and my PCOS symptoms are masked by the pill.

PLAN:
    As I have struggled with the traditional way of losing weight, the Dr suggested to try the low carb high fat (LCHF) diet. Lower carbs means less insulin is produced, staying on this diet for around 6 months, will decrease the amount of insulin my body produces and will improve insulin sensitivity.This along with daily exercise ( aerobic and weight bearing) will allow me to lose weight. Once the insulin levels are normal I will increase my carbs and decrease the fat to a normal diet. At this point I will go off the pill, and hopefully with the weight loss the pcos symptoms should vanish as well.

I will update my weight and measurements every sunday ( except this week which will be today) and will post my intake and exercise as a daily post.

afcpreethi and Shanvy like this.

2. PinkRubies

WEIGH IN & MEASUREMENTS START

Weight 92.5kg
    Chest 104cm
    Belly 121 cm
    Hip 120 cm
    Thigh 75 cm
    Arm 35.5 cm

3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

All the Best Dear....

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@pink.rubies all the best.

low carbs definitely help in pcos management but you need to do it under your doctor's guidance and supervision.i always thought high protein was a good alternative, good to know about high fat. but both high protein and high fat need medical supervision if there is a history or some conditions..

5. PinkRubies

Thanks for the encouragement vani and shanvy!

6. PinkRubies

Week 1 Day 1

B. Omlette with spinach, mushroom and brie cheese
    L. Tuna salad
    Sn. Custard tart + brie cheese
    D. Salmon + kale

W. 2.5l
    Ex.45 min walk

1581 calories
    87g carbs

7. PinkRubies

Week 1 Day 2
    B. 2 scones with jam and cream
    L. Fettucine and bolognaise + Cake with custard
    D. seafood mix with kale

W. 1L
    Ex.nil

1511 calories
    186 carbs

I slipped as I went to a different town for that day for work, forgot breakfast and didn't prepare lunch, so I ate what was available. I need to make my breakfast and lunch the night before. As it was a tiring trip back and forth I was unmotivated to exercise, next time I plan to take my gym gear with me so I can go straight after work.