1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My lovely sojourn

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SoaringSpirit, Apr 28, 2008.

1. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Just got back from a wonderfully relaxing and rejuvenating two-week sojourn at one of the most beautiful islands I have seen so far. Well, no matter how beautiful the place or how tranquil the surroundings, home is home. And to me, there ain’t ever a place like home. So am glad to be back to my physical home as well as my online home (IL)!

Among many beautiful things that I experienced during my vacation, there is one most beautiful thing that I witnessed and that forever is going to be etched in my mind, memory and heart. It is this -

On my return journey there were a few troops on my plane returning from Iraq. As we got off the plane at Atlanta and started to proceed towards baggage claim, I heard furious footsteps coming towards us as if someone was running for their life. Before I could grasp what was happening, I saw a young lady running towards us and within no time she had climbed onto the solider walking in front of me and had held him in a tight embrace! Her face stuck between his neck and shoulders. He in turn held her around the waist. They froze like that for more than 10 mins!

I could not help but freeze there too! Sorry, I know it wasn’t particularly nice of me to stand there and glare but I was so deeply touched by their emotions that I did not realize I was supposed to keep walking. They stood silently hugging each other. Not a word spoken, not a word exchanged. There ecstatic happiness on being together again could be felt so strongly that I stood there totally speechless and misty-eyed thinking about what it would be to see and feel your loved one after constantly living under the fear that you may not see them ever again. I think that joy and that feeling of supreme luck shining on you must simply be unparalleled.

I walked up to them gave the lady a tight hug and congratulated both of them for re-uniting and wished them luck to stay re-united.

Then, I turned back and ran towards my husband who was busy collecting our bags and did an exact retake of what I had just witnessed! J Of course, the sudden shower of affection and public display of love for no apparent reason took hubby aback! I almost choked him, not with emotions but with my tight embrace around his neck! J

I once read these beautiful lines somewhere –
    “To meet and part is the way of life, but to part and meet is the hope of life”
    And this morning I saw hope in abundance.

I could not have asked for a better way to close my wonderful vacation.

Were you a witness to such a display of love or affection or any warm emtotion that has remained etched in your memory forever? Share them here and let us all drown our hearts in love and hope and emotions – the things that are so needed to keep us afloat in life..

SS

1 person likes this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear SS,

Welcome back to IL. Well glad to know you had a good vacation that ended well too!!

Yes reading your post was wonderful. I know how you must've felt I would have probably done the same SS (as in Siamese Sister, remember?) It is a great emotional turmoil for all those in the army everytime they live, the reunions are nothing short of reunion with GOD.

Yes I experiences something very similar. This was about 3 years back when there were floods in Mumbai when there was a cloud ourburst and Mumbai was very badly affected. My Mom was in Chennai at the time. The air services were disrupted as well as the rail and there was no way she could come back and every day she was listening and watching the news in Chennai and each day for her was a curse since she couldnt be with her kids and neither talk to us. The cell services had also conked off. After about a week when we met she just wouldnt leave me and my sis . She just hugged us so tight (I can relate to your hubby) and cried nonstop for a good fifteen minutes. It was a great relief for her.Actually we werent so badly affected but then there was no way we could send this message across to her. And she was in a very bad emotional state for about 10 days and her health had deteriorated.

And when we finally were leaving the airport we saw the same situation all around of loved ones hugging each other and relieved that they are blessed with a chance to be with one another. A sight I will always cherish!!

Love,
    Devika

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear SS,
    I did miss you around - not an exaggeration at all!
    The incident you have described beautifully makes great emotional reading!
    It is too late in my life to "run away" from V, atleast to check if I will get a similar welcome!!:biggrin2: I wish I experience it once "in public" - age, no bar!!
    The way you reacted to Mr SS shows how touched you were by the gesture, you witnessed. Well, SS, such display can happen only outside our country. You know how "conditioned", we, Indians are, under any circumstances.
    I have a younger sister & we had never been away from eachother even for a day till marriage. She went to London after marriage & cameback after three years. V says, we enacted a similar scene in the airport, which shocked him. So, now you know the kind of man, I am living with!!:cry:
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear SS,

That was a really touching incident and u have narrated it beautifully.

It is indeed true that every minute of our life we live in hope, hope for happiness, love, laughter and togetherness. Without Hope there is no Life. Instances like the one that u have narrated leave us with a profound sense of satisfaction though they may not be personally related to us.

I have been back in chennai for the last one month and it had been an hectic month settling down in all aspects of life. In the midst of all the chaos, I visited one of my very close friend's mother. We have been friends right from our childhood days and at present she is in US. I visited her mother at chennai and the minute her mom heard my voice through the hall way she rushed out to give me a tight hug and held on to me for a couple of minutes. I could feel her strength, warmth and affection and all the love pouring from her to me. It reminded me of the times i had visited my friend and the times i have dicussed my hopes, aspirations, dreams, setbacks et all with her mom. Reminded me of the joys that i have experienced in that household, of the stability that my friends have provide me till now.Somehow my fears and my worries for the future got erased at that minute. I knew then that life will continue to be good to me and there is more to happen and more good things to look forward to....

With Warm Regards
    Jay

5. SoaringSpirit

You won't believe it Devika, but I thought about you when I stood there all misty-eyed with no company to share my gross embarrassment at the public display of my emotions on something that wasn't even related to me! And I thought about how you'd probably be misty-eyed as well if you had witnessed this with me! :)

I remember the horrible flooding in Mumbai. I believe it was July 26 three years ago. I can only imagine your Mom's relief to finally see you and your sister. Mom's can be so weak and yet so strong, all at the same time. We grow so much more closer to our parents (and they to us) after we get married. I think I am getting more and more dependent on my parents than I was ever before. And I thought growing up was about becoming independent. How wrong I was!

BTW, I don't know if it is true for most of you, but I am not at all demonstrative when it comes to expressing my emotions towards Mom and Dad. I just go silent. No hugs and no words. Then of course, sometimes there will be a few tears. I know they still know and feel the strong bond I have with them. But sometimes I wish I could tell them in so many words, just for my own satisfaction. But nope, I can't.

My way with them is to call them up weekly (or whenever I feel like no matter what time of day it is) and talk to them about all things under the sun. I guess they know that these phone calls mean that I love them beyond words can ever convey.

BTW, I read some of the beautiful poems you have been penning while I was out. Wonderful! Will leave my comments there.

Love,
    SS

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

How many such families hanging on to hope for "that one day" :cry: :cry:

God bless all the soldiers not just in America.. but around the world, who's fighting for their country, so that their fellow countrymen can sleep in peace in their beds at home.

1 person likes this.
  7. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Dear SS,

I can relate the emotion of your parents to mine. Both mom n dad are not that kind who will hug n show their love... but we know that.. their life surrounds around my wellbeing. They stay in Cbe and not a single day passes without me calling them. If i do not speak to them for more than a day... then it is my dad.. who will call me with a worried tone to hear my voice.

Now, they have come to the US to spend some time with me and my family.

I express my love to DH and kids by hugs and kisses... but wasnt bought up in the way to show the same to my parents and always long for their hug.

It so happened that last friday..my mom was busy in the kitchen and i just happened to stand next to her. She turned to chat and i just gave her a light hug... just that i felt to do that. It looked like she was just waiting for that moment and she hugged me so tight which i have never felt before. It made me cry with joy and i still cherish that moment. I enjoy just by thinking about it.

Anu

8. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Welcome Back SS,

Glad to read your post. I have grown up with this Army reunion experiences since I was 3. So very much a part of me.

Ria

9. SoaringSpirit

My dearest dear Chithra,

Let me admit one thing first, the fact that my absence was even noticed was enough to make me much happy. But your mention that you missed me while I was out is surely a cause of celebration for me! You surely know how to make me float on cloud 9 which I have been all day today since reading your full of warmth FB! You sure made me feel so wanted and welcome here! Well, after reading your wonderful blog on being candid, I just could not help but candidly (and shamelessly!) admit my happiness on being missed by you! J

You are totally correct Chithra that such public display of affection can only happen comfortably outside of India. I think in India I would not feel comfortable doing it even now when I am so called America returned. Then again, I don’t know. May be I would surprise myself. Well, even here it took Indians like me (and hubby) several years before sort of feeling comfortable with a doing a small gesture like a hug in public.

I have noted one thing though. For some reason, I seem to be getting bolder than what I was and hubby seems to be getting more conservative than what he has been!

I can visualize Mr. V’s shock to your innocent and loving gesture towards your sister! I know that some of us just don’t feel comfortable or “normal” in expressing our feelings openly. In fact, we try to hide them with all our might. Silence we think should say everything for us. It is left up to the other person to decipher the silence and interpret it the way they like.

Knowing your bubbly and super affectionate nature, don’t be surprised if one day Mr. V decides to surprise himself and thoroughly surprise you by breaking his own rules!

Well, when I visit Chennai one day you can be rest assured that I will be doing a retake of my airport incident to you, not once, but many times over! J

SS

10. SoaringSpirit

Dear Jay,

How are you? How has the move back home been? How has your little girl taken to all the changes? I hope things are going more or less as you had expected them to be.

Your narration of the visit to your friend’s house took me down memory lane! I have one such very close friend whose home I always visit no matter what and I feel the same emotions that you have so beautifully narrated. My friend now lives here in the US but her parents still live in my home town Mumbai.

I can totally identify what you must have felt to meet your friend’s mom and be in the house where you spent so many of your growing up hours and dreamt beautiful dreams about your future. Isn’t it such a huge security blanket for us to be in a place and to be among people who know us so well?

I am glad for you that you have such warmth and closeness to fall back upon. Really, nothing can ever substitute the feeling of wellness and cheer we experience in such company and nothing can ever fill the void when this ceases to exist. Well, let me not go in the dark ally here but just be happy and thank our stars that we have such people around us to lean on.

Love,
    SS