1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Love And Hate Relationship With Upma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by virtualkv2020, Jan 1, 2019.

1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

My mom and grandma have always been experts at making upma, but I was more into dosas, so I never really cared or appreciated the perfect upma that was being dished out in my home kitchen.

During my early teens, we girls enjoyed practicing under the warm sun everyday for 3 hours for an upcoming fun event. We then enjoyed a large scoop of tomato upma being served by our school management during breaks. This was when my love for upma began. My mom made a similar version but I enjoyed eating this one more. Then came a phase in life when I started hating upma! I had the worst kind ever during my hostel days. It was raw, lumpy and oily with burnt onions. I vowed never to eat it again as I always had bread to my rescue.

During my final semester, I had to stay at a different place for my project work. My dear friend’s mom and aunt insisted that we eat breakfast everyday at their place before heading to work. The love for upma that was buried deep inside me has risen and till today I cannot stop appreciating my friend’s family for being a lovely host.

The only bitter experience I faced during my masters was when my aunt (not mil) turned furious when I politely refused to make tomato upma as I had a deadline to meet for an assignment. It ended with an exchange of bitter words. I never knew that the humble upma could strain relationships. However, we have forgiven each other and I moved on to experience a much more independent life. Lessons learned - never be too humble and stand for yourself when you need to!

Soon after I was married, life took a new turn and I was in charge of my very own kitchen experimenting on my newly found guinea pig… my dear husband. I religiously made upma once a week which I had mastered from the master chefs of my family. My husband was extremely impressed as my mother in law never got it right and his love for upma began. My parents in laws fell for it too. I lost interest in relishing this easy to make breakfast as I got to eat it more often.

We were invited to a relative’s place and was served with a cake of piping hot upma, but the moment I tried to dig in, the raw rava started flowing out. I found it funny, but couldn’t I express it as I felt sensitive. I somehow managed to serve it to my hubby without his knowledge and enjoyed watching his expressions and his poor ability to fake emotions. We were probably invited without the lady’s consent or she must be a terrible cook.

I had a strong craving for upma during both my pregnancies and enjoyed it more than any other time of my life. Over the years, I have mastered making different types of upma. My husband and kids enjoy upma and are always ready for an extra serving. I enjoy eating it too but some how cannot over indulge. I still feel nostalgic whenever I eat tomato upma which triggered me to write this post and I might have shared this story with my family a million times!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

And the recipé for that Upma you love issss... ?

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@kveena,

Good one!

Call it Upma, uppindi or uppittu, this item can bring out strong emotions or opinions in most people. Most upma haters were born in hostels and canteens! After a long struggle, I have learnt to make quite a variety of good uppittu and it is my last resort when I need to perk up my mood. Your article has prompted me to make uppittu for breakfast today.

Happy New Year!

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Now Upmaa has lost its traditional identity and has taken more avatars with many vegetables,sago,beaten rice, with many cereals like ragi etc ,oats and what not. and has won international award also.Taste also differs. Some like very soft pasty upma that is overcooked and some like upma which is non sticky and each one would defend his/her own preparation.
    Upma that was prepared in bronze pot seemed to taste better.Arisi upma with brinjal kotsu was a great combination.Upma kozhukattai is another version.

My son who hated upma liked it a lot when it was flattened, steamed again to look like nonbu adai.
    In the village the corner Ganesha seemed to be fond of Upma and upma was offered as neivedyam by villagers in turn.Sometimes upma was left undistributed was decayed.

Children who started learning English just then would like to translate the event of decayed upma in this fashion,

'Son who temple salt flour needle gone'( A literal translation of 'pillai yar kovil uppumaa oosi pOchchu.'

Sweet memories of upma on the new year.
    jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and virtualkv2020 like this.
  5. virtualkv2020

Happy New Year to you too!

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Manchi upma story @kveena.
    Like you even I hated upma several years. I call it concrete :p.
    But used to enjoy upma only if it was made at night with lots of veggies and I like to eat with pickle and curd.
    After coming to US, every week upma is mandatory :tearsofjoy:. Upma becomes heavenly with dollop of ghee

Thyagarajan and virtualkv2020 like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

Tomato Upma (Andhra style)
    Roast a cup of sooji rava (coarse variety) in little ghee and keep aside.Heat some oil in a pan,add little chana dal and mustard seeds and let them crackle.Add little chopped ginger,chopped green chillies,slit cashew nuts and curry leaves,fry.Add finely chopped onions,salt and fry till the onions turn translucent.Add little turmeric,finely chopped tomatoes (skip adding turmeric and tomatoes for plain upma) and cook till soft.Add 2 cups water,little ghee and bring to a boil.Reduce the flame,add sooji rava little by little while stirring continuously.Mix well till nicely cooked.Remove,garnish with roasted cashews and serve hot.Enjoy!

Note - For a variation add some diced capsicum to the above recipe.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  8. virtualkv2020

Yes I heard about an Indian chef winning 100,000$ for his Mushroom sooji upma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I cannot find the forum link of a video song about a spouse who has had enough with upma, upma, upma everyday.

Even if your Tamil is somewhat shaky (like mine), you can get the gist of that lament, and the cute wife's responses:

jskls and virtualkv2020 like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:you have done wonderful mouth watering tasty aromaful uppuumaa.
    Nostalgic Indeed. I remember my baschelor days udipi hotel saroj chembur where tomato uppma seved with sidedishes every morning. It used to be a good mix of sweet and bit of chilli.
    3. It reminds the thread on kichidi the taste of which varies from state to state.
    4. Though Some DH appear to be Guniea pig in the beginning later they become master chef while continue to serve as DH as well .
    Thanks & Regards.
    GOD BLESS.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

virtualkv2020 likes this.