My London Travelogue

Discussion in 'Travel' started by skchivukula, Jan 23, 2010.

1. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi Freinds -
    would like to share my London travelogue which was published in the Times of India 2 years ago. I am reproducing the article as it is.
    Please pour in your comments after going thru the article titled -
    LONDON OLD YET FRESH
    A trip to London is expensive, yes, but very interesting and exciting. It is a city where one finds a fine blend of tradition and modernity. There is no dearth of ancient buildings in and around London --there are regal citadels, imperial palaces, massive forts, palatial buildings and stately mansions. There is a touch of regality in the air here and the government, it is said, makes every effort to help retain the old flavour in the city.
    I visited this ancient yet modern metro a few months ago with my husband. I was thrilled when we arrived at London, Heathrow on that chilly winter morning --- the sun was hardly visible due to cloudy weather. We had a two-week comfortable stay at Hotel Marriott, enjoying a completely new life in a different culture.
    London is home to people of different nationalities. Here we come across people from almost all countries, not just as tourists, but also residents. Londoners are appreciated for their mannerisms, prompt and excellent service and of course for their exceptional cleanliness. The well-maintained roads and the well-developed transport system especially the Tube makes traveling in the country very convenient. Hotels, shopping centers, onepound shops and other tourist infrastructure make the trip to London pleasurable.
    Tube ways in London are worth mentioning. Run by the UK government, it is the cheapest way to go around London. One need not buy a train ticket each time you board a train. London transport provides reusable Oyster cards ie.weekly and season passes.
    We took weekly Oyster cards and went out on a cold sunny November morning to the Royal Palace - the famous Buckingham Palace to watch the 'Changing of Guards'--- a royal ceremony
    which is completed by 11.30 a.m. everyday. Thousands of tourists throng the place to watch the royal guards. It is a colourful and entertaining ritual carried out to perfection day after day. The guards, impeccably dressed in uniforms, and the band with shiny musical instruments carry out their duties devotedly, unmindful of scores of tourists flocking to get a glimpse of them.
    From there we made our way to Westminster Abbey to have a look at the famous Clock Tower --- The Big Ben, which is well worth a watch. On the way back we had a short stop at the Trafalgar Square. I was thrilled to see London Bridge on the River Thames as it reminded me of the famous poem"London Bridge is falling down…"
    The tower bridge, the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, St Paul's Cathedral (where Charles and Lady Diana got married!), all line the bank of the river. Shakespeare's Globe theatre too lies on the banks of the Thames.
    Piccadilly Circus, at the heart of the West End in London, is the meeting point of some of London's most famous streets. Piccadilly, Regent Street, Shaftesbury Avenue all lead off from Piccadilly Circus with its brightly coloured lights. At the centre of Piccadilly Circus is the equally famous Eros statue, a popular location for visitors to take photographs.
    The top attraction of London - a must seesight is the London Eye-an ultra-modern and hightech construction run by the British Airways. It is the Millennium Wheel and is a new way to see the capital.It takes you to a height of 450 feet to have a bird's eye view of London City and its surroundings. It takes 30 minutes to complete one revolution. One should not miss the experience as it gives a chance to view London from a height.
    London is one of the world's greatest cities. The open-top, live-guided sightseeing tour is one way to experience the architectural and cultural magnificence of London. A trip to London is full
    of historical sights, amazing facts, and above all lots of fun.
    London has something for everyone. It's a treasure trove for the art connoisseur, since it abounds in galleries. It is a city that has the hustle and the bustle with the old charm of yesteryears! A city that is avant-garde and traditional at the same time!
    Be amazed, be very amazed!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

2. skchivukula

sorry friends forgot to attach photos
    here are the photos of london bridge

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. subha04

subha04 New IL'ite

hello friend - a well written traveloge and beautiful snap of london bridge. thanks for sharing
    keep sharing

4. eiya

eiya New IL'ite

hello skchivu
    excellent shots of london bridge. thanks for sharing your london trip.
    i think you have enjoyed the trip a lot

5. skchivukula

my sincere thanks to subha n eiya for the compliments.

6. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing skchivu!!
    Very very nicely written. :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. skchivukula

thank you archana for liking my work

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

A lovely post and it served as a quick and sweet reminder of our recent trip to London in 2009. Thank you! The photos attached are lovely too. You are so true that London is a perfect blend of tradition and modernity. Congratulations on the travelogue being published in the Times of India 2 years ago.

9. skchivukula

thanks a lot dear friend for your compliment

10. vvanand

vvanand Senior IL'ite

I am truely amazed by your article and snaps. Tempted to go and visit london after reading your write-up.:)