1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Little One's Rhyme Time!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sapthu02, Aug 24, 2012.

1. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

I am learning every thing along with my baby. Now started to learn the way of teaching. I know teaching a 2 year old kid to their understanding is kindda difficult. I did feel so until I figured out the way.

I used to explain the rhymes also sentence by sentence in tamil and ensure she understands and then go ahead futher.

Never a time Lucky's dad sat to hear her say the rhymes. And I did that everyday, almost twice a day, infact. Yesterday, my DH decided to ensure to check her knowledge about what she learnt in her pre nursery.

He said, "Lucky, enough of your Abcd's and Twinkle Twinkle. Now tell me Jack and Jill!"

Lucky jumped with joy, I knew that she was well aware of the rhyme and its her favourite one. Meanwhile she does the actions too while she tells them out..

She started in her gibberish tone, " Jack and Jillwent up the hillto fetch a pail of water jack keela vilundhurichuthanni killa kottidichu Jack crown odanjirichuJill urrundu urrundu vanduchu"

That was half tamil and half in english. My Dh gave me a puzzled look. And, I silently went out of the scene.

I was sure she always said it right, fully in english, as the rhyme has to be. BUt yesterday, was different. My Dh came to me, "Kutty this is what we call as influence. What ever you teach, she is going to learn that. Remember. She will blindly follow what you say."

I did understand what he meant. But, was my teaching method wrong? I was proud that my LO can tell the rhyme in English and can explain in Tamil. Yesterday's incident left me confused. Please share some ideas and feedback!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this.

2. ashimasd

ashimasd Silver IL'ite

It just means your lucky is smarter than her age and actually knows Jack and Jill in two languages!!!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown Treaaaat her and yourself for being such a great teacher!!!:cheers

2 people like this.
  3. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

// " Jack and Jillwent up the hillto fetch a pail of water jack keela vilundhurichuthanni killa kottidichu Jack crown odanjirichuJill urrundu urrundu vanduchu"//
    I really couldnt stop my laughter after reading her tamil version of Jack & Jill.So sweet.My hugs to her.That was indeed very cute that too if we hear it from her voice.Regarding your teaching converse with her in english too so that she doesnt need translation.Nowadays kids are too smarter & they can grasp & switch to both language equally.

4. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

Hey thanks Ambika.. yea that was cute too.. today she told me pussy cat pussy where have you been? and eneded the last line as "chair keela rat a bayampudithiruchu amma"

i taught her again.. lets see .. i sud folow your instructions now..

1 person likes this.
  5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

that was very very sweet of lucky :) .... really amazing talent she has got....how about you teaching her the same rhyme in two different languages? she is sure to become one smartie pie right....

JMO - this age is so crutial for kids where learn and grasp everything that is being taught. So never restrict her teaching to one language. Let her explore er linguistic skiils.

Next time she tells the rhyme in tamil, how about you telling her 'now lets try the english version' ... so that way she makes her parents happy and telling the rhyme in her native tongue makes her happy.

My hugs to little lucky

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thats so sweet and spontaneous Sapthana - one you could get only from a kid. May be she picked up tamil words when you all were talking. Made a very good read. Thanks. -rgs

7. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

oh absolutely not....Lucky is indeed quite smart....so dont think you r doing wrong....its gr8 that shez not reciting it for the sake of it...she understands & this whole exercise will increase her brain power. Please continue to do the same. That's what I do with my DS too.

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

DEar Sapthu
    lovely to read about your lucky and i couldnt control my laughter after reading her jackand jill rhymes...
    i would say,no wrong at all..she is infact learning with the meaning which is very very good..
    you can give yourself a pat that she told the rhymes without any confusion...
    leave her,she is still a kid and its lovely to hear them say these things,even if they blabber...never will you get the chance to listen to their blabberings when they grow big
    so just sit and enjoy!!!!!!