My little boy arrived as my birthday gift.

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by gayathriar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear all,

I am happy to share the news of the arrival of my little son Adithya on october 7 at 2:47 pm. He arrived 2 days before my birthday and is a God sent birthday present this year...!

Here goes the birth story.....

I had a c-section the first time around with Guhan. 'Schedule a c-section on october 9, so that you and your son can share a birthday' advised a well meaning friend. 'Normal delivery is the way to go' quipped another friend who braved 2 deliveries without any trace of epidural near her. 'c-section is the better option' suggested my manager who had experienced both normal and a c-section delivery. 'After 37 weeks you should probably schedule a c-section on an auspicious date' declared a friend who opted for an elective c-section the second time around.

Well, both my husband and I are not very comfortable determining the date and time the baby would arrive, we just would like to leave it upto God. Also, I wanted to experience a normal delivery and wanted to try out VBAC if I can. My gyn gave a nice green signal and encouraged my effort suggesting that she would let me go 4 days beyond my due date and only if I did not get into labor by then, she would try a c-section. Her only condition was that she would not induce me this time and the labor had to start on its own. I was due on the 6th of october and scheduled a
    c-section on 10th afternoon just in case...

At the doctor's visit 2 days prior to my due date, I was nowhere close to dialation. That made me quite certain that I would only deliver on the 10th. So, I opted to work from home the next week, which was an option provided to me. It was business as usual on the day I was originally due and there was abosolutely no sign of any delivery whatsoever.

However, the very next day was completely different. When I woke-up to go to the restroom( must have been atleast the 5th time that night ) at around 2 am, I felt something happening beyond my control and realised that my water broke. I called my doctor and was adviced to get admitted as early as possible. My husband rushed me into the hospital while my parents were home with my first born under their care.

Even a fresh pair of jeans with a jumbo pad underneath could not conceal the fact that my water broke and I was directly admitted without having to go to the triage. I was in the labor and delivery room by 4 am. As soon as I was there, I was tied to various monitors and it was observed that the baby was very much stressed. This triggered an anxiety that I might have an emergency c-section. But the concern was abated in just a few minutes after I was administered some oxygen. We both dosed off a little bit and when one of my doctor's visited me at 6 am, I was all set for a
    normal delivery and had even started contracting a little bit.

My doctor came in at 8 am and examined me. I was only half cm dialated. She decided to check back at 10 am, at which time, I was close to one cm dialated. The frequency of my contractions decreased and were 7 minutes apart. But that still helped me dialate only another half cm more when my doc checked me at noon. And around 2 pm, I was only 2 cm dialated. This caused some concern, and my doctor suggested an immediete
    c-section or administering a slight dosage of petocin( lower than the amount used for induction ). However, my doctor was quite concerned with the pace my labor was progressing even after 12 hours after my water broke. This made us opt for a c-section.

Just 15 minutes after the decision was made, I was in the operation theatre and within the next fifteen minutes, baby Adithya was born.

Looking back, I wonder if I could have delivered normally had I tried the second option. But, that thought just vanishes the moment I look at our healthy and bonny newborn. I am also satisfied that I carried the baby as long as I could, experienced a little bit of a normal delivery and did not determine the date and time the baby would be born. What do you think???

-Gayathri.

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Gayatri

Hearty congratulations on the arrival of Aditya. May God shower health, wealth and happiness on him. Kudos to you. You said it right. All it matters is a healthy and bonny baby.
    :gift

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Congrats Gayathri..Happy birthday..BTW i was not aware that you were pregnant..Take care.

4. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayatri

Congrats of arrival of kutti aditya. May God shower all his blessings on him. Take care.

Lakshmi

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hey Gayathri,

Wonderful birth story. I didn't know you were pregnant:) How is Guhan welcoming the little borther? I hope you are recovering well too. Take plenty of rest.. 2 boys means lots of work as they grow up:thumbsup.

Latha

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Gayathri,

"Doubly" Happy for you !! Birthday wishes to you... and take utmost care of your health.

With love,

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI gayathri...

COngratulations on the arrival of new born... may god shower the little one...

take care...

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Dear Gayathri,
    I didnt realize you were pregnant either! Wishing little Adithya a long, happy and healthy life!

Vanathi.

PS - My 2 cents: dont keep second-guessing youeself - you never will know and it doesnt matter in the slightest.

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Usha

Many thanks for your wishes...Thanks for making me feel good..!

-Gayathri.

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Supriya,

Many thanks for your both your wishes...! I had indicated in a few posts about my pregnancy, but I guess that didn't have much visibility...I didn't intend keeping it secretive at all :) Thanks dear..!

-Gayathri.