1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My little angel is turning one soon - Party advice

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by SGBV, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear moms

My little angel is turning one next month. We all are in the process of planning her birthday party. Definitely it is gonna be a big function and a family get-together after a while. So, I am hoping to make it a memorable one.

Your ideas are welcome for the following things

- Theme
    - Colour
    - Party frock - Birthday designs
    - Traditional frock (silk designs)
    - Accessories for the little one
    - Balloon designs
    - Cake designs (latest trends?)

Anything with pictures will be much appreciated.

There will be some 200 guests, mostly family members and close friends. The function will be celebrated at our villa, so there is a lot of space.

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I still remember you from your pregnancy days and she is already 1?! Wow! SGBV, here is a link where I have updated my DD’s first and second birthday celebrations. I have included lots of pictures. Same thing, Srama also did. She also updated lots of pictures. Do take a look and see if its of any help:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...g/246517-check-here-first-useful-threads.html

Theme: Theme party is easy to pull off if the space is limited. Since you are hosting for 200 people and its going to be in a villa, I am not too sure how practical is it going to be to get a theme in place and the supplies required for a theme to fall in place for such a big crowd/villa. But if supplies and money is not an issue, try to think from the baby’s perspective. What does she like? Does she like any cartoon characters? Maybe balloons? You can base a theme based on that. Keep in mind, I had my DD’s second birthday based on Dora and boy oh boy, it was hard to pull that off. And it was for only 40 people.
    Is it possible for 200 people? Yes but its hard.

Color: If you are having a theme party, I would say have something in contrast for the girls dress with small patterns of the theme color. i.e, say you are having a Mickey Mouse theme party, have something in those lines on the dress. As for the designs, I went to a boutique to get a dress. After that, I went to another supermarket and to my surprise, I found something very attractive for a very small price and she ended up wearing it. Oh by the way, buy at least 2 dresses (fancy one’s); with these kids, you never know if they spoil the dress just before cake cutting.

Traditional frock: No idea.

Accessories: I did not have any accessories on her. I knew she was going to be already uncomfortable with so many crowds around her. So, the only accessory on her were the earrings. So, keep in mind the child’s comfort when buying accessories. They get very fussy in crowds.

Cake Designs: Please see both my threads on cake designs and flavors. But in all honesty, I borrowed a book from library on cakes to get an idea about what y options could be. Please see my threads, I updated lots of pictures.

Have you thought about party favors (return gifts) and entertainment yet?

sindmani likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot for the useful links and suggestions Rakhii. I understand, it needs a lot of planning and organization to host a memorable event.

I have first hand experience with my son's first, second and third birthdays in halls, and hotels before, It was a perfect themed party, with his favorite cartoons. The first one was, engine No-09 as it was his favorite rhyme then. The second one was Barney and friends, and the last one was Kungfu Panda. We hosted the party for nearly 50-60 people, so arranging a theme with help was not a tough task.

My girl's B'day is something very special for us. Not sure why though.. Perhaps, we have finally settled down without problems in our marriage life, or settled down in a house of our own, or career or what. We are indeed happy, so we want this to be a special event.

Will post pics of my one's soon

vsharma likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Yes SGBV, I am aware of a few really hard things you had to go through but really glad that those days are over and its time to celebrate.

It maynot be too hard to pull this off with lot of help. I said its hard because my DH and I were doing everything on our own here as hiring help was very expensive. That included, decorations also. But I know if you hire help, it wouldnt be too hard.
    You already have experience hosting parties, you will be fine.

For 200 people, are you planning on setting round tables (10 per table)? Probably that would be an ideal way; else, everyone would be roaming all over the place. Make sure to have the center piece in line with the theme.

Also, the invitations...get something really new. If you want, I can PM you the website where I ordered the invitation cards. Though you maynot be able to order from here, you will get an idea.

And surely get/buy a cake book. Go for something new, not the same old flavor cakes.

Good luck! And yes, please think about what you are going to wear, including your make-up and other accessories. Dont wait till the last minute. Usually everyone other than the mom would be looking fresh on the Day. lol

Share some pics too, I love birthday parties.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

SGBV, Congratulations! You can totally pull it off, however, with only one month to go, you might need to let something go. For instance, an evite instead of a regular invite in mail.

I like to do lot of DIYs for any occasion to make it personalized but if you are not feeling very crafty or don't have time, markets are full of cute stuff.
    Enjoy the big day!

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot girls.. You are really supportive.

I have a lot of helps around. My H, brother and SIL, sister and BIL, and we have a lot of close friends and cousins who would love to share the work. It is very possible to get done all the works here if we have money.

I have already started painting my villa. Cleaning and arranging the garden for the party is already underway.

We are planning to throw a dinner party. We will place round tables with 5 chairs in it. There will be also long tables in each corners with 10 chairs. Mostly the relative women would come inside the home, and sit in our balcony. We are planning to arrange 2 rooms near the balcony for the dinner service of these relative women.

Mostly the friends, colleagues of both genders and all the male members would sit in the round table out side.

Since the cake cutting will be inside our home, I thought of keeping all the children in our living room with some innovative play events.

My girl will be with us inside the house; hence she won't get to see the whole lot of people at once/one place.

Beverages, and bites were already ordered. Same with the main meal too.

I am still confusing for the theme only. Not sure what my little one likes.
    With my son, I was quite sure that he loved that Engine Engine No 9 rhyme. He would dance and feel extremely happy if he hears that rhyme. He even could figure out that particular Engine in videos or pictures at that age. This girl is quite active though, but not particularly attracted to any. She simply follow her brother, and change her mind as per what he plays.

Time is running, and I am also quite busy with other committeemen at now. Not sure whether I can still break my head to discover what my girl likes?

Once the theme is ready, I know others will fall in place. I can simply order the card, cake, balloons, and decorations as per the theme. Also table cloths, and other items, specially her dress and the birth-day hat too can be ordered. But theme is the problem now?

Could anyone suggest a theme which would be suitable for a chabby 01 year old girl? She would look great in red, purple, pink, yellow and blue colours. Green and black doesn't go well on her skin tone.

7. Rakhii

Theme: Looks like that's the hold up. Here are the common things i think kids that age love:

1. Balloons
    2. Rainbows
    3. Favorite animals. There has go to be at least one animal she must like. Think about that

sindmani likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Nuss, she is inviting 200 people. i would totally ditch DIY's! Lol

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii- I meant simple stuff like a birthday banner, pictures from every month, from birth to 12 months, special party hat for the birthday girl etc that will be same for 20 or 200 people.

1 person likes this.
  10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

SGBV- I planned an elephant theme for my son's first birthday and planning a train theme for his second. My friend went with rainbow theme for her little girls birthday and it was really cute and much easier. You can just pick some colors and make that your theme. Another idea if she is a reader, a book theme. I thought about a book theme for my son's second birthday but we are going to have a party at the zoo because he loves the little train there, so it's going to be trains.

sindmani and vsharma like this.