1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. sirisha

sirisha New IL'ite

Salute to your patience and courage.

You are doing great job....

one day he will do all his miracles...

keep going...

1 person likes this.
  2. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

At last got the draft IEP from the school. little tricky but need to read with big magnifying glasses every corner. The chair person suddenly talking to me very nice. So i think i need 2 magnifying glasses to gothrough the IEP whether any services are reduced. I do see few improvements with my Boy. So I am happy for that. Here, I wanted to share my Boy Early Intervention days that is first 3 years. I came to my husband's place when my Boy was 4 months old and he was able to roll and try to reach for things but not moving. I very well remember when he got hiccups he use to shout and yell but not crying. That tender noises i still remember. He use to babble also when he gets hiccups. That was very funny.when he was 6 months i started early intervention like stimulation and physical therapy. I use to take My Boy 3 times a week to the center for both stimulation and PT and also noted some home therapies and did the therapies for my Boy at home.

He was very co-operative.I put his favorite music and made him do all the exercises.he did not crawl but he was creeping till he was 10 months. I made him practice sitting in my lap while feeding and also other times so that his back got strengthened and when he was 1 year and 2 months he started sitting on his own. I was so happy saw my Boy sat on his own. He also enjoyed that independence.Both PT and stimulation therapist were so good and kind enough to give me lot of tips to improve his muscle tone and social skill. That was very helpful. then we came to US when he was 1 year and 10 months. here also we continued the Early intervention and my Boy was blessed with a very good PT and other therapists. He started walking when he was 2years.I made him climb on the stairs. use to sing his favorite songs and rhymes. Tried tricycle he did well but not pedaling but showed interest and he use to push the floor and move the tricycle. I really enjoyed the Early Intervention part with my Boy!

sindmani, vsharma and Laks09 like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you and hats off for facing all the challenges sent your way with courage. I do hope and pray that things change for the better and get easier with the passage of time. Your boy is lucky to have you to love and support him. A big hug to him too.

1 person likes this.
  4. Swethasri

Thanks Satchi. I am trying my best. Let us how things goes. thanks for your encouraging words.

5. Swethasri

I really enjoyed this weekend. Friday, my Boy's friend invited us for his birthday party. So we are all so excited and went to the party. Very interesting and surprising thing is the birthday boy's Mom was in the entrance and happily received us but she cannot speak and hear. She knows the sign language so we were able to manage understanding her. When we enter the party room, all the families who came for the party cannot speak and hear. We saw a very different world and we enjoyed it a lot. They all communicate with sign language and more than anything they are all happy!some of their kids are able speak but they too communicate by sign language to their parents. Isn't that Awesome!!!

7 people like this.
  6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Swethasri That is awesome. No language barriers. Just free flow of communication.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Swethasri, big hugs to you and your dear child. I used to volunteer at the special kids' school by teaching the kids on how to use the computer. It's not easy to handle them. Not impossible, just not easy. Kudos to your patience and perseverance! I'm very sure all your hardwork and patience will pay off one day. Really wish you both were near me so that I can give you tight hugs!

2 people like this.
  8. Swethasri

OMG this week starts very tough so many follow ups lot of confusions to buy a new insurance to cover Autism services. State health insurance is taking very long time. So too many things and we overloaded and became tired. So we decided to take one thing at a time and focus on that. Now today I am feeling little relaxed.

Here i wanted to say that I am not a very perfect mother. I feel so guilty that i presented myself here as a very perfect mother. I miss so many things, became very absentminded and forgetful. My husband is very supportive but sometimes he gets irritated if i miss something very important or late to the appointments. I hate myself when i forget important things and learning to organize myself and plan ahead. Sometimes it happens but sometimes i will miss:( But somehow managing. To my Boy, yes! taking care of Him is my full time job. I am doing as much as i could.

Now in these days my Boy is improving a lot in communication like wants to really verbalize and when he is on 1:1 he imitates many words. So I am happy about that. Showing interest in watching educational videos. He is little sick with a runny nose. but managing to go to school. In school also his teacher said he is very vocal these days.

9. Swethasri

This week went well! Taking some videos of my Boy imitating alphabets and numbers. When i put that back to him, he was smiling and he felt so confident. So trying to make some more videos of him working on reading words and solving puzzles. Hope he is learning something. I found a website called Do2learn which has lot of picture cards for all topics like academics, social skill, behavior management,.... This is definitely useful for non-verbal kids to reduce the frustration in communication. Saw this couple of days back so planning to make communication book in different topic.

I wanted to share my Boy's favorite music. He loves most of the songs from sacred chants album, Abirami Andhadi by seerghazhi Govindarajan, Soundarya Lahari, Hayagrivar Stothram, .. to say a few in devotional songs. coming to english songs and rhymes, he loves all series of Infobells DVDs, Super Simple songs, Laurie Berkner songs,Baby little bum, ...selected hindi, tamil and kannada movie songs, .

TV shows, he likes to watch PBS kids but he watches only the commercials and also the title songs but not the cartoon shows. Now in these days he started liking the coach hooper and my Boy imitates whatever action the coach hooper is doing which is good for him.

sindmani and vsharma like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Swetha,
    It being autism awareness month, I wanted to write to you. Today, everyone at my son's therapy place wore a special autism awareness t-shirt. Today is Autism awareness day apparently. This entire month, we are going to be bombarded with things. Sifting through all this information and finding the right from junk does take patience.
    I made a new friend this week. She met us over the weekend. She has an older kid with autism. She made a difference by just meeting us and seeing our son and helping us understand a lot of stuff. She was introduced to me by a friend. I feel blessed to have friends who care.

Regards,
    L

Swethasri likes this.