1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Shweta, I havent forgotten about the bread recipe. I am waiting for my sister to send it to me; she is taking unusually long. I will remind her again.

1 person likes this.
  2. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

Swethasri

Hats off swethasri for your patience.You 're the best mom [​IMG]: your son is very lucky to have you. Thanks for sharing your story,I am sure many will take inspiration from you.

2 people like this.
  3. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Dear Swethasri,
    So touching to read your post. I'm sure many women will feel better, stronger after reading your post about your son and your caring ways.

2 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Swetha and Harshu,
    Hugs to both of you. My DS is hyper active. I have a tough time managing him. I keep telling DH my shoulder is breaking by the end of the day and I can never rest my injury because he is constantly running. Now I realise I'm lucky his motor skills are up to par. I'll never ever complain of his hyper activity again. I didn't think about babies like yours. I can't think of PT on top of all the others we are dealing with. Hang in there, it will get better.

Swetha - self funded insurance too. I fought tooth and nail for ABA cover but that didn't work out. DH is in an exec position. I told him he has to get his employer to buy the autism rider - I don't want another parent going through this. I'm pushing him to push his employer. It maybe too late for us but the next person should get the cover. He is trying for it. I'm talking to autism speaks reps. They will go meet HR and help out. I hope in the next two years, his employer covers it for others.
    btw, this book is great for working with ASD kids. Helped me a lot before we started therapy and parent training -
    An Early Start for Your Child with Autism: Using Everyday Activities to Help Kids Connect, Communicate, and Learn:Amazon:Books
    I would suggest you follow tips in this book. It worked wonders for my son.

We are having spring break week here. I picked this week to potty train DS. Day 3 in effect. He is staying dry and peeing in the potty but not yet initiating. I'm sure that will take time, although his therapist expects him to walk in to the loo, take his pants off and pee. Every time the set a target for him, I feel it is too much. I can't even imagine a regular 3yo boy doing all that by himself. Apparently kids with ASD do things differently and will be this way. Let's see where we go. I'm happy he's going to the potty when we take him. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Everybody is good? We had couple of appointments for my Boy yesterday and day before for PT and OT evaluation and detailed Autism Evaluation. My Boy did very well and next week is the results and the recommendations. Once I get those planning to keep those recommendations to bargain with the school.

Wanted to share my Boy's daily living skills. brushing, completely he is dependent on me i have to brush his teeth, gargling, spitting everything he needs my help. he still don't spit after brushing! i have to give him a shower and wipe him with his very favorite towel with hood. He can wear his underwear and pant but don't know front and back. Don't know to put on his buttons and zip in pants so i have all kinds of pants for him. I have to help him put his shirt on and button it. Eating, he uses spoon perfectly and sometimes fork but not very much. he eats by himself if it is dry and breakfast items like chappathi, idly, dosai, suji upma, vegetable rice but if it sambar rice, curd rice he wants me to feed him because he don't like if it sticks all over his mouth.Bathroom, he goes to bathroom for pee or poop but does know to wipe if its a poop i think i spoke about it in my previous post so don't want to bore you all:). He is able put on his socks but again doesn't know front and back.If it is Velcro shoe, he can wear on his own but if its a lace shoe he needs my help.putting on his monkey cap and jacket zipping he need my help. He wants me to be with him till he sleeps in the night otherwise he take very long time to sleep on his own. Goodnight!!

I am so happy that many moms and ladies loves my thread.Thanks.

5 people like this.
  6. Swethasri

Way to go with potty Laks All the best! Thanks for the book.

1 person likes this.
  7. kanvitha

kanvitha Senior IL'ite

may god bless you and your child with lots of happiness...your the best and great mom...keep going god will definitely help you have hope on him

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shweta,
    Have you tried one of those battery operated or electric tooth brushes for your DS? I'm wanting to try one for mine but am worried that it'll scare him.

Do let me know what your thoughts are on this!

L

9. Swethasri

I tried that very long time back but he was scared to use it, i want to try that again. first i want to show mine touching it in his palm, hand, cheek,... if he is happy and fine then i am thinking to buy one. He don't have any favorite cartoon characters like superman or spiderman.... if he have one then its it will be encouraging but thats not the case for my Boy.

You could try all those things try buying favorite cartoon character in the brush,if your child understand you can develop a story on that, try to show yours and see how he reacts and then you can decide. You can show how you are brushing with yours and explain him nothing hurts.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  10. Swethasri

Hmmm... my Boy had a very rough Friday night. We took him to the YMCA. Both the kids enjoyed a lot and we came home we had our dinner. Normally he eats a good dinner but he pushed me away the dinner and I just left it. He was start feeling very bad showing some vomiting kind of face expression and he want me to left him and I was holding him and gently gave a massage to his belly. That's it, after 10 mins he started vomiting. But in a way its good that he vomits so he cleared his bad belly. next day he was feeling better I gave him cream of rice the whole day. Sunday he was on his routine. Its been more than a year he had this problem. Anyway he is doing good now and happily went to school. Otherwise everything is going good. We had a evaluation for Autism and have appointment this week for the results. And also I am waiting for the draft IEP from the school after our team meeting.

1 person likes this.