1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Kid Is Not Good At Classical Dance:(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Dec 17, 2018.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Does she have friends in dance class ?
    Do you attend programs regularly ?
    Is it possible for you to practice with her ?
    Do you want to try different type of dance like Ballet or hip-hop ?

anika987 and sindmani like this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Actually I don’t mind ballet and am
    Going to start the class for her but since am a classical dancer,a slight guilt that I am making them learn a different art plus my relatives keep on whining about
    How am not Making an effort to make her a classical dancer coz apparently since am quite Good,my girl should be naturally good too.:(

Also they compare my girl
    With her cousin who is doing well at classical and it is quite annoying.

When I was a kid I was constantly compared by my relatives with my cousins in every aspect and now same happening to my kid..

Am like “here we go again!!”:eek:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  3. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Why not let her pursue something else she might be interested in? I understand your thoughts from mother's point of view, but if she gets to do what she is interested in, she would put much more efforts there. I remember I always wanted to do classical singing and my parents enrolled me in dancing. I did it for few years and left it once I lost interest in it. Now when I watch young kids sing or any singing shows, I feel sad like I wasted my childhood time and didn't work on things I was really interested in.

sheztheone and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Oh don’t worry dear.Actually music teachers take classes for adults too.Many of my friends do that:)

Maybe it’s time for you to pursue your passion:)

5. mangaii

Are you planning to make her competitive dancer ? If it is for recreation purpose don’t understand why she has to be good or better than cousin to continue . Looks like you value others opinion more . Always you will find someone who will be better than your child how many more are you going to quit . You need to give at least incubation time period for any activity before quitting . Did you take her to love performance ?

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Honestly,I have no great ambitions and want to
    Go with the flow..if one has passion, the hardwork and determination will come.

Only aim as of now is for her to “like” dancing.She says she keeps getting tired
    For classical dance.She can dance but getting tired.

I don’t compare my kid with that cousin.They do.Constantly
    Comparing and saying how she is better and am not working hard enough.

I am a classical dancer and it makes me quite sad when my child does
    Not have the same interest.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have a question though..

She went for classical
    Dance for 3 months.

Now am going to try ballet and let’s see how it goes.

Sometimes though many parents have told me their kid started with great interest and abruptly quit dancing in two years be it anything.How true is that?

8. mangaii

Getting tired is not equal to not interested. Your inference is wrong based on information provided. Tiredness may be due to various reasons. Is she faking tiredness or she is really tired ?

This comment is about you not about your daughter's skill

I don't understand why you need to compare your interest and your daughter's interest.

3 months is too short to make decision for a activity .
    Good you are considering other options.

I have not heard such things but at the end of 2 years parents and kids have spent enough time to make right decision.

You never answered my previous questions .

Have you ever taken her to live performance ? What is good dancer according to you ? I think the other thing to keep in mind is in India the classes are 3-4 days/week while in US it is generally once a week so the performance and learning curve is different. Please keep that in mind before making the decision.

If you have done Arangetram is it possible to get pictures and videos from India . If you have any recorded performances you should show that to your kid. You seem to be looking for validation from this forum for your decision. Nobody can take right decision for you. Personally I find all your reasons to be not valid to quit an activity. Good luck on making the right decision.

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The teacher was actually irked that my daughter isn’t focusing and indirectly told maybe I should quit:(

For me I love shobana as a dancer,vineeth,Padma Subramaniam..

We are in the USA..

I just spoke to my DD just now...
    She says “ mom.. am doing it for you..”,

Asked her what she loves..
    She said “Art”..
    She is very good and passionate about drawing..maybe should try that.

10. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Doesn’t training your child for classical dance involve time, energy and money ? Why not make it worth your while and train her in something she enjoys and decently good at?
    I attend classical dance performances of friends kids. There are some that have the right body language and posture required for Indian classical dance and others that clearly don’t. Practicing can only help to a point.

sheztheone, sindmani and anika987 like this.