1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Intro To Geeta.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jul 6, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

MY INTRODUCTION TO GEETA

I belong to a religious minded family as my parents believed in God and Goddesses. Every year ‘Durga’ (Goddess of Power) was worshipped on Asthami, the 8th day of navaratras, during October-November. They were not ritualistic but as tradition would have it almost all festivals were celebrated with sincerity. There were of course no regular visits to temples or daily recitation of Ramayana or Geeta.Brought up under such environment, doing all these rituals came naturally to us as grownups.

My official trip to Tamilnadu (then Madras) became a turning point in my life if I may say so. I was sent to Trichy to attend to some official work with BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited). If I remember correctly I reached Madras (now Chennai) by GT express from Delhi. Next I took train to Trichy and stayed there for two days and took a train back to Madras in the afternoon. We were allowed to travel in Second Class (called Intermediate- as it was between Third class and First Class). The Seating arrangement was like two long benches facing each other as far as I can remember now.

There were two other gentlemen sitting on the opposite bench. One of them was a white person may be from USA or UK and the other seemed to be a South Indian. They were talking in English. We had those customary hi hellos and then I started leafing through the pulp fiction I had purchased from the Wheelers book stall on the platform. I think it was by Parry Masson. I was no hurry to read this and so tried to keep myself busy watching those paddy fields. I then overheard the white reciting some verses in chaste Sanskrit. My curiosity got wings and I tuned my ears to what they were discussing, still keeping my face towards the paddy fields. Quite obviously they were talking about the message of Geeta. I had heard about this book but never had the opportunity to own it and worst to read it.

I had Sanskrit as a third language in my High School but my knowledge of the language was just enough to pass the exams. then. I was pleasantly surprised the way both of them were reciting the Sanskrit verses, interpretating them and exchanging notes.

I felt so small. Born in a Brahmin family belonging to the lands of Himalayas also called ‘Tapo Bhumi’, a land of saints and sages, I had no knowledge of the God’s language and worse still no idea about our own scriptures. And here was a foreigner, a white Christian (most probably), who was reciting the Sanskrit verses as if it was his mother tongue. Here was a foreigner interpretating Geeta as if he was a devote Hindu scholar.

The first thing that I did after reaching Delhi was to buy two copies of Geeta one with Hindi and other with English translation. I finished the Hindi version in one night and the English version the second night but could not make any head and tail of it. I persisted with my efforts, attended a few talks on the subject, read more interpretations. Even after some 40 years of efforts I cannot claim I have understood even one percent of it. Today I have Ramcharitmanas, Valmiki Ramayana, Mahabharatha, Bhagwat and many other such scriptures. A few pages from Geeta and Manas form part of my daily worshiping ritual.

Thank you Mr. White, if I may call you by that name!!!!!

2. Cielo

Cielo Bronze IL'ite

O my God! I could exactly relate to your - "I was pleasantly surprised the way both of them were reciting the Sanskrit verses, interpreting them and exchanging notes." expression --- (thousand likes:worship2:)

I had a similar experience on a flight when I saw an European student in his early 20s listen to Bhagavad Gita live session recordings of Swami Tadatmananda (a disciple of Swami Sivananda) on the flight. This Swami Tadatmananda, I, later learned from my fellow passenger was an European American who spent years with his Guru Shivananda in India and took to sainthood after being an Automobile Engineer. He now runs an Ashram and spreads his Hinduism teachings in New Jersey.

That was an eye opener for me, a wanderer and a free spirit in my mid 20s, who had the notion that Bhagavad Gita or Bible was only for old age. I borrowed some of the recordings and Man! that was a strong blow on my head - it was in a language that was so practical (as opposed to philosophical and religious) that everyone could relate to in our daily lives. It helped changed my initial take/perspective on a lot of things that I could separate my thoughts before Gita and after Gita in life. Later, I also had a chance to work with the team to convert the recordings to a mobile app and the magic that technology could do.

Here's the link to recordings for you to experience my bliss - I bet you won't stop here!:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Rihana, mbharani and Naari like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, welcome to ILs! Nice write up, I must say! Yes, it's possible the white man was an ISKCON follower.. I have seen quite a few iskcon western (white) followers of Geeta & Krishna, who think geeta has truths & answers to many unanswered questions in their minds.. I used to visit ISKCON temple in Mumbai occasionally & would see many such ppl. And I agree, geeta is pretty deep, to read it and it's interpretations is one thing & to actually understand its implications in our life everyday is another.. and I guess the latter is the most challenging exercise as even a lifetime may be short for that !

Cielo likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hari,
    Nice write up.
    Sometimes we meet someone by accident and get influenced a lot.
    Sanskrit....whether we understand or not it has a sort of positive vibrations. Beautiful language. May be that is the reason why we learn some slokas though we do not understand it and feel good when we recite them.
    Bhagavadgita......I like Swami Ranganadhananda' s commentary compiled in three volumes. I also do not understand much of it but 3rd Chapter Karma yoga is explained very well in his commentary.
    Syamala

5. HariLakhera

Syamala,
    Thanks. Karma yoga with dispassion is rather difficult. Bhakti yoga seems to be easy. In my humble opinion the essence of Geeta lies in understanding self and act accordingly.

6. HariLakhera

[QUOTE="Cielo,
    I had a similar experience on a flight when I saw an European student in his early 20s listen to Bhagavad Gita live session recordings of Swami Tadatmananda (a disciple of Swami Sivananda) on the flight. This Swami Tadatmananda, I, later learned from my fellow passenger was an European American who spent years with his Guru Shivananda in India and took to sainthood after being an Automobile Engineer. He now runs an Ashram and spreads his Hinduism teachings in New Jersey.

Here's the link to recordings for you to experience my bliss - I bet you won't stop here!:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

7. HariLakhera

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I know one Swami Sivananda who founded Divne Life Society at Rishikesh. I am a member there. I have read some of his books and commentaries.
    Thanks for sparing your time.

8. HariLakhera

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera
    According to me the following is the essence of Gita.
    The knowledge that body is perishable and Soul is imperishable.
    Selfless performance of one's duty by Working to the best of one’s abilities without becoming attached to the fruits of work, and Control of the mind, senses, selfish desires and ego.
    A karma yogi who does all work as an offering to the Lord, abandoning selfish attachment to the results, remains untouched by karmic reaction or a sin as a lotus leaf never gets wet by water.

PS

umaakumar and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@HariLakhera,

Thank you for sharing how you got initiated to reading and reciting Gita. I consider Prasthana Treya consisting of 1) Upanishad, 2) Brahma Sutras and 3) Bhagavad Gita as a) Observations, b) Modeling and c) Application. It is interesting we are discussing this closer to Guru Purnima, the day that is very special for Veda Vyasa.

In mathematical terms, if Upanishad is a theorem, Brahma Sutra is about proving the theorem and Gita is applying the theorem to solving a mathematical problem.

Viswa