1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My In-laws Didn't Bought Me Any Cloths Before Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by nehakapil78, Dec 3, 2016.

1. nehakapil78

nehakapil78 New IL'ite

Hi

In Punjabi tradition, In-Laws purchase suits n sarees for the girl BEFORE WEDDING as it is a shagun. But my in-laws didn't bought any cloths for me..they didn't wanted to purchase even lehenga for me. but anyhow, after 3-4 times, when i talked abt it indirectly to my fiance, he bought me lehenga. but suits n sarees, they didnt bought. this is not the way. i am feeling depressed. this is very wrong. in the very beginning of our roka, her mom asked abt cloth stuff. after tht, she never said anythng abt it. n she stays in jaipur n recently, visit delhi, at our plc, but didnt uttered a word abt it. even i have said abt suits 3-4 times to my fiance in indirect and direct manner. he says mom is purchasing ..she ll purchase according to her..i have no idea abt it..n the suit which they gave me in roka is the worst daily wear cotton suit i have ever seen in my life

2. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Seriously??:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    When u have seen better suits in your life( rather than the cheap one given by your ils), why bother your in-laws for sarees/suits?
    Y don't you go buy them for yourself
    And in which culture and tradition is a gift mocked upon and treated cheap
    Grow up!!!

3. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Look girl, set your priorities right. Put forth your demands clearly. You won't be able to adjust in future if they don't meet your expectations and you keep on bickering about it. Either have a straight talk and tell them what all you expect or call it off. Don't keep bickering about each and everything. Today it's salwars, tomorrow it will be jewellery and after that something else. Unless you set things straight and be clear now, no point in going ahead for both of you and your clans.

best wishes

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Buy clothes of your choice yourself.
    Don't give clothes to them also.Let them buy their clothes according to their choice.
    Use this opportunity to stop this traditional 'lena dena'.

Tell the guy....let us all buy our own things....

Rise, beingloved, coolgal123 and 5 others like this.
  5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

It is not about "lena dena", if they are so miserly, they won't be any better later. Better to call it off in the beginning rather than later. If they don't even feel like spending on clothes, they will crib later for everything. And this "yours is yours, mine is mine" thing will turn frustrating later. And if OP doesn't want to do that, then better not complain.

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

nm.......

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Call off the wedding.
    Last time I advised the same when a guy was cribing about "no dowry", "no tradition of pleasing the groom's family" by the bride's side.
    Better you guys stick to this culture and accept the consequences after marriage.

sbonigala likes this.
  8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

If your in-laws are financially not so good or not having good taste in clothes, then you should let it go....if they are financially well and wear good clothes themselves, then beware, they are cheap people, who are presenting cheap clothes for the bride of their son.
    If this issue matters for you so much , then I second @yellowmango, buy clothes of your own choice and let them buy theirs.

NeetaR, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hmm..so its ok for grooms parents to insist on gifts "just so they know they are not dealing with cheap people" OR is it that this is a brides prerogative vonly?
    I thought that we were all going 65 mph on "No gifts....no dowry...bride and groom take care of their own wedding expenses" freeway....may be not !

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Noo. . . we want groom's family to gift us expensive cloths and jewelry as per the custom. Else we would label them as cheap, money minded people.

But, we don't wanna entertain dowry or any demands from the groom's side. That culture is gone.
    If they insist on that culture, we would call them money minded, and cheap people. For that matter, we can keep them behind the bars, you know!

Sparkle, dnormx01 and justanothergirl like this.