My hero kapildev

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sudhakrishna, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

Every body in their childhood has one or many heros.I have one Mr.kapil dev:thumbsupI don't know what fasinated me i am a great fan of him.Only when i was in 5th standard(around 80's) we bought colour t.v.I don't know any thing about cricket.Just i watch my brothers are watching.My elder brother would write balls left and runs remaining with chalk on the floor. Every time any change is there he would rub and write new stats.My another brother will say "don't worry kapil is there. Still we have chance".This he will say if india batted or fielded.I take his word because he really used to play cricket.kapil's mannarisms and his run up attaracted me. As a sincere fan i started reading about him. My life ambition was to meet him and talk to him.So l learnt hindi for him.When i felt i am confident of speaking in hindi with him i stop going to classes.
    I started collecting his photos and news about him.Some times i paid heavily to get the photos and news. some times i waited for months for a particular photo. one old news paper mart was there near my house who used to sell old sports star for 2 or 4 rs. he used to keep aside magazines for me which contain kapil's photos, interview . if i don't have money he will collect it whenever i got the money but never refuses to give the book.
    When i moved to new school for 6th a small group is formed with whom we will share photos. Each one of my friend will give kapil's photos to me.I used to celebrate jan 6 in a grand manner as it is kapil's birthday.
    Cricketers used to stay at a particular hotlel in chennai. One day we collected money and called to that hotel and expressed our wish to talk to kapil from a public booth. Nearly we spend 50rs(huge amount at that time and we won't get pocket money that easily).The hotel wala changed his voice and spoke to us as if he was kapil.Knowing we are cheated the telephone operator said we can't speak easily to kapil and don't waste money any more.
    When kapil hit century or take more wickets next morning every one will greet me as if i have done the thing.If he scores a duck or flop bowling they will console me.
    one of my friend gave me a big kapil poster to me to end our fighting.i still have it in my mothers place.
    When i was in 9th standard i started preparing one album on him. It has almost 100 pages with full of colour photos .All his life time achievement statistics and colour photos i have stickedin it .It took nearly 1 year for me to complete the work. I put more efforts for this than preparing for public exam.My friends appreciated my work and every day one person will take to their home to read.I request them to take extreme care as it contains photos and news about a very important person.
    His 432 wicket feat is a greatest enjoyment in my life. Doordarshan was telecasting one special program on him on that evening.I rushed home from school and i recorded entire thing in the audio cassette as i don't have any video recording mode at that time.
    When kapil retired from cricket i lost interest in watching cricket.I strongly believe he is a super hero as he played for our country without selfishness.Even now when read any news or see his photo i just lost in the past and think about the days i was crazy about him.

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sudha

Nice write up about kapil explaining your passion towards him. I also like kapil very much because he played the game for the sake of game and not for his personal glory. He is really a gengleman of cricket.

andal

3. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh.
    Same pinch Sudha
    Am a crazy fan of Kapil dev.Still having the old Sports star edition,which carries his crowny pics.
    Had a chance to meet him In M.A.Chidambaram stadum when India Vs W.Indies test match took place.
    I stood soooo close to him and got a autograph ....

Definitly theres no other legend than our KAPIL and the one and only Master who paid his life to real cricket.
    Yes.I too stopped watching this bookie's game all for once.
    Now its my son who updates the news for me.And he surprises every time when i speak about kapil.

Thanks for giving me a chance to kindle my memories of the great Sportsman.

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Me too, me too :hiya. I am a huge fan of Kapil Dev.

Initially I too knew nothing about the game. But my parents developed a liking for him during the 1983 world cup triumph it seems.( I wish I was older by that time to know about the game :) that time ). I grew up with the sounds of the radio running commentaries and then the Doordarshan telecast of the matches.

As I understood the game, Kapil was the best cricketer for me. I too collected a lots of news clippings and pictures, posters of his. Any sports mag edition with even a column news of his, had to be bought by me .
    I also bought his first book, "By Gods Decree" and don't know how many times I must have read it in my school days :crazy. I later read "Cricket, My Style" too.

Oh I can go on and on. Maybe I will come back again in this thread to share more :-D

Kapil da jawab nahin :biggrin2:

5. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

hi nice to see real kapil fans. Thanks for you comments. definitely we will talk more about him

6. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

hi thanks for your comments. definitely kapil is the supreme star.take care

7. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

hi andal,nice to have touch with kapil fans. take care

8. swarna1388

swarna1388 Silver IL'ite

9. wisdomjobs

wisdomjobs New IL'ite

Me toooooooooo, iam also the huge fan of Kapil Dev. I like to watch his videos particularly the way he Bowls.

10. shambu

shambu Silver IL'ite

include myself too in the list...a die hard fan of Kapil Dev.... men may come & men may go... but there is only one gentleman in cricket... he has given new dimension to indian cricket...plenty of memories from my childhood...to cherish...:thumbsup...