1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My Grandma's de-worming therapy

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by leelal, Nov 18, 2008.

1. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

In our joint family, we were five children aged 3 to 14. About 2 decades ago, we were not exposed to so much junk/fashion foods that are available today. We were in Kerala just having our routine home made food and used to eat the fresh seasonal fruits like Mango, goa, cashew fruit, Citrus fruits, Tamarind, Athi, ramar fruit and jack fruits. available in our garden. We also used to play a lot of field games in our courtyard.

Even with this life-style, our grandma used to ensure her de-worming project was executed on us once in a a quarter like indian-inc's quarterly financial reports.

Grandma prepared herself for this project by declaring a week before the scheduled saturday's date to us as the de-worming day and she also instructed our mum to prepare Idli batter for that saturday. She would stock couple of bottles of "Balaamrutham" from Aryavaidyasala , 5 lemons and little ginger for the D-Day through her agents.

On the D-Day, we were woke up by our mum at 4.30 a.m and asked to drink the hot black-coffee specially prepared with extra sugar
    and a spoon of Bala-Amrutham. While drinking the coffeee, Our face used to be in AshtaKonam :))) because of the strange taste of the medicine. In the initial days, we were much excited about a bed coffee surprise. Once we were knowledgable, we used to stay from it. But no channel of escape as we were forced to have it.:hide:

Then the cycle starts in 30 mins. 5 of us keep visiting the toilet which was 250 metres away from the house with a bucket full of water. Moreover, we had to draw water from the well if the drum was empty. From early morning 5 to 9 a.m, we would have shuttled atleast 10 times. There used to be couple of fights among us in the urgency in occupying the toilet and also drawing water. The scene was similar to Senthil-Goundar Mani joke in one of the movies.:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

By 9 a.m, we would have been tired to our core and our stomach was similar to a flat tyre with no air. Our mum would offer us couple of idlis with sugar ( Strictly no chutneys or podis on this day).
    The battle would continue till 12 noon with less frequency now. After 12.00, we all would be given a hotwater shower and then a lunch with Curd Rice. Curd
    Rice used to be like Devamrutham for us as we were hungry and tired. Whole afternoon, we used to have a sound sleep for 3-4 hours.
    By this time, Grandma would have prepared a concentrated Ginger-Lime juice and let it to settle. Ginger-Lime would be served in the evening as a routine to end the long fast and also to compensate the "Balaamrutham" taste that was still on our tastebuds.

From next day onwards, we used to feel very light,fresh, more cheerful and active in our activities as our system has been cleansed very well.
    We were like "Thank God, D-Day is over" :rotfl:rotfl:rotfland this didn't last long as the next D-Day was after 3 months.
    This process continued till we were 20 years old and subsequently as we were mature enough to handle ourselves about our diet, we were not sticking to "Balaamrutham" any longer. But as per Dr's prescription, we take "albentoze" once in 6 months which doesn't result in loose motion, but meets the purpose.
    As children, we never realized the importance of this "de-worming" activity. But now, we understand what our grandma followed was a great thing to protect us :thumbsup from child diseases and developing immunity in our system.

Even now we cannot control Big LaughBig Laughon this topic whenever we get together...

Admin Note: Here are relevant links on deworming

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/73104-deworming-without-medication.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...eworming-children-mix-banana-lemon-print.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/159411-i-have-taken-deworming-medicine.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    7 people like this.

2. shobhithak

shobhithak New IL'ite

Hi,

I too even cherish my childhood days where my Dad used to stage the de-worming therapy at home. :thumbsup Good post!

Cheers,
    Shobhi

1 person likes this.
  3. AlwaysInAHurry

AlwaysInAHurry New IL'ite

This story surely brings back memories. My brother and I grew up with my grand parents and so did my 5 cousins. On top of that we had 2 more boys staying in my grandparent’s house for studies as their poor parents could not afford to send them to school. My parents and my cousin's parents were working all over the country and thought that we would be in good hands since my grand father was a retired headmaster and had 11 children of his own and everybody turned out to be successful.
    So, every 3 to 4 months, my grandmother used to give us castor oil to cleanse our system. Now I do not remember what else was used in the concoction but I remember lining up at the toilet along with other kids...
    Oh... good old days....

Padma.

1 person likes this.
  4. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Can any one of you pls give me some suggstions as to how todewor ourselves and our kids here in US with the things available here. i think we will not be getting anything readymade here in the stores, so pls suggest some ways how to do that with the things available at home?
    Priya

1 person likes this.
  5. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Priya,

These days, the process is being modernised with a consumption of a pill and do not have to queue up for the rest room.

In India, we get it as Albentoz. Once in 6 months, adults can take 1 tablet in the night. For kids, drs suggest 0.5 tablet. The person can feel very normal and will not notice any sideeffects.

Pls consult with your local physician before proceeding.

1 person likes this.
  6. kashvya

kashvya Silver IL'ite

Thank you leelal for letting me know about Albentoz

1 person likes this.
  7. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hi leelal,
    Thanks for ur help. but i dont know if i can use it here or is it available here. any home made medicine for this?

has anyone in US tried deworming for ur kids. pls help.
    Priya

1 person likes this.
  8. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

U were absolutely lucky to have had such good care from ur Grandma.
    Just look at the routine & the diet which followed the de-worming process.
    The curd rice would be light on the stomach & also the ginger-lime concoction.Plz try not to lose this tradition.

1 person likes this.
  9. sathurekha

sathurekha New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

As you mentioned again asking for some home remedy as we dont know its available in US. Even I am in California, Los angeles. Please let me know if you got some solution to this. or did u try any US medicine for this. For ur info my Daughter is 4 yrs old.

Regards,
    Sathurekha

1 person likes this.
  10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing. Those days can never be re-lived again. No matter how hard we try. Medicines these days are effective, but we do miss all the fun that used to come with granny's remedies