1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Tug With The Kozhakattai Maavu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

My first tug with the kozhakattai mavu:

The first year after my marriage, my mother in law left for kerala after teaching me some basic of their cooking as they were from palghat and I hailed from tanjore.Their food was lined up with a lot of coconut and ours more pulses,And spicy.

Ganesha chathurthi was around and I had to make the kozhakattais, now my mother shanthi who was of Bengali origin told me she would send the rice powder as we never had any rice powdering machine in kolkata the way we have in most locality in the south. I also agreed, it would make my work a lot easier. Came the powder and as usual I kept the hot water and put this powder inside and started mixing but nothing was mixing it was all coming apart, not knowing what to do, I was at a loss, so just made some payasam and did the neyivedyam. My father in law was with me poor man had to put up with this incompetency of a new bride. In the evening my mother sent me the kozhakattais that she had done with the same rice powder, now my father in law said don’t you learn properly, whatever be the method look she has done it, I had no answer there..

Later I came to know she has fried the rice powder like we do for karadayan nombu and then with some hot water has made a dough for the kozhakattai top, now my friends this is not right, later after a few months my mother in law arrived and they had the habit of making kozhakattai every first Monday, so I pounded the rice for her, and sieved it, then I saw her, mixing it with water and making it like a liquid dosa batter, and then a little water in the kadai with a spoon of coconut oil and some salt, once it boiled over she poured this batter and mixed it well with the gas in medium, and finished a soft dough topping, now I am telling you this here is because I want to help those who are new and doing this for the first time and for those whose rice powder gets clumped while making the dough, I found this a better option as no lumps will form, and the coconut oil gives a flavor, the typical Malayalam aroma. regards sunkan

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,

It was nice reading your experience with the Kozhukattai Maavu.

Thanks for the batter idea. I will follow it with Nalla Ennai, (Gingely Oil) as people in my house dont like coconut oil.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

ALL THE BEST RAJMI..SUNKAN

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

Asusual......:2thumbsup: .

On the lighter side of it.....

Who won the war....After all this.... Was it tasty ......

Veda

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

of course its me now, hahah what a question to ask veda, in fact u should had come out with what shanthi did, of course with her permission:wink: sunkan

6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I like kozhukattai both Sweet & Salt a lot.... My mom used to do great.....

Comeon ....... Atleast now i am getting something by that name...... You want to stop that also or what..... Poor me...

Veda

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sunkan for the wonderful Tips.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sunkan,

I always do the batter style as it is fool proof and thought it was the wrong method..but would always get it correct.... what being in joint family, the amount of flour to be mixed used to be so much.. with fil,mil,hubby and bil all having a sweet tooth .

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi mals,

btw i think u now get modak moulds in mumbai...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Veda,

All mom's are great cooks..even our kids say the same.............:mrgreen: