1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Books Are Out! Seek Your Wishes And Blessings!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

thats nice

Dear Varalotti,
    My husband was also commenting on the resemblence of our names. Actually, I had a very dear friend called Vidhya. I learned so many things from her. She used to call me Varloo and I use that name in her memory. She is no more, she died suddenly, 17 days before my marriage day.
    You are right, friendship is more than blood relationship.
    varloo

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Review of Varalotti's first book " Jannal".

Dear Sridhar,

Please excuse me for taking the liberty of reviewing your book – your first baby, without your permission. Once the baby is born, everybody likes to enjoy the baby’s company & starts one’s own analysis of the features, resemblance etc. of the baby ! What I am doing is jut that !

Sir, please allow me to analyse in detail, everything about the book.

The book has a very attractive cover & I, for a second, wondered whether the face on the cover page was the author’s ! The picture of an eye below, gave me an impression that the author tells us this is how he, as a man views the world !

The paper quality is very good & the print is excellent. The apt tamil word I can think of is “ nerthi” about the “ get up” of the book. The publishers have done a very good job & they deserve to be congratulated. Since I read through it fully, I can definitely say that there is not a single printing mistake at all .

You are an expert in analysing one’s mind, or let me call it human psychology.You have in all humility attributed it to the nature of your profession – I beg to differ here, Sridhar. You have that gift from Saraswathi ( as Pankaja has put it correctly) to read it & more than that, convey in simple, beautiful language.If profession was the reason, every one in your profession should be able to do it !

Next point is personal. Since I am also a native of Madurai, I very much enjoyed the fact that you have given the base as our dear Madurai to some of the stories. It made my reading more enjoyable & the references nostalgic.

Every story conveys a subtle hint as to how better one can evolve as a human being. There is something or other to learn from every story.

I am not reviewing the stories which have already appeared in this forum.

You have the guts to call a spade, a spade . The second story “ore arayil” proves it. With hypocrisy becoming the order of the day, it is good to see Bala admitting the truth. There is a limit up to which a human being can stretch her or his emotions ! But, who likes to accept it ?

“Sundaram Sir” story had the best twist – we put on such a nice garb( image ?) in real life, but very shocking !

“ The answer for 20 yrs question “ is a beautiful & poignant story. If we make unconditional love our language to others, fulfillment enters our lives. There is no denying it, though the general thinking is, it is easier said than done. Once we start practising it, love enters manyfold in our lives & from unexpected quarters !

“Jannal” ofcourse is one of the best. It really brings tears to our eyes – why does the “ humane” in a human being take a backseat in life unreasonably & inexplicably, on some occasions ? The answer perhaps is that human nature is so complex !

“ Mannippu” makes us wonder whether this sort of forgiveness is possible by a human being at all. I am a person who believes in meaningful coincidences in our life & this story reinforces my faith in the same.

Kavi nirathil ori pavi – this is slightly “spinning the yarn “ type!

“Gandhariyin kathal “ is a very practical story. I am a person who thinks on the lines of Sharada – that is perhaps the reason. Love should be shown in reasoning as well, not just in sentimental dialogues. I am totally against the pativratha image which some ladies put on for the sake of the world.

“ Neenga nallavaraa” is very touching. Sridhar, you hit the nail on the head about what is going on in the medical profession now, how it has become a business etc – but it is sad that it needed a man to die for the fact to be realised by Dr.G S !

“Enakke enakka “– the story was average, but it did take me back to my good old College days in our dear Alma mater American College, where I had watched ( as well as, was part of?)such fun ! This chasing has been an eternal pastime in co-ed colleges ! Now, looking back, I think it was a very ego-boosting period for me, as well.

“Thakappan sami” - the gist is, child is the father of man & very well written.
    You have conveyed it beautifully in a nutshell.

“ Masanam “ is one of the best stories – we also mourn for Masanam. Your comment that a layman, rather Tamilian prefers to spend more time in watching a “ fixed” cricketmatch rather than learning a thirukkural is very striking & sadly very true. Your using the word “ malar misai eginan” for Almighty is very interesting & suits the context !

“ Appa manasu “ has a grand finale, most unexpected ! How sad it is that we fail to identify love when it comes to us unidentifiably “ packed” !

“ Pandayathil oru penn “ is also very interesting. Akash who commented about the girl’s looks initially, now accepting her shows that inner beauty does still attract a man when it comes to marrying a girl. This is a heart warming news to the so called “ average looking woman’ !

Karadi is a very touching story, showing the innocent love of a daughter for her father – tears flow down our eyes as well on listening to what Sindhu says.

“ Rayilil vantha mayil “ – I thought an “ encounter “ story was coming in an interesting way – a real sizzler, I looked forward to, ofcourse with great interest, but you cleverly made it fizzle out, thanks to the glory of Indian womanhood !

“Vimanam, bomb, rosogolla “ is absolutely hilarious – I laughed & laughed, all the time the sugar syrup was leaking on board ! It was most enjoyable, Sridhar ! I wonder what prompted this idea in you ?

Govindu is also a very well written story – we always justify our actions to our advantage - when it comes to another person, we cannot accept the same justice.

In all, the book makes very enjoyable reading & there is no monotony at all which speaks of Sridhar’s mastery over expressions & presentation. I strongly recommend this as a “ must read” for all who can read & enjoy Tamil.

Head start Sridhar, God be with you !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Your Birthday Gift To Me!

Dear Chitra,
    It is customary to give a gift to a person who is celebrating her birthday. You have reversed the custom and have given a gift to me.
    I am moved to learn that not only you bought the book within hours after the release but have read one of the books thoroughly and within days have posted a detailed review.
    Even professional reviewers to whom The Hindu and Express send books for review don't read them all. But you have read the book word by word and have posted a good review.
    Director Balachandar used to say that he will be happy only when the viewers appreciate the scene and see it from the same angle as that of a Director. Suppose the Director is not quite happy with a scene but just lets it stay because of time or money constraint. Some reviewer says that was the best scene in that movie. The Director might be amused and surprised but not happy.
    While reading the book and reviewing it you have not done that mistake. It shows your reading has been sincere and your review came from your heart.
    I don't know how I am going to repay the debt of gratitude to you.
    Thanks once again, Chitra, for the prompt reading, the sincere reading and a true review.
    With Affectionate Regards,
    sridhar

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

What speed and what accuracy in analysing!

My Dear Chitra,
    That was amazing...you read all the stories ...what speed , and also reviewd them so well! That was truly awesome....here we are yet to get hold of the books...now you have made it a must read after the wonderful book review you have done. My mind is already wondering at some of the stories:? ...should i read them first or go in the order etc!
    I am sure this is a real surprise for Sridhar, that after 2 days of his book release someone not only bought it but has done a thorough reading and reviewing ......GREAT CHITRA! and THREE CHEERS TO SRIDHAR ALSO FOR GIVING US ALL THIS OPPORTUNITY ! :clap

keep going!

with warm regards,

5. Chitvish

Ofcourse, not just the mandatory three, but more cheers to Sridhar !

Dear Sudha,
    You can talk about the accuracy of my analysis only after you read the books !
    Now if you are likely to get the books shortly, please do not read my review again !
    Read with an open mind, then judge whether our reviews tally - that might be more interesting ! Now that you want to grab the books & read them makes me feel, that I have done my job well. I hope Sridhar is also happy about this. Please Sudha, give him the credit, not me !
    I am literally running between micowave mami & microsoft mami - but most enjoyably, thanks to all of you. I have started reading the second book & sridhar must pray hard to God if he does'nt want me to review it !
    Sridhar, one of the I L ites phoned up today to say that after reading my review, she is arranging to get the books by courier from Chennai ! So what percentage from your royalty, Sir, are you giving me ??? !!!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. varalotti

You Want The Whole Royalty, Take It Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    I called my publisher and read your review to him especially concerning his proof reading and editing part. He liked the word Nerthi and was very pleased.
    Now you can take the whole Royalty, Chitra. No problem.
    I want you to read the second book also and post your review. Eagerly looking forward to it like a student who is anxiously waiting for his examination results.
    affly,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

A Good News!

Dear ILites,
    I now see from the website where my books are hosted, that there will be no shipping charges if the place of delivery is within Tamilnadu. You may please confirm this with the Site Administrator haranprasanna@gmail.com before releasing the order through credit card on the site.
    regards,
    Varalotti

8. varalotti

A New Blurb Has Been Posted!

Dear ILites,
    In the website where my books are available for sale, they have posted a new blurb about the stories in both the books. ILites may please check this blurb before deciding to buy.
    Activate the same link I have given earlier and you can read the blurb in Tamil.
    regards,
    Varalotti

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Picture taken on the occassion of Varalotti's book release

Dear Ladies,

Please find attached the picture taken on the occassion of Varalotti's book release

The book is released by - Mr.S.Raja (Solomon Pappiah's Pattimanram Speaker and he is now acting in Rajnikant's film, Shivaji)

Others seen in the picture are...

Varalotti's Parents(receiving the book)
    Mrs. & Mr. Sridhar (aka Varalotti Rengasamy)
    Varalotti's Father-in-law

Attached Files:

10. Chitvish

Very thoughtful of you, Sridhar !

Dear Sridhar,
    Thankyou very much for sharing your moment of joy & honour, with all of us.
    May this be the beginning of many more books to be released & accolades to be won.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.