1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Blog on my Balancing Act

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by apar_ram, Jan 20, 2009.

1. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

!!Welcome to my space!!
    The Balancing Act Its 5:45am and the alarm goes off and both of us are trying to pretend we are sleeping so the other one switches it off!! But the blaring sound of the alarm finally makes me shut it off. I prod my DH to get up, he says please let me sleep few more minutes. I get off and go wake my Dd who says amma pls 2 more mins. Since its Monday I don't bother to wake up my Ds, he doesn't need to go early to school today. I rush down to make tea and bournvita for my Dd, also trying to get some water boiling to cook the noodles and cut the veggies to get it ready. I rush upstairs to wake up my Dd but she is already in the shower, my Dd though is still snoring peacefully, I remind him that he will miss his train!! in the meantime the smoke alarm starts, so I scurry down to tend to the noodles and finish that up while I start drinking my tea. My Dd in the meantime comes down to get her hair braided. Its already 6;30am, I ask her to finish her milk and breakfast as her bus will be there in the street corner at 6:45am. I drop her and get back and my Dh is still hogging the bathroom! I wake my Ds and ask him to get ready. Pack all 3 of our lunchbox and go get ready for work. My Dh meanwhile wants coffee and son doesn't want the breakfast I made and wants something else. I promise him to make that the next day and cajole him into eating, which doesn't work and have to increase my voice and he grumbles and pushes it down his mouth. I ask him if he remembered to say his slokams and do namaskaram to God? he glares back at me and rushes to the pooja room. Finally we are all ready and rush out to the car. when my son screams he forgot his trumpet and we run back inside. My Dh offers to drop my Ds and I start driving to work.
    The traffic is heavy, I turn to the radio to hear the traffic alert and of course there is a delay. So switch to the wonderful voice of Sanjay Subramanian on the cd which calms me immediately. Before I realize it I am automatically pulling into the parking lot at work. My work day goes on and we receive this [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]email[/COLOR][/COLOR] from the Chief, that the economy is not good and we r not doing good either and we need to reduce our workforce. Hmmm... everyone is chatting about if we will survive. What can we do better to be indispensable etc. I am dejected, call my Dh and he is my cheerleader, asks me to forget about everything and just focus on my work. Its hard to focus, but I chant some slokas and think there is nothing I do or don't thats going to affect the company's decision, I know I am doing my part. So I take a deep breath and get back to work. My yoga class during lunch time relaxes me more and gets me back to my routine.
    My Dd calls me at 3pm from home saying she is back from school. Its almost 4pm and I rush back home to take the kids to paattu class which is another 45 mins drive. I ask my Dd to make me some tea in the microwave and put it in a mug, she is so sweet and packs some snacks also for her brother who we pick up at school and have our [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]chat[/COLOR][/COLOR] about the day on the way. My Dd says amma I have to practice this before we reach so can we talk on the way back. My Ds is happy meddling with the radio in the car and Dd asks please can u shut it off so I can practice. They both start arguing and I have to budge in to shut the radio. My Ds is not too happy. He learns [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]violin[/COLOR][/COLOR] and cant practice in the car so he keeps bugging his sis who is busy practicing. I try to divert him and ask him about his day. Once I drop the kids at their class, I go to the grocery store to get the week's [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]groceries[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    We get back home around 7pm and my Dh is back too and he helps in rolling out the chapattis while I make the sabji and we sit down to eat dinner and both of us clean up the kitchen while the kids finish up their homework. We are tired and lie in bed and watch the news on [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]TV[/COLOR][/COLOR], but in 5 mins time I am asleep, dreaming of what the next day will bring! I hear the alarm again.. is it morning already??

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Wow! You have visualized the daily routine - not of yours but for the entire working lady families.

Excellent. Some times it is single handed some times sharing, some comic moments, some sad & morose moments. You have brought every emotion lovely.

All the best for another typical morning.

Andal

3. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Thanks Andal for your response. Its indeed a daily routine for almost all working women. i am just thankful that i have a flexible work schedule!!!

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Apar ram

I loved reading your very interesting narration... Now ......i am a housewife...but you took me back to my life back ...by one year. Life was as busy as yours.....just running around...and trying to manage everything within the very little time we have.....but....we ALL used to wait for one day very eagerly....SUNDAY...bcos nothing absolutely nothing .... on time....including breakfast, very late lunch , very late dinner...with a new dvd/vcd running on tv ...everything done slowly...enjoying...to save our energy for the next 6 days....

but now sitting at home....all alone after kids and husband go out to school and office....i just wish.....i had a job too....to keep myself busy...........like i was......before.

bye

sunitha

5. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    Thanks for your comment. I keep saying i will quit one day and stay home too, but that day doesnt seem to be coming as we have got into a routine of doing things and I do like it at work as I get appreciated for what I do.!!!
    Aparna

6. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Wow Apar ram!!!!

I think it is typical in every household , when the alarm goes off!!! Thank God the alarm is in my dh's side of th ebed!!!! Your narration was wonderful and ur kids trying to silence each other , oh so typical of what happens in my house. I am a home maker and soemtime sI find it difficult managing time... hats off to all working mothers!!!!

Regards,
    Viji