1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

my first attempt of anarkali

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by varmaswathy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

dear santha,
    thank u somuch.i was also thinking if that red colour may fade or spread into the white part. actually,what is the use of soaking in salt water? i dont know about it.so i have not done it.so i think i would give it for dry washing.
    luv,
    aswathy

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi aswathy ,

With just an year old daughter u've managed to complete it so professionally, what can i say abt y'r work! Hats off :bonk. My entry into sewing was same as y'rs. I learnt it from my mom, but then i learnt it from a proper sewing school. She was a great guru.

Even my instructor was same as y'rs - i'm sure many would be like that ; in the sense that they will teach only the required fundamentals, but whatever comes to y'r imagination has to worked only by u - of course at the cost of dad's / DH's money.

I used to try a few patterns , sew by myself and would ask her for her suggestions or discuss a pattern directly with her. She was so talented that she can amost always answer my queries and be there to help me out. After i completed the course , i used to try many patterns all by myself . I've spoilt many many dresses until i finally learnt to rectify my mistakes and to try some more patterns.One success leads to another and that's how i go on. I can now comfortably sew for others , of course at my own convenience.

Y'r query " i saw another pattern of anarkali in which the lower part comes like joining strips.... " , yes i've seen that , but i've not tried b'cos i didn't fancy it so much. But, is it the piping ? can u give me a photo of the piece that u want .

And my native is chennai, moved to bangalore after marriageand am currently in USA.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

DEAR SABARI,

I will say that it all happens only bcoz of my husband's support.whenever i go for stitching,he used to take care of our daughter,otherwise i used to do it after making her sleep....:)ya....the pattern which i told was actually i saw in a picture.one of my friends told that the method used for stitching this is same as that of underskirts (saari skirt).it is not piping.i am attatching a picture which i got frm net. please have alook.
    thank u...
    luv,

Attached Files:

4. ARIES

ARIES Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Its simple and elegant..

5. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi varmaswathy,

the draft is going to be the same. The variation lies here : after u've cut the lower part [ cloth 1 ] keep it aside . Calculate the no. of strips [ cloth 2 ] and the dimensions required . Cut the required material on another cloth [ cloth 2 ] and sew it on top of the cloth 1. Once u're satisfied completely, u may even cut the excess cloth from cloth 1 and do a zigzag so that the edges don't fray.

6. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI,
    If you soak the coloured cloths in salt water, withour detergent, for a day and then just rinse it the colour gets fixed and does not run, but in your case the red and white make big contrast and so be careful while washing.
    Shanta

7. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabari,

The procedure that you have posted for the kalidar Anarkali is slightly different than the usual way. The usual way of doing this is to first decide the # of panels (kali) that is required. Then the size of each panel is calculated based on the waist size (of the skirt) and the total girth of the base of the skirt. A 1/2" seam allowance is added to each panel. The panels are then cut out of cloths of contrasting colors and then attached to each other to form the skirt. I hope this is clear.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. jayarangan

jayarangan Silver IL'ite

Very nice work.Keep it up...

9. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Very nice work for a first attempt...Looks good swathy..!!

10. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

thank u somuch...