1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My first attempt at Organic Gardening: just a few plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rakhii, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pramila.f

pramila.f Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the procedure to make our own compost at home.. the plants look really healthy.. keep the good work going..

1 person likes this.
  2. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

very nice idea
    happy gardening...

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks kanthiraj.
    That's great diva! Initially my plan was to get a compost bin as well. However I decided against it as it was looking like a sour thumb in the small backyard I have. I had already installed a rain barrel to help collect the rain water to be used in summers. So, too many bins were not going to look good.

Thank you for sharing the process of composting.

and Congratulations!!!! I had no idea....

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Yes, you can buy compost from outside. However, you really dont need to as its only for 5-6 pots max. Another challenge could be the storage. usually compost comes in big bags, after filling 5 pots, you will be left with so much more and you have the problem of storing it.

What my sis does for her pots (which BTW works good) is use kitchen waste for compost. Like fill the pot with fertile soil (you might want to buy good soil from a nursery) but leave a little bit of room at the top for water and for some kitchen waste. I would say, leave about 2 inches.

You can use egg shells, used tea leaves, onion peels, water used to wash rice/dal etc. My sis didnt use any wet-waste like banana peels/mango peels etc as that would attract worms. Just put these in the pots. Dont over crowd them though...my sis does this every alternate day or so.

For capsicum I used a medium pot...if you have more space, you can also grow brinjal or okra. Though 1 plant would not not give enough brinjals/okras to make curry, you can use it to make sambar, chutney etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with this project. Trust me, you will not be disappointed....and keep us posted on how it went. I would love to hear stories about gardens.

When you do plant small plants, stuck in a firm stick a few inches away from the plant. You will need to tie the plant to this stick when the plant grows (for supporting the weight of the plant). You stick it in early so that you dont disturb the roots when the plant grows.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. shellysethi

shellysethi Silver IL'ite

:wow your plants are so healthy...:cool2:

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Thanks santoshini :)
    Thanks Pramila :)
    Thanks Sudha :)
    Thanks Shruthis
    Thanks shellysethi :)

7. Rakhii

sripriya...thank you for all the likes :)

8. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Rakhii-- million likes for the great looking plants and your detailed posts..
    Now i stay in an apartment - can i even attempt to do it in the patio/balcony that we have?
    btw- looks like you live in canada where atleast half the year is winter.. so managed to grow so much in summer only?

1 person likes this.
  9. Rakhii

Thanks so much Priya for the likes :) Really generous of you.

Of course you can grow plants in patio. We cannot grow all through the season like in India but we can grow for a max of 4-6 months.
    I also have a small herb pot. That has the herbs I normally use and super easy to grow like basil, rosemary, chives and cilantro (all in one pot). See the post to Chippagiri. You can use the same tips for small spaces.

1 person likes this.
  10. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii -

I will definitely try planting atleast a small herb garden this summer.. will keep my updates also posted in this thread :)