1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First Abroad Trip

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vidraghu, Feb 2, 2010.

1. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

When my marriage got fixed, my hubby was working in dubai. Since, he was newly joined in the company at that time, he was not able to take leave for many days. When i asked him abt our trip, he told that you need to come alone since he had to go and make arrangements for visa and other formalities.

Also, he told that visa processing would take a month’s time. Then, he left to dubai after a week’s time of our marriage. Till then, stayed in my mom’s place. Eventhough, he had given me instructions beforehand about the formalities to be followed over there, i was little nervous. But still, had the courage of tackling any kind of situation. So, did not take it as a big issue. Also, I like facing challenges.

Regarding travel in flight, i remember going with my parents to b’lore in a domestic airlines when i was in V std i think. The memory abt it is very vague. After that, had my first independent flight journey to a country outside india. I boarded my flight on 30th September 2004. It was a late night flight.I had 3 big luggages(Total: 53 kgs) out of which 2 i had checked-in. One i took it as a hand luggage. With great difficulty, i carried the luggage since it was a big one. But, as such there was no issues regarding the luggage as my father had already informed the officials of my situation. Then, after checking-in, had some time to rest. When the plane took off, I had a great sigh of relief as i thought first half is over and another half is yet to come in dubai airport. It was abt 5 hrs journey. The plane landed late in dubai airport by an hour. My hubby was waiting for me outside in the waiting area.(so sad)…..

When i landed in the airport, and proceeded further taking a look at the airport, i was stuck by the ambience in the airport. It was awesome. The richness and interior decoration made me speechless.The airport was very spacious and need more time to cover all the areas over there.Dubai airport in world level is ranked third. So, u need to think about the grandeur over there… I did not know about the facilities available there in dubai airport. I did not know how to use the phone card and other things. Since my hubby was also new to that country, he too did not know much about those things.Then, i did not know that it was ramzan time when i went there. So, had to wait for toooooo many hours in each counter. Even when the formatlities were few, looooooooong waiting time in the counter made me feel very bad.(Waiting time 2 hrs)

Then, when i came to the baggage section, all luggages were scattered as like one in each corner.Since, i was occupied with many thoughts in my mind till my collection of baggage, i did not have any other thought even about my hubby too. Atlast, after collecting all my luggages only i thought of my hubby who was waiting for many hours outside in the waiting area. Also, i had a tough time carrying all my luggage as a independent person checked for all luggages and other things…

Finally after coming out i saw his condition to be so sad, since i did not give any info to him on my arrival.. after he saw me outside only he felt relieved.. Although i had many offs and ons in the journey, it was a memorable one.. Also, it took 5-6 hrs on the whole in the airport itself.. It was a great journey.. I felt like i have achieved something in life..

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">​
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010

2. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi vidhya

nice to read your travelogue. yeah i have been to Dubai. it is really a fantastic airport. Good to read that you like to face challenges:thumbsup

3. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    Nice to read about your first trip abroad.
    Travel is always a learning experience. Dubai airport is truly awesome and worth exploring !
    I'm sure you'll have many wonderful experiences in Dubai.
    Wish you the best.

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidhya,
    in a nice way you have presented your first abroad trip. You are correct. When we are travelling for the first time we used to get all sorts of fear and anxiety and all. The same thing happened to me when I went to Baharain. I was having only dublicate visa. My son intimated me that he would send his subordinate with the original showing which I can come out. The subordinate handed over to the man in the Airport. He was calling my name ( he is a Frenchman)
    " Padaamani ssssssuubbbbramanian)" I was standing beside him, without knowing he is uttering my name. All the passengers left . Then collecting my courage, I went near the man and asked him to show me the paper. As soon as I saw my name in it I jumped , grabbed it from him and came out. My son who was waiting out side had become restless and seeing me heaved a sigh of relief.:)
    with love
    pad

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

that was very nice Vidya...could picture you and feel your emotions.first trip abroad is indeed special..one has great expectations and i agree with others Dubai aiport is awesome though i love our KL airport..:)
    my first trip was to europe and landed first in ITALY...your post did bring back happy memories.But surprisingly in all these years i have traveled alone only once.and since i am quite absentminded checked my handbag a hundred times.:)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

@radsahana,@tubelight: Thanks for sharing ur lines on my post...
    @Padmini: Nice to know abt ur experience too.Thanks for sharing it...
    @Mindian:Wow!!! It was great to know that my narration brought u back ur old memories... Thanks for sharing!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Always "First" things are memorable agree...Dubai airport looks marvellous..wanting to c it though!!!

8. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Vidya
    Enjoyed reading your travelogue.
    My first trip abroad was also to Dubai.Luckily I had a friend travelling withme .eventhough she was was also travelling for the first time the feeling of being together made the journey enjoyable and relieved tension.We also waited in Dubai airport for 2-3 hours. We didn't get bothered about time
    and were going through all the procedures .Till then my husband waited outside tensed and wondering what was going on.While going through the exit I could read his tension from his face itself.He ask me even now what was you people doing inside airport for he says checking out is fast in Dubai airport.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. ashwiniks79

ashwiniks79 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    I also had the similar experience when i got married and flew to the USA all alone by myself. and that was the very first time that i boarded an air plane in my life. To be honest i was so exited that the fact that i was leaving my parents back in Bangalore didnt occur to me at all....:rotfl

10. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

@ubellah: Thanks for sharing ur lines....
    @meenupanicker: nice to know that ur first trip abroad was also to dubai. Ya, ofcourse u were right.. If we have someone to travel with, we will feel much better..
    @ashwini: Wow, great to know that ur first plane trip was to US that too long hrs journey.. U would have been much more excited!!! i can understand....
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">