1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My FIL is a gold digger

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ProReal, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

PR

Are you both working? Who handles the finances at home?

2. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

GIJoe and AJ
    Thanks.. We both were working and I just left my job last month in hopes of finding another as I was traveling 7 hours daily. By a miracle I got pregnant 2 weeks after my last day at work. The 32 lakhs was just one time. We had close to 90 lakhs of loan because of that man and no, we are from a very middle class family. My SIL on the other hand is married into a very rich family. We both worked and all we are every doing is paying off his loans. About 1.5 years ago I told my parents finally and they got very angry and asked me to save some money which I have. Now that I left my job my husband is insisting that we cant pay monthly installments for all of IL's loans so I have to take my saving. I dont have too much saved but he is saying even if it is 2-3 lakhs we should just break it. I am feeling very upset as my husband is not understanding that we need some saving. Also when my parents went to meet my IL when he was sick my mom told me, they spend money like water. They have 2 physiotherapist coming every day, if auto driver asks 100 they are paying 200, doctor says medicine will cost 1500 and his mother gives 2000 and the nurse never returns the rest of the money. I know that we are responsible for his loans,we will be paying it for another 20 years... (that is with the best financial planning we have done)

My MIL is a bigger cheat... so no point talking to her. When I realized they pawned my jewelsI called up my SIL and told her that this is really unfair. She then called them up and my DH payed to take back the jewels after which I left it in my parents place. I havent talked to them nicely after that incident.. if they ask for me I just say Hi-Hello.

Sad part is I was very close to my MIL.. she used to come to stay with us for one or 2 months every year and she used to only sleep in our bed. Never do any work except cooking and I used to take her shopping every weekend cos I felt that they are dependant parents so we should be nice to them. And to realize that she cheated us as well, I just cant get over it.

My husband says he has told them all the situation we are in.. but I dont know what is wrong. If I tell my husband he understands and he tells me I have spoken to them they are not doing anymore fraud (he actually uses this word) but I dont trust them at all. My DH is very nice and I feel they are taking advantage of us. He doesnt want to go over the board and create a bigger rift because of money and he doesnt mind that I dont talk to them nicely.

He says I understand what they did is wrong.. and you are upset. But I have to talk to them as they are my parents. If we ask IL, he says he did some business.. sometimes he says gambling.. sometimes share market.. and most of the times.. he just says "Dont ask me, I am very upset. I cannot speak about it.. and acts as if he has a heart attack if we bring up the topic"

Anyways, I have told my husband.. this is the last loan we have accepted. If IL has even 1000 ruppees more loan I am filing for divorce. I feel at the end of the day it is my husbands fault.. If we are fooled once, twice or thrice it is the opposite persons smartness but if we are fooled again and again it means we are really fools and I dont want to die married to a fool. I told him this and he claims it is not foolish , it is being Human and I dont agree..

Thanks ladies, I really feel good venting out here. Now, inspite of being pregnant I have to find a job soon as we realised we cannot manage with one person's salary.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I guess what if you suggest that you would handle finances or atleast ask your husband to tell his parents that as you(i.e his wife) are going to handle finances going forward, it would be difficult to send such huge sums of money and to top it, as a baby is on its way you guys also need to arrange things for the baby...

Problem here is..not being able to say NO, becoming emotional/sentimental...

You guys have to start some where and say a firm NO, because your FILs habit has been supported all the while and sudden shutdown of money would create big fights...so, if he asks for money send only half of it...say that you are in some trouble or expecting some money next month or so and would send at that time etc...postpone sending the whole sum of money at one go...take one step at a time and slowly decrease the sums of money that are sent to him...

If your FIL is committing something about money some where, he is confident that you guys would budge in and help...the moment he starts realisign that he cannot commit expenses left n right and that his support system may/may not send money..he too would start controlling himself...

When they visit you guys in US, dont jump in and buy all the extra stuff, convey to them how you are living here...saving up, cutting down on expenses etc...

Actions / Words ...one or the other way you have to get your point across to them..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Thanks Srividya. I think I will do that. I am sure he can use that excuse and tell them I am handling the money. Let me try it this month.

I basically do not want them to come before the kid is here. My DH wants them to come during my 5th month itself and I am still wondering how to escape from the trauma of having those people here. I am sure I will be better of without them even with my nervousness then have them around. :bowdown

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Proreal,

I am so saddened reading your story. There are parents who receive no support from their children and there are such kinds of parents who cheat their own child.

Have you revoked the power of attorney? I hope you have!

As srividya says the problem in your husband's case is the word 'NO'. If he says that i think things would get better. Now your PILs know for sure that their son will repay any amount of loan. What will happen if you people refuse to pay those loans? Why can't they pledge their house they're living in now, sell your MIL's jewellery and repay atleast part of it? are they living in your house?

on your PILs visiting you why not tell your husband that you can instead use that money (travel expenses) to pay off some loan? when you yourself don't need their valuable presence why force it upon you?

take care.

Latha

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I don't know what is going on your husband mind.Why does he want his people even in 5th month.
    You know once you have some guests in house it's lot of responsability on both you and you won't enjoy your pregenency.If it is both you,you don't even have to worry wether to cook food or not.
    But once they land here you need to start worrying from breakfast to dinner.So never agree to call them until baby turn one year.

7. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Yes, we revoked the power of attorney. They are living in the house we built only. They already sold all her jewels and sold some of mine too. When we took back my jewels from the pawn shop we only received some of them, many were not there and MIL says that was it. My mother has everything written down but we dint want to argue over it so just left it at that.

Whenever we say we dont have money they go and ask my SIL. They know my SIL has money and she says "Ok I will give you". Then she calls up my DH and says I will give them but you pay me back when you have. My DH cannot say anything at those times. When I spoke to her I told her please dont pay anymore money. We also earn like you people and it is very embarasing for me to always owe you guys money. She said "OK I will not pay" and has not since then.

God knows where they spend so much money.. as they havent even got me a salwar till now. When they come to visit us also she hasnt even got sweets.

I think I will have a big fight with my husband and make him understand that saying NO does not hurt. If FIL has a heart attack because of that it may be the best thing to happen :hide:

8. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

The best medicine is to cut off all money and take care their basic needs directly, the slow reduction of money will not work it will make them more frustrated and make the situation worse. Starting a family in USA has lot of expenditure so plan for that and definitely don’t get them here during your pregnancy get your mom and dad.

9. ajain35

ajain35 Senior IL'ite

Can't you tell your husband that getting your inlaws here will cost some money and you can't afford it? On one side you have so much loan and on other side you also want to afford all the luxuries.

In another thread you say,
    There is a saying in hindi,
    "jitni chadar ho utne hi paav pehlane chahiye"
    and you 'chadar' is of the size of a hankerchief and the 'paav' are elephant's feet.

Sorry for being a little sarcastic but I just hope that something goes in your head and you take some action. I always hear Americans under a lot of debt but seeing an Indian who has a stable job and income and under so much debt simply makes me question your lifestyle.

If your husband lets you handle you finances then just try to minimize effect of inlaws on your finances. Even if it means being a little harsh. If somebody calls you and says that you have to pay because your FIL borrowed so and so money you say NO that you will not pay.

Try not to give your savings away. You might have to sell the big house in India, but I guess your inlaws wont mind staying in a rented/small house after a loan of almost 1 crore. I am not a financial adviser and so not sure if selling the house is a good decision financially or not but you should see this yourself. And are you sure the house is still under your husband's name or has your FIL sold it to somebody?

You are ready to take divorce from your husband but don't want to talk straight to your inlaws. I am sorry to say this but your husband does not deserve to be the head of household when he can't provide a safe and secure future to his wife and children. This is a situation where the wife should come forward and take control of situation. If your husband is not good in something then isn't marriage about complementing him and cover his weaknesses with your strengths. Your husband is not abusive and he is otherwise nice. You have to be strong now and secure your family if your husband can't.

Tell him to just direct everyone who talks about money to you, be it inlaws, your parents, friends, relatives, anyone. If you talk straight, the worst could happen is your inlaws telling everyone that you are are a bad DIL. With so much loan and thoughts of divorce on your mind do you really care about this?

If your husband does not agree with you on your financial planning, then why don't you hire a financial planner for yourself. If your husband doesn't listen to you atleast he will listen to a 3rd party.

-AJ

10. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Our lifestyle is really below average and way below most of my peers. We only recently upgraded to a new living room set and have always had second hand furniture from goodwill.

Regarding selling the house, so 1 year ago I convinced my husband to sell it and he was fine. He told my IL's and they did their drama act saying "sure, we put you through so much crap and we will sell it immediately". We will go and stay in your other house. I immediately said "No, they have to stay in a rental place in the native city". My DH and I had lots of arguments and I said "Ok, let us first sell it, later we will see where they have to say". Then FIL called and said market is down we are not getting enough price ... so we will check back later. Since we are here and native place is really small we cant find anybody from here. I also tried with my parents contacts but no use. Then 2 months ago I blew up and told my DH what the hell is going on why is it taking 1 year to even find one guy? Its a decent house and we are willing to sell at any price.

So last week (this is why I even posted in IL after all these years) he spoke to my IL's and screamed at them.. and for that MIL says, we want to stay in this house for 2 years but dont know how to tell you. Already so many problems so we were ashamed to talk to you. All tears and drama. 2 people came and asked and we dint tell you... etc. My DH told me and had one more argument over it.

So far all the loans that we already have is with us, we have agreed (actually DH has agreed) to repay.. so now we cant go back. IL says no new loans are there and SIL says they arent doing any fraud anymore.

But based on all your replies, I think i have decided. I am going to take the fone and tell IL's to sell that house. I really dont care what they think abt me and I never did. I wanted to save my marriage as best as I can and value their age... but it is going beyond my head now. Specially after they talked last week and the fact that my DH is behind my savings to return the loan.