1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Experiments With Truth .....about Photography .

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SCSusila, Mar 6, 2018.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Let me begin with a confession. I had never handled a camera till i was 45 years old .

Those days , photography was expensive hobby . The film roll was expensive . There would only be 24 or 36 exposures for one roll . So they would keep a count on the number of clicks .

Developing and printing were costly too. I remember , during the early days of my marriage , when we went on trips, my husband would click only one or two keepsake pictures. Then waited till the whole film roll got used up on other visits , family functions etc. That would take some five or six months . Only then, developing and printing . Then too , they will look through the negatives and print only what looked best . Why waste money printing ordinary captures !

The cameras ( Agfa , Minolta , Kodak etc) were exclusively handled by the men of my family : father , husband and son (only when he was in college ) .

Once or twice , my husband would give the camera to me too. But along with the camera came one thousand instructions .
    “ Dont hold like that “ ,
    “Keep your fingers close “
    “Dont shake ,”
    “Dont keep pressing , just click “
    “ you are pointing too high “
    “ be careful , dont press Flash now”

With so much direction , I would get nervous and dutifully ruin the exposure .
    And earn bad reviews for my deed .
    And become so de-motivated that i would not try clicking again for two whole years .
    And i would hate the Camera !

The advent of Mobile Phone changed all that ! When my son bought me a Mobile and informed me it has a good camera , i had just shrugged . A phone is for talking . A camera in a phone is such a wasteful technology, i had argued . How wrong i was !

Getting into the Social Networking circuits opened my eyes ! I understood a person is not considered alive unless she posts pictures of everything she does every moment of her life !
    So there I was in the various groups , proving myself to be alive by posting picture after picture after picture of everything I saw everywhere .

Now there was no one advising me not to waste expensive film ! I could click away without fear . If i clicked 10 , at least two would come out presentable and i could delete all others without guilt or stress !

For the first two or three years it was good fun .

Then, after getting into sites like Instagram and Pinterest , i started noticing how fabulous some pictures were , and how poor my shots were .
    Again , disappointment and de-motivation !
    And angry with the Mobile .

I would try and try clicking from all angles in all lighting conditions , but something always fell short . My pictures were recognisable ofcourse , but no one drooled over my food portraits . My flower pictures did not evoke any poertry from anyone .

“Some are skilled photographers . Some are not” I would think sadly . “ God has not given me that talent.”

Then one fine day it happened ! I understood The Truth !

We had gone as a group to a beach in Kerala . All of us clicked the sea, the sunset , the coconut palms everything . We peeped into each others saved pictures . Mostly all looked the same .

On return , some friends posted a few of those sunset pictures on Instagram and FaceBook . I nearly fainted ! They looked spectacular , like pictures we see in glossy magazines ! How ?

It was my son who consoled me saying that they had no greater skills , only better photo editing apps ! And showed me how I could turn my photos too from poor clicks to fabulous Photographs !

Now I am at peace with Truth and myself !
    And continue experimenting in a happy frame if mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
    Sunburst, Anisu, Sandycandy and 6 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good experience on photography. In our days we had only Camera. To buy that also we did not have money. I bought a camera when I was given cash for completing 25 years. Now a days even children know to take photos. But I only used to click the photos and never used to give them thinking they will spoil. That time my elder daughter was in 10th , my son in 9th and younger daughter in 8th .

Then later after marriage when my daughter was in Dubai she bought me a digital camera. I used that also for a long time. Then she bought me mobile and taught me how to take photos. Then she bought me touch phone.In 2014 my son bought me laptop and tablet. Last year he bought be Moto C mobile but in four months only it gave trouble and he got me Panasonic which also gave problem .Now I gave out the sun in Moto but using both as I can connect to WiFi.

Sorry for the long post

Sunburst, SCSusila and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Wow! A wonderful write up, @SCSusila.

I could relate to your experiences. When we were around 10-12, my father purchased a black and white camera just to teach us photography and we used to feel euphoric taking distant shots in the brightest of sunlight without any clarity! Then I purchased a better camera but as you said, we would be calculative, wait till the roll got over and then print only the good pictures! The digital cameras and mobile phone cameras have revolutionised our lives. And life is definitely fun with the apps to enhance pictures!;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Sunburst, SCSusila and Sandycandy like this.
  4. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Dont be sorry ! Good to hear your experiences with cameras !
    What you say about today’s children is absolutely right !

5. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Thank you !
    seeing such great progressfrom Box Camera to I-Phones in own lifetime is really incredible ! How fast the world changes !